06-28-09 10:54 PM
39 12
tools
    Hey everyone,

Honestly posting this just to vent - and because my blackberry can't be used to give me my 'fix' of connectivity.

SO this morning... a HOT day (in Winnipeg! w00t) - I hopped into my swimming shorts and went outside, got distracted unpacking a new chair for the deck and thus forgot my Blackberry Bold was in my pocket...... I then jumped in the pool and came up from under the water shouting "OH NO OH NO OH NO!" Immediately popped the battery out, and dried it as much as I could, I've since had it sit with a vacuum attached to it sucking, and now it's in tupperware with rice...

I actually killed a phone last year the same way, and it's what spurred my 'time for a new phone' decision... and I landed on the Blackberry Bold.. my first blackberry and I LOVE IT... I'm pretty choked about the potential for this one to be dead - and am praying it somehow makes it through!!

What's funny, and what some non-crackberry people might not understand.. is that the REAL pain in the *** about this? is the poor timing.. if the ONYX where out? I'd be like "SWEET time to upgrade!" but now I'll be forced to purchase ANOTHER Bold with even less time before a superior alternative surfaces (I'm on Rogers). And frankly speaking - I just don't know if another phone could satisfy me the way the Bold does (that sounds sexual... ... it almost is - lol)

anyway!!
    that's my vent.. as I sit with a container of rice and a blackberry beside me, trying to resist opening it for at least a few more hours.

love you crackberry!!

-J
    06-20-09 10:06 PM
    If your bold makes it through this, it's a trooper! Sucks that you totally forgot that it was in your pocket! I would've hated myself! Anyways keep it in that rice bowl for a while just to be sure!
    06-20-09 10:08 PM
    I know you want to check on it and see how it's doing, but don't. Leave it alone and let all the liquid get absorbed for at least a full 24 hours. Anyways, sorry to hear that happened but hopefully your phone will be okay again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 10:11 PM
    at this point with the moisture stickers activated and everything. I would probably take it completely apart and then put it back in the rice. I would think it would dry better also.
    06-20-09 10:25 PM
    at this point with the moisture stickers activated and everything. I would probably take it completely apart and then put it back in the rice. I would think it would dry better also.
    Hmmmm that's sounds like a good ideal it just might work..

06-20-09 10:35 PM
    Wow this is some serious mishap.

06-20-09 11:22 PM
    Really sorry about your situation.

I'm not familiar with the 9000 and have never taken one apart. I have seen a few 81xx and 83xx that went swimming and the owners did not take out the battery immediately like you did. ALL of them ended up useless and if they did start, they had keyboard or trackball malfunctions as well as distortions and squiggly marks in the lcd. Does the 9000 have the same type of keyboard layout with the cups that click when you press a button? I've seen 2 that had evidence of shorting the main board when they were depressed with moisture still present under the trackball button. I took it off and you could see the black markings where it shorted. I've also seen certain keys that don't function because of moisture (like spilled coffed or soda) under the cups that dry and create a barrier. Replacing the cup from my scrap pile fixed them.

What I would suggest is what ebedoun suggested - only a step further. After you totally disassemble your Bold, get some canned air (or any filtered compressed air) and gently blow EVERYTHING to make sure the moisture is gone to the best of your ability, then put it back in the container of rice for at least another day.

I'm sorry to say, but I've never seen a drenched berry survive. I'm still hoping your's will since you removed the battery immediately. Please keep us posted.

Forgot to ask - any insurance???
    06-20-09 11:52 PM
    if you have an old phone use it as a sub while the new BB is getting developed.
    06-20-09 11:53 PM
    Prayer for a Saturated BlackBerry

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me.
    Thy sealed container and thy rice, they comfort me.
    Thou pushest my email in the presence of the iPhone.
    Thou annointest my LED with brightness.
    My apps runneth over.

Surely goodness and SMS shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of Crackberry forever.

Amen.

Hope your phone is feeling better soon.
    06-21-09 12:01 AM
    Are you crazy. I would never do that. Lol!!!

06-21-09 12:38 AM
    Hey everyone,

OK - so the update..

I couldn't resist trying it out .. the event was early in the day and it's now midnight-ish. I let it sit with a vacuum sucking at it for like an hour, and then put it in a bowl (then tupperware) of rice........ ok so..

my first attempt was actually maybe an hour ago - and I was like "omg omg it's working" the screen when fully white you could tell had some distortion but upon loading home screen you can barely tell totally usable.. BUT a number of my keys where working odd (pressing delete would bring up character lh - back made a jk (ironic?)).. pulled battery put back in rice...

attempt 2.. pulled it out, canned aired it a bit... and popped battery in. loading loading.. screen still distorted (though as i say 100% usable...) but everything.. works.. tested the full alphabet everything SEEMS fine

promptly pulled battery and put back in rice........ so at this point I'm actually getting optimistic!!!

I realize I probably should have waited longer to try it.. but now that it SEEMS like it's working.. not sure...I'm still thinking I'll let it sit in rice till tomorrow and then pop it open and hope for the best!

Running a half marathon tomorrow - what a pain not to have a phone!! this is sadly my only Rogers phone (my previous one (a sony) came to an unfortunate end)

If it does fail - man.. I wish the onyx had a street date, lol.

But I'm INTENSELY hopeful!! *crosses fingers*
    06-21-09 01:14 AM
    Wow..thats good news so far! Good luck on a full recovery for your sick BB
    06-21-09 01:39 AM
    Good Luck !!
    06-21-09 08:47 AM
    Hey everyone,
    SO this morning... a HOT day (in Winnipeg! w00t) - I hopped into my swimming shorts and went outside, got distracted unpacking a new chair for the deck and thus forgot my Blackberry Bold was in my pocket...... I then jumped in the pool

I actually killed a phone last year the same way,
    Unfortunate to do it once ... but twice!!!
    That's careless my friend
    06-21-09 09:18 AM
    Prayer for a Saturated BlackBerry

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me.
    Thy sealed container and thy rice, they comfort me.
    Thou pushest my email in the presence of the iPhone.
    Thou annointest my LED with brightness.
    My apps runneth over.

Surely goodness and SMS shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of Crackberry forever.

Amen.

Hope your phone is feeling better soon.
    Sorry about your bold I hope it survives

LMAO..that prayer is so funny LOL

06-21-09 09:53 AM
    I'm sorry for your loss ::::bows head::::

06-21-09 10:03 AM
    Wow, if you save it my faith in the world will be restored good luck

06-21-09 10:50 AM
    Sorry about your phone...

BUT LOL @ the HOT day in Winterpig

PS NEVER use a vacuum to suck water or anything out of electronics..VERy bad idea..The vacuum cause static electricity & can fry the little gizmos on the board..
    Last edited by BlankBerry; 06-21-09 at 02:34 PM.
    06-21-09 02:26 PM
    IT'S ALIVE!! haha

This morning, I made the executive decision to bring it with me on my first half marathon (the Manitoba Marathon)

SO I used qik to stream from my Blackberry Bold (9000) that LITERALLY jumped in a pool the day before... can check out my journey at qik.com/jwsutts - I'm SO happy it worked!!!

I'm still not sure if battery life will be affected - and the screen has some weird distortions (MOSTLY visible on a white screen or odd angles - looking at it dead on at home screen? can hardly tell - it's awesome)

PHEW..... now.... for a nap.
    06-21-09 03:54 PM
    Wow! Shocking.

Btw, congrats on your mini!

06-21-09 04:32 PM
    Awesome that it still works! I am very happy for you.

06-21-09 05:47 PM
    I had my storm completely fall in water. I removed the battery immediately and let it dry for a day. For the first couple of days the touch screen would have random episodes where it would not recognize my touch but now about a week and a half later it works as if it never touched water
    06-21-09 06:08 PM
    Hey everyone,

OK - so the update..

I couldn't resist trying it out .. the event was early in the day and it's now midnight-ish. I let it sit with a vacuum sucking at it for like an hour, and then put it in a bowl (then tupperware) of rice........ ok so..

my first attempt was actually maybe an hour ago - and I was like "omg omg it's working" the screen when fully white you could tell had some distortion but upon loading home screen you can barely tell totally usable.. BUT a number of my keys where working odd (pressing delete would bring up character lh - back made a jk (ironic?)).. pulled battery put back in rice...

attempt 2.. pulled it out, canned aired it a bit... and popped battery in. loading loading.. screen still distorted (though as i say 100% usable...) but everything.. works.. tested the full alphabet everything SEEMS fine

promptly pulled battery and put back in rice........ so at this point I'm actually getting optimistic!!!

I realize I probably should have waited longer to try it.. but now that it SEEMS like it's working.. not sure...I'm still thinking I'll let it sit in rice till tomorrow and then pop it open and hope for the best!

Running a half marathon tomorrow - what a pain not to have a phone!! this is sadly my only Rogers phone (my previous one (a sony) came to an unfortunate end)

If it does fail - man.. I wish the onyx had a street date, lol.

But I'm INTENSELY hopeful!! *crosses fingers*
    Dude, resist the urge.....
    leave it alone for at least another day....
    just go play...
    go swim...... ya know your BB's safe and "rice'd up" at this point lol (sorry couldn't resist)

the more you use it when it's not fully dry the greater your chance of corrosion and failure (long after you think you are in the free and clear)
    06-21-09 06:10 PM
    I have personally put many phones through the washing machine(Never my BB though, thats not cool)

I have always taken the battery out and set it in front of one of those little heater things(not to close though don't want to melt it) and let it sit there for a day. Every single one has always work perfectly for me, its even been a whole lot cleaner.
    06-21-09 09:00 PM
    Hope it turns out okay.
    06-21-09 09:04 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD