Got a new 9000 from AT&T in December. Very happy with it. However recently started to have trackball problems and decided to get it replaced. Just before that I had to fly to London for a few days. Had bold in my pocket during flight. Start it up mid-flight with radio switched off; type a couple of emails. Battery showed about 85% full. Turn bold off (by holding down end call key) and put back in pocket. On landing 3 hours later discover bold won't even start up as battery is dead. Have to put it on charger when I get to hotel and after a few minutes device boots up, but battery needs a full recharge. Decide this is some weird freak atmospheric effect.

On return flight exact same thing happens - battery drains down to dead while device is switched off in my pocket. Take device back to AT&T store and get replacement because of trackball issue.

Loving new 9000. Have it switched off but on charger one night and go to bathroom during night. Notice bold with bright green light indicating fully charged. take it off charger and leave it still switched off on table. In morning battery is completely dead and needs full recharge. Test this 2 nights later by recharging (with device turned off) till bright steady green light shows. Take off charger and turn on. Battery fully charged. Turn device off and leave overnight (switched off and not connected to charger). In morning battery again completely dead. Recovers after full recharge.

What is going on? Any ideas? Anyone else seen this happen? Have to decide whether to return this one or ask for a new battery... Or is there something I'm not understanding here? Guess I could carry a spare battery and charger but surely this shouldn't be happening.

Thanks in advance.
    04-26-10 06:21 PM
    Sometimes the phone will show full charge, but, it is not.

This might be caused by the AC/charger that you are using not giving a full required voltage. Try charging with another RIM branded charger or the USB>computer for overnight. Some chargers do go bad. Sometimes people use non-RIM branded chargers and have problems too.

Or, it might be a defective battery.
    04-26-10 07:14 PM
    Happening to me too.. draining very fast now.. on/off, makes no difference.. tends to go to a white screen around the 50% mark.. after waiting awhile and putting the battery back in, you can usually boot it, but you have to immediately switch it to 2G EDGE so it doesn't use the same power as 3G.

I've since ordered a new seidio battery.. it shipped today. Hopefully it's only the battery.
    04-26-10 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD