Hi there,

I'm a new BlackBerry user and I'm wondering if you could kindly help me. Three weeks ago, I received a Bold 9000 which was accidentally placed in the washing machine (along with a blanket) a few days before. Before the phone was given to me, it was dried and in working order. Up until the past couple of days, I've been using the phone without any problems.

Now, the phone does a horrible job with picking up my carrier's signal. When I'm indoors, I would get no reception at all ("No Service") when I would get reception using any other handset. When I'm outdoors, I would get either "No Service" or 1 bar of reception. Once in a blue moon, I will get full reception, but that does not last long. I've tried reinserting my SIM and turning the handset on and off, but nothing would fix the reception issue.

The water damage sticker (visible after removing the battery) is red.

Even though it was a gift (it was decided that the phone would be a gift BEFORE accidentally placing the phone in the washer), I'd still like to continue using my BlackBerry. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    09-05-11 12:40 PM
    My guess is that the antenna connection is corroded. If you have the tools to take the BlackBerry apart, you should see a wire on the mainboard that ends in a snap connector. Take that connector off and check for any corrosion. If so, scrape it off and apply an electrical cleaner that contains polyphenol ether, as you will likely remove the plating to get the corrosion off. The polyphenol ether will help protect the exposed surfaces.
    09-05-11 02:03 PM
    Thanks Canada Panda.
    09-05-11 02:44 PM
    I was able to find a picture of the motherboard online (I will get a T5 screwdriver soon so I can open the phone up).

media.photobucket.com/image/blackberry%209000%20motherboard/rickyrockster/blackberry_bold_pcb_back.jpg

Where on the motherboard would this snap connector be?
    09-05-11 09:25 PM
    After watching a disassembly video, I believe I misspoke. The 9000's radio antenna seems to be permanently attached to the mainboard.

It might still be worth taking apart to see if there is any corrosion you can clean up, but the chances of success are less since the components are soldered on.
    09-05-11 09:46 PM
    Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
    09-06-11 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD