Awhile back I had dropped my bold into some water. I got it all dried out and things were working great. No issues at all. However, over the last couple of days the trackball has been double clicking whenever I try and open up folders, programs, etc. Now, I know that I got it all dried out and feel that the two issues are unrelated. When I call them about replacing the phone under warranty for the double clicking issue.....is that going to cause a problem? What is the process involved? How long will I be without my blackberry? Am I better off replacing it using the insurance I picked up?
    06-08-09 03:42 AM
    You'll only run into issues if the little white square by the battery turned red. If it is still white, AT&T won't really be able to tell it had been water damaged.

If you order the warranty replacement over the phone, you won't be without your BB at all. They send you a phone first, then you send your phone back (using the same box, and they even give you a prepaid shipping label).
    06-08-09 03:44 AM
    You'll only run into issues if the little white square by the battery turned red. If it is still white, AT&T won't really be able to tell it had been water damaged.

If you order the warranty replacement over the phone, you won't be without your BB at all. They send you a phone first, then you send your phone back (using the same box, and they even give you a prepaid shipping label).
    Well if its the little square on the side of the battery compartment.....then it is red.

What happens now? When I got the phone I was told that I had an insurance that would cost 125 to replace the phone and that I could do this once in a year.
    06-08-09 03:50 AM
    You might be able to use insurance to get a replacement, but I think only if you blame it on water damage. If you feel like being sneaky, you could order the warranty replacement anyways, and then when the new one comes, remove the red sticker from your current device using an X-Acto knife (or something similar) and replace it with the one from the new Bold and send the old one back. Depending on how well you were able to switch it, they won't be able to tell.
    06-08-09 03:58 AM
    You might be able to use insurance to get a replacement, but I think only if you blame it on water damage. If you feel like being sneaky, you could order the warranty replacement anyways, and then when the new one comes, remove the red sticker from your current device using an X-Acto knife (or something similar) and replace it with the one from the new Bold and send the old one back. Depending on how well you were able to switch it, they won't be able to tell.
    I am going to have to just use the insurance replacement for this. And I will go the honest route. It was my fault and this is what I get for it. It just sucks being without my bold.
    06-08-09 04:07 AM
    There's more than one way for ATT to determine water damage...play fair, be honest-act like you're going to explain what you're doing to your Mom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 04:20 AM
    There's more than one way for ATT to determine water damage...play fair, be honest-act like you're going to explain what you're doing to your Mom.

That's my plan. I am just going to tell them that I dropped it into the water and I need to get it replaced through the insurance. Its going to cost a little bit but that's the price I have to pay for a mistake I made.

From the sounds of it after reading a little online I should have no problem getting this replaced through the insurance, as water damage is one of the things covered. Hopefully all goes well.
    06-08-09 04:24 AM
    That's my plan. I am just going to tell them that I dropped it into the water and I need to get it replaced through the insurance. Its going to cost a little bit but that's the price I have to pay for a mistake I made.

From the sounds of it after reading a little online I should have no problem getting this replaced through the insurance, as water damage is one of the things covered. Hopefully all goes well.
    Tell them the whole story; I'm not sure on this point but they may determine the two issues are not related; they may be able to see that they are related..ATT has been very understanding with me on issues..

06-08-09 04:38 AM
    Tell them the whole story; I'm not sure on this point but they may determine the two issues are not related; they may be able to see that they are related..ATT has been very understanding with me on issues..

I was drunk and dropped my phone where a phone should not go. It was a very stupid mistake. I put the phone into a bag of rice like I had read on these forums and it seemed to dry it out. Now that I think about it I did have this issue, to a very minor extent, very quickly after the incident. Its just gotten worse quickly.
    06-08-09 04:42 AM
    I was drunk and dropped my phone where a phone should not go. It was a very stupid mistake. I put the phone into a bag of rice like I had read on these forums and it seemed to dry it out. Now that I think about it I did have this issue, to a very minor extent, very quickly after the incident. Its just gotten worse quickly.
    Understood...if you figure you're going to take the hit for the insurance deductible maybe look into doing your own trackball swap or doing the exchange through an OEM shop; looked like $59 for the swap and if they don't void your warranty because they are OEM you keep about $65 in your wallet. I'm sure someone will jump in with knowledge of OEM shops and warranty retention. If not contact an OEM shop and inquire.

06-08-09 04:55 AM
    Just to add something to this. Remember that if you drop your phone in water and replace that sticker with a white one, legend has it that there is another water indicator inside the phone.

If you already have insurance you could call them and say that you threw your phone at someone. It wouldn't matter. Insurance covers pretty much everything.
    06-08-09 01:03 PM
    Well I talked to ATT today. I have a refurbished Blackberry Bold on the way as a warranty replacement. Turns out I was looking at the wrong thing inside the battery compartment. They said its actually on one of the screws holding the main part of the phone. Odd. But I have one on the way. Until then I will be using my LG non-smart flip phone
    06-09-09 12:02 AM
    There are 2 white stickers. If the one inside the battery compartment is red, they'll know. The one on the screw is their way of knowing of someone removed it to open the phone up.

Good luck.

06-09-09 01:26 AM
    Just to add something to this. Remember that if you drop your phone in water and replace that sticker with a white one, legend has it that there is another water indicator inside the phone.

If you already have insurance you could call them and say that you threw your phone at someone. It wouldn't matter. Insurance covers pretty much everything.
    The Curve 8300 series had this, but I don't think the Bold does. I've taken my Bold apart a few times and I've never seen anything that looked like it could be a WDI (water damage indicator).
    06-09-09 01:28 AM
    Well hopefully the OP can change that sticker. And if he does he still needs to hope that there won't be any residual water inside the phone since he admitted that he dropped it in water.

06-09-09 01:31 AM
    Awhile back I had dropped my bold into some water. I got it all dried out and things were working great. No issues at all. However, over the last couple of days the trackball has been double clicking whenever I try and open up folders, programs, etc. Now, I know that I got it all dried out and feel that the two issues are unrelated. When I call them about replacing the phone under warranty for the double clicking issue.....is that going to cause a problem? What is the process involved? How long will I be without my blackberry? Am I better off replacing it using the insurance I picked up
    i work for at&t warranty escalations desk...... you better go through the ins. man because once we recieve that device back and notice it has water damage your gonna be charged $499.00 which is the processing fee for a device being out of warranty......dont thinK you would want to get charged that amount of money
    Last edited by SICILIANBADGUY; 06-09-09 at 02:23 AM.
    06-09-09 01:58 AM
    Well if its the little square on the side of the battery compartment.....then it is red.

What happens now? When I got the phone I was told that I had an insurance that would cost 125 to replace the phone and that I could do this once in a year.
    ya thats how much it will cost through the insurance and you can have only 2 ins. claims in 1 year
    06-09-09 02:18 AM
    no thats not a good idea at all even with the stickers replaced the certified techs. are gonna tell regardless those stickers are mainly there so that us at&t warranty agents can tell over the phone....he'll get charged $499.00 for the ldi being tampered with or removed in those exact words is what it'll say on the letter that gets back to him letting him no he's being charged $499.00
    06-09-09 02:21 AM
    no thats not a good idea at all even with the stickers replaced the certified techs. are gonna tell regardless those stickers are mainly there so that us at&t warranty agents can tell over the phone....he'll get charged $499.00 for the ldi being tampered with or removed in those exact words is what it'll say on the letter that gets back to him letting him no he's being charged $499.00
    Your reply does not surprise me at all.
    06-09-09 02:31 AM
    Your reply does not surprise me at all.
    im just trying to save the guy $499.00 nothin towards you what so ever just trying to help out considering i work for the warranty department
    06-09-09 02:33 AM
    im just trying to save the guy $499.00 nothin towards you what so ever just trying to help out considering i work for the warranty department
    Okay well, my stickers on my previous 8310 were "tampered" with (accidentally, nothing happened to the phone) and I swapped over the stickers from the new device and your department never caught me. I did do an awesome job though, if I do say so myself...
    06-09-09 02:35 AM
    thats one long sentence dude
    06-09-09 02:36 AM
    Okay well, my stickers on my previous 8310 were "tampered" with (accidentally, nothing happened to the phone) and I swapped over the stickers from the new device and your department never caught me. I did do an awesome job though, if I do say so myself...
    and thats all fine but he may not do such a good job.....just saying i wouldn't really risk it if i could get charged $499.00 and it be completely valid
    06-09-09 02:38 AM
    thats one long sentence dude
    ya its what i do
    06-09-09 02:39 AM
    There are 2 white stickers. If the one inside the battery compartment is red, they'll know. The one on the screw is their way of knowing of someone removed it to open the phone up.

Good luck.

I actually have my phone under my mothers account she was the one that called ATT. I had her ask specifically about that red square that I saw and they said it did not matter. So she made it clear that it was red.
    06-09-09 03:15 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD