Hello,

I live in India and my sister lives in London. She is thinking of buying a 9780 for me but I want to know about warranty issues.

Does BB comes unlocked with international warranty so I can use it in India and get it repaired / replaced if there is some manufacturing defect ?

Can anyone point me to the right direction as to where can we get one ?

What is the best solution ?

Thanks,
    Gaurav.
    08-22-11 03:29 AM
    Hi Gaurav,

Your sister would have to purchase an unlocked/SIM free 9780 from somewhere like Carphone Warehouse, for you to use in India.

It would obviously come with no carrier warranty, but will be covered by RIM's 12 month worldwide warranty for manufacture defects.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 07:38 AM
    If you were to buy one in India, an unlocked phone is distributed by the importer; Redington India Pvt Ltd thro' their channel partners.
    However, please note as follows :

( 1 ) It comes with 18 Months Warranty from Redington India Pvt Ltd (not 12 months).

( 2 ) The handsets are imported to India by Redington directly from RIM under a special arrangement where it comes in as SKD (semi knock down) that are assembled and packaged to RIM standards by Redington India.

( 3 ) Generally, there shouldn't be a problem in this sort of an arrangement BUT I had some problems with my 9780 bold-3 purchase.

( 4 ) Pricing is more competitive now in India due to huge volumes sales when compared to UK.

( 5 ) 9900 is currently imported into India by Redington as FBU (fully built unit) so its pricing is more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

P.S. For imported handsets if purchased from abroad say UK that are unlocked, yes under Terms & conditions of RIM, technically their rep Redington India Pvt Ltd is obligated to take care of warranty issues BUT BUT - Gaurav, this is India ! Redington WILL but most reluctantly and you are very likely to get delayed/poor service from them (for reasons that its not a handset they sold but looking after someone else's sale). Do keep this in mind. Plus the fact that warranty is limited to 12 months, not the 18 months offered in India. (I've had friends faced this problem hence am reporting).

==========================

For more info, you may read this Thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-works-640675/
    Last edited by audio_engr; 08-22-11 at 11:39 AM. Reason: addition of data
    ritesh likes this.
    08-22-11 11:29 AM
    Like audio_engr said....Redington India has a notice outside their service centre, stating that only units imported by Redington India will be serviced. They dont even service carrier sold phones, forget phones purchased from outside.
    So forget the cheap price and go for the 18 months India purchased handset warranty ( you will need it for the 9780,since they still have the keypad issue and some have a faulty dim screen too.) One member here, recently purchased 9780 and had to replace it twice. He now is buying the 8520,till something better comes out.
    08-23-11 01:18 AM
    @ ritesh

+1 perfect .....
    ritesh likes this.
    08-23-11 06:36 AM
    Hi,
    I am using BB torch , purchased on 12.07.12 from India still under warranty, the phone is giving some
    hanging problem, I had shown the set at local service center , who did 't entertained my complaint as
    the LCD is slightly break on the side, but working OK.

Kindly advice.
    10-06-13 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD