Hello all, new user here (first post!), after searching and reading for days, i had no choice but to finally create a topic of my own as I could not find any definitive solution for my battery life problem.

I recently bought a second hand blackberry 9000, and have used BBSAK to completely wipe (White error screen) and reinstall the OS to v5.0.0.1036 (Bundle 1682, Platform 5.2.0.93)

The first thing i noticed after the setting up process was that the battery life of the phone was bad, at last count, it drained an average of 4% per hour when idling with NO apps running in the background. A battery pull can consume upwards from 10% to 15%.

I have tried uninstalling most of my apps to see if it had any effect on the lifespan but to no avail.

There was one thing i did notice however, is that after a battery pull, on which a 4 to 10% drain was observed after the restart, the battery seemed to be fine. It stayed at roughly the same power level for about an hour+. At that time the last app i uninstalled was Opera Mini 6. I had read cases where it had been a battery hog and decided to give it a go at uninstalling.

Initially I was thrilled, thinking I had finally solved the problem, I did another battery pull just for good measure and it consumed a "normal" 10%, while continuing to remain at constant battery level without the 4% per hour.

However the problem now arises again. The moment i use the browser to surf for a while, it will heat up (normal) to about 38 degrees C. This was normal to me as I have had a previous 3G phone. However what was not normal to me was that after closing the browser (options -> Close), the battery remained hot for the next half an hour, with a temperature of about 37 degrees C. At the same time, the battery continued to drop even while it was idle. It will take almost 50 minutes for it to go to 31 degrees C.

In summary, on a fresh battery pull, the power consumption was more or less normal, however the moment i use the internet, or run some apps, the battery will drop at a faster rate even with no apps running at all.

As i know that the phone/battery will turn hot as it uses radio (3g), could my phone be unnecessarily consuming power for radio that it is not using? I have stopped surfing more than 30 minutes ago, so there should be no reason for it to continue dropping and remaining warm.

If there is any help you guys can render, I would appreciate it.

*I use Battery Booster App to monitor the exact % of the battery and its temperature

Here are the apps I have installed currently:

Battery Booster Free
    Battle.net Authenticator
    Copter (Game)
    CrunchSMS
    Hangman
    IMPlus lite
    Quickpull
    Whatsapp Messenger

I have also uninstalled Blackberry messenger in the hopes of reducing power usage as I do not have a Blackberry Internet Service.
    04-25-11 03:10 AM
    With 2 Bold 9000's, at about 20 months, one was getting the white screen where only a battery pull would solve it. Then, when it restarted the battery was almost dead thinking the white screen sucked all the power. *Using the browser especially seemed like a big power drain. *Tried all the things you mentioned and more. *Months of frustration, hoping for the new Bold to come out, watching all the rumors about the possibility of the Bold touch. *Never liked the 9700 so we stuck it out trying more and more software fixes. Finally we realized it would not get warm when browsing and never go to the white screen either as long as it was plugged in. *With two Bolds in the family, tried swapping batteries to little avail. *The other Bold would also seem to die unexpectedly. *ALL problems resolved with a new battery. Not a cheap knock off. A factory original Blackberry original. *Needed one quick so went to the att store to see what they cost. *I was going to order it from CB but needed one quick. It was one of their bigger att stores (stand alone, not a mall storefront or 3rd party retailer) so when I said *it was a little too much money ($47 list I think) they offered $10 off on the spot and I bought it. *That simple change to a new battery instantly fixed it and it has had no issues ever since. *The phone is like new. *Not a single issue since. *Now we won't need to stand in line the day the new Bolds come out (we can wait until the next day ;-) ). *
    04-28-11 03:53 AM
    please help me too!
    04-28-11 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD