Hello,

I have been a fan of Blackberry devices since my first which was a Pearl 8100. I eventually upgraded to get one with a 3.5" audio output (for use in my car), qwerty keyboard and WiFi (to watch youtube). I had gotten a locked black Curve 8520 (Gemini) in a nice Otterbox Commuter case, but after partying too hard two weeks ago, it was lost, stolen, **** if I know...

I had a friend who brought me a T-mobile locked white Curve 8520 (Gemini) from the U.S. and I am sure everything was working on it. I sent it over to Crow's Nest in San Fernando here in Trinidad to unlock which cost me ~$S85.00. When I collected it back the camera refused to work and the memory card slot would no longer read any SD cards. (Boy am I sorry I didn't record the IMEI or PIN nos. Hard luck for me...)
    I know it is not software because I reloaded it with the latest, also I opened it up this morning and realized the camera was not even attached to the main board and the SD card slot was not looking in a healthy condition, I tried cleaning it with some WD40 but no luck.

So this takes me to reason why I am here in this section of the forum, after debating the 9700 and 9650 for hours this morning I have decided to go with the 9650 because of the 512 memory. Another key point is the 9700 is still way more expensive that the 9650 (at least on ebay for unlocked versions).

I bought a new one off ebay for $229.94 (BRAND NEW BLACKBERRY 9650 BOLD 2 UNLOCKED 2GB AT&T T-MOBILE | eBay), I think it is a great deal because it is for $289.95 on amazon (Amazon.com: Blackberry 9650 Bold Unlocked GSM Smartphone with 3 MP Camera, Bluetooth, 3G, Wi-Fi, and MicroSd Slot (charcoal): Cell Phones & Accessories). It is unlocked and it is the camera version (not the corporate non-camera version). I also ordered a new Otterbox Commuter case from amazon for $23.93 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bUvbUpU6819852).

You see I love the idea I can take my episodes of Top Gear with me to watch while I am killing time, also I can hook up the 3.5" audio jack to virtually anything to play my tunes from my 16GB Sandisk card. The only thing I would miss is the dedicated media keys from the 8520 Curve, but the only one I saw with this was the 9300 Curve but it is about the same price on ebay as the 9650.

I do not think I am ready for any touch screen phones because I am sure I will damage the screen, also I love the full qwerty keyboards on the blackberrys (except the pearls).
    Also personally Android Sucks!!!

So now while I wait for my new phone/case I am stuck with a very beautiful white unlocked 8520 with no camera and no media card support ;(

Anyone with any tips or tricks for my new 9650, let me know!

Alex

PS: You know what would also be nice, if I can get a video output from my blackberry so I can hook it up to my cars DVD or a projector.
    11-02-11 02:21 PM
  2. T
    I'm excited for you about the new Bold. But the big question is what will you do better next time to prevent having it get lost or stolen?
    Skylined likes this.
    11-02-11 03:22 PM
    Well now, I must admit I have to be more responsible, so since that incident I have stopped going to the pubs and rather stay at home and on on Friday evenings drink some scotch with a few good friends.

Also I am even considering using BlackBerry Protect, or one of those GPS apps to track the phone...
    11-02-11 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD