when i press the volume up button, nothing happens. the button depresses, but no change in volume. when i press the vol down button, it doesn't even seem to depress. any ideas here? i see the volume icon during calls, and it's only half-way up, so i know it should be able to go up or down more. know if any ways to either get the button to work, or ways to adjust the volume without using those keys? i can barely hear people on calls, and it's pretty annoying!
    09-13-08 03:30 PM
    When I first bought the bold, I had a similar problem. The buttons depressed but did nothing. As well, my right soft key had to be pushed super hard. Maybe a manufacturing defect... I took it back and exchanged it for a good one, do the same if you can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 04:23 PM
    I had my pearl do the same thing. I exchanged it for a new one.
    09-13-08 04:30 PM
    Just exchanged my Bold for the same reason....
    09-13-08 04:34 PM
    well, glad to hear it's not just mine, but bummed to hear it happens...i've waited weeks to get my bold, and this just sucks! after playing around with it a bit, i was able to get the button to work if i wiggled it just right. a bit inconvenient, but something i can perhaps overlook b/c i love the phone so much! not sure if i can exchange it too easily...
    09-13-08 04:35 PM
    I just found my Bold got the same problem~ will call cs on Mon~ ask a replacement~
    09-13-08 04:53 PM
    I've encountered a similar issue, but I don't think its hardware related.

I have noticed that when using just the handset on a call, pressing the volume up/down softkeys on the right hand side of the device works perfectly, however when using a bluetooth headset or car kit, the softkeys don't seem to work at all.
    09-13-08 05:39 PM
    the problem is it not working when on call~~
    09-13-08 06:12 PM
    This is really a design flaw, but is very easy to fix. I had the same issue with mine and fixed it.

Open up your bold and locate the contact pads along the volume button. There's 3 if I remember.

On the blackberry main board area, you should be able to see the three pin head looking bits which will make contact with those pads when it's all put together. What has happened, is somehow they are not bent out far enough. Simply bend them out so they stick out further (don't go crazy) and ensure they will absolutely make contact.

Fixed mine no problem, bad design by RIM though.
    Last edited by shuurajou; 09-13-08 at 06:48 PM.
    09-13-08 06:36 PM
    omg...not sure that i'm ready to open up the phone! if it becomes such a problem, i'll give it a try. also, people that are calling cs, whose cs are you calling? i'm using an unlocked bold, and to my understanding, i don't have a warranty because of it.
    09-13-08 08:23 PM
    Honestly, it's nothing to be scared about. You don't have to pray anything open. Simply undo the 6 screws and gently lift away the black lump surrounding the battery. You'll see what you need to do. It's just as safe as opening the hood on your car .
    09-14-08 02:18 PM
    ok...i'll work up the courage to break into a phone that i paid WAY too much money for. i will pry do it this evening, if i can find a small enough screw driver laying around here...i'll report the results. hopefully i won't be on here crying about how i just ruined my phone!
    09-14-08 03:09 PM
    If you get nervous about anything, just take some photos about what you're unsure about and drop me a PM. I'll help you out.

You will need a special screw driver through. How To Disassemble The BlackBerry Bold | CrackBerry.com this video will help.

You do not need to do what the video does at 0:55 with a special tool just manually lift out the black bit like he does at 1:00. You should see the 3 strange pin things next to the volume keys.
    09-14-08 03:18 PM
    thanks for the support! btw, looking under the battery cover, i noticed that one of the 6 screws has what looks like a little sticker over it. is this to tell if it's been opened up? not that i'm worried about the warranty, already past that point, i'm sure!
    09-14-08 03:23 PM
    thanks for the support! btw, looking under the battery cover, i noticed that one of the 6 screws has what looks like a little sticker over it. is this to tell if it's been opened up? not that i'm worried about the warranty, already past that point, i'm sure!
    I suspect it will invalidate your warranty if you broke that seal. My unit is a seed unit so never had that seal on it. There shouldn't be a user out there that has a production Bold without a warranty, unless they have done something to void that warranty.

Honestly though, this is a design flaw of the Bold, that many users will experience throughout the life of owning a Bold, so may as well learn how to fix it now!
    09-14-08 06:38 PM
    i thought unlocking it voided the warranty? however, my bold is unbranded and came in a black blackberry box...does that make it factory unlocked and therefore 'unviolated'?
    09-15-08 11:10 PM
    Thanks very much,

I've followed the information in this thread and have successfully repaired the problem with my new Bold.

I'd agree it seems to be a design flaw by RIM
    09-21-08 08:41 AM
    Thanks very much,

I've followed the information in this thread and have successfully repaired the problem with my new Bold.

glad to hear that, lucky you didn't follow the 'advice' of this newbie
    09-21-08 09:03 AM
    Thanks very much,

Glad to hear it's sorted .
    09-21-08 09:14 AM
    My problem is that the volume keys dont work and I cant even return my phone.. anyone can help
    10-02-08 02:10 AM
    Nirav, follow the instructions on the first page of this thread to fix it.
    10-02-08 02:17 PM
    Another user with no "volume up" working button here... No exchange is there for the Blackberry 9000 BOLD bought from Etisalat (UAE). I'll try to open it myself. Did it lots of times during the times of SL45. Cant just believe in that kind of thing. But fixing it myself will increase my love for my berry. it is my first one.

Last edited by anton_dubai; 10-15-08 at 01:17 PM.
    10-15-08 01:11 PM
    Another user with no "volume up" working button here... No exchange is there for the Blackberry 9000 BOLD bought from Etisalat (UAE). I'll try to open it myself. Did it lots of times during the times of SL45. Cant just believe in that kind of thing. But fixing it myself will increase my love for my berry. it is my first one.

Let us now how you get on.

10-16-08 03:22 AM
    I will, for sure. I already cracked to my BB
    But the thing is that I just need a stupid screwdriver and couldn't get one yesterday.
    If I get one tomorrow, pictures will be here by the evening. I usually get so much dissapointed by, you know, such small, almost unnoticeable bags and defects. It is even worse for me than some big issues, but this make me love my phone even more)
    10-17-08 09:46 AM
    Ok. I did it, but it did not work for me. I think I did everythin right. I opened it, I saw the pads (which already had cratches on them, so I am pretty sure that there was a propper contact even before). I saw these metal pins, or how do you call it in English, I put'em up a little bit, with a screwdriver, just by puttin the screwdriver below them (even inside them), and rotating it, so that they are pushed upwards, they make contact 100% - But I DON'T HAVE MY BUTTON WORKING HERE!
    Any ideas?
    Went also to the service center today, was told that they didn't receive some "patch" and cant help yet. What kinda patch they need for fixing hardware issue I don't really know. I'm lost and dissapointed. Was pretty sure it would work.
    Shal I post the pictures? Maybe it works for somebody. ask if you want.
    10-22-08 01:30 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD