Ok, so how does this thing work as an actual voice phone?

Is the quality good on the receiver's end? How about the speaker phone?
    08-14-11 07:07 AM
    One word. Excellent.

Very clear speaker, those that I call make a point in stating it's very clear (some asked me if I was on a land-line). Haven't tried the speakerphone yet, but if the sounds are indicative of speakerphone quality, then nothing to worry about at all. Loud!

Hope that helps
    what phone are you coming from as a comparison? I always thought BB's call quality was right up with the best phones. For instance, my buddy had a 9700 and then got an iPhone 4. I could immediately tell when he switched phones. The processing to remove background noise is quite aggressive and can give that "tunnel" sound.

So if its better than previous BB's, thats impressive.
    08-14-11 12:45 PM
    I think it is on par with the 9700/9780 and much better than the Captivate I own.
    08-14-11 12:52 PM
    sounds better than my landline.
    08-14-11 01:22 PM
    Anyone experiencing issues with the volume/clarity of incoming voice? Other people seem to be able to hear me just fine, but the quality of incoming calls is rather poor, in my opinion.

Coming from an 8330, with which I had zero call problems. Incoming voices on my 9930 are sometimes garbled, often difficult to hear (even with the various volume boosts). "Ts" "Ss" and "Ps" are particularly difficult to distinguish. They all seem to sound like "sh"

Even things like the call waiting "Beep" are not crisp. It sounds more like a "Beepsh" with a bit of extra digital noise instead of a clean break at the end.

Am hopeful that this is just a poorly-constructed handset and not indicative of broader problems with the 9930 line. Mine is from Mexico 5.

Would love to stay with a replacement 9930, but need a phone that works well as a phone and not just a messaging device.
    08-24-11 02:58 PM
    Really, really nice. Clean, crisp and clear.
    08-24-11 03:18 PM
    I'm coming from a 9780 that I thought was excellent.
    Friends and family are telling me the quality on the 9900 is even better.
    08-24-11 06:03 PM
    I have had several, several phones and nothing I have used before comes close to the voice quality of this phone. Superb job Rim!
    08-24-11 07:19 PM
    Fantastic for the headset and speakerphone even in areas with crappy reception. Much better than the IP4 that I had previously in the exact same areas.
    08-25-11 08:03 AM
    I would have to disagree. My 9930 is terrible people seem to never hear me. (Even with 5 bars 3g) If I try to put it in the crook of my neck they cant hear anything. Very annoying.
    08-31-11 01:21 AM
    One word. Excellent.

Very clear speaker, those that I call make a point in stating it's very clear (some asked me if I was on a land-line). Haven't tried the speakerphone yet, but if the sounds are indicative of speakerphone quality, then nothing to worry about at all. Loud!

Hope that helps
    +1
    just had a Mobile to Mobile call fm SIN to DXB..... traditionally horrible.
    Swaped phones fm 9100 to 9900 last nite i just thought the guy is standing next to me

PURE SEX this new thing... and knocking on wood not an iota of a problem yet.
    08-31-11 04:27 AM
    mine works perfectly.
    it even pics my voice clearly on speaker phone from quite a distance.
    08-31-11 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD