Hello! I just replaced my eXpanSYS 9700 for a Vodafone GR 9700. Not much of a difference, except the annoying VF Live browser that can't be changed to Internet Browser my any means (which means an on-net ticket every time I open my browser), and the dual characters on he keys (Latin and Greek, in white and yellow colour respectively).

I managed to update it with v5.0.0.656, platform 5.1.0.153 by Voda UK, but the Live browser is still there...

My eXpansys bold was unbranded, yet on an older version, and I didn't have all those annoying Voda reminders (power on, power off, VF Live etc). Not I want to have a clean Bold again. So how can I do that? Can I use the Etisalat version and get rid of all those annoying vodafone reminders, or will get stuck with some Etisalat ones? I want a clean version with no network specific backgrounds, splash screens, or browsers.

Any help will be appreciated, as I couldn't find a generic version on the berry Software Download site (the official one)

Thanks in advance
    Aris
    06-07-10 05:52 PM
    More than likely the "annoying" things are coming through the Service Books, and no matter how many times you delete them (if you want to do that) they will come back the next time you either reboot, or your Service Books get resent to your device.

You can download and install ANY OS version that was made for your device... just follow the "Upgrade using AppLoader" link in my signature... it's a Blackberry 101 lesson and as far as I'm concerned the Best way to upgrade your Blackberry.
    06-07-10 06:08 PM
    I believe it has nothing to do with the service books, as the unbranded I was using, never installed any carrier-specific junk.. My only concern is that if I backup my current, upgrade it and then restore my contacts etc, the default browser data will be retained. Or this has nothing to do with data backup and restore?
    06-07-10 06:12 PM
    I believe it has nothing to do with the service books, as the unbranded I was using, never installed any carrier-specific junk.. My only concern is that if I backup my current, upgrade it and then restore my contacts etc, the default browser data will be retained. Or this has nothing to do with data backup and restore?
    I guess you can believe what you want about "carrier-specific junk"... doesn't matter to me... I've only give you my opinion on your issue.

Backup using DM (Desktop Manager), which does the same thing as the upgrade process of your OS backs up your personal data and settings, which does include the default browser data.
    06-07-10 06:22 PM
    And any of those settings can be cleared by going into DM > Backup/Restore > Advanced > then select whatever database you wish to clear and push the Clear button... please do a complete backup before doing any of this since you might want some of these settings or data back if you accidentally clear something that is important to you.

But like I said more than likely some of these things are coming from your Service Books... but you don't believe me on that subject anyways.
    06-07-10 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD