I just downloaded the upgrade for my Bold and I was wondering if AT&T Charges you for the visual voicemail? I am on the site now and it is showing me that it does not charge you, but you never know with these companies.

Please give me some insight I would REALLY appreciate it, this would be a great feature for my phone.
    08-27-09 08:54 AM
    Not it does not. Provisioning the Visual Voicemail on the account is free and so is the service.
    08-27-09 08:56 AM
    Nice, Thank you!
    08-27-09 08:59 AM
    but there have been rumors that it may cost $4.99 in the future....just be aware and watch your statement. hope they were just rumors
    08-27-09 09:12 AM
    YouMail is much better with more features, and it's free.
    08-27-09 10:43 AM
    Youmail is nice, but I experience memory leak with it, so I removed it
    08-27-09 10:50 AM
    Youmail is nice, but I experience memory leak with it, so I removed it
    Just close the app when not in use...
    08-27-09 10:56 AM
    As long as you retain a BB data plan, the service will remain free.
    08-27-09 11:53 AM
    As long as you retain a BB data plan, the service will remain free.
    what is your statement based on?

not calling you a liar, just wondering how you know this...
    08-27-09 12:19 PM
    From what I know, Youmail charges you to read your email on your BB. Is that correct?
    08-27-09 12:23 PM
    what is your statement based on?

not calling you a liar, just wondering how you know this...
    Dcad is correct. It uses data, so if you have an unlimited data plan, it's no problem. It advises you of this during the setup process. You can also look it up on AT&T's web site and/or knowledge base articles I believe.
    08-27-09 12:28 PM
    From what I know, Youmail charges you to read your email on your BB. Is that correct?
    How can youmail possibly charge you to read email?

Edit: Maybe you're talking about voicemail transcription, and in that case, yes It's a paid servive that you can either opt-in or out of. And at this point, it isn't worth it. Even google's free transcription is way off the mark.
    Last edited by mookish; 08-27-09 at 01:48 PM.
    08-27-09 01:45 PM
    How can youmail possibly charge you to read email?

Edit: Maybe you're talking about voicemail transcription, and in that case, yes It's a paid servive that you can either opt-in or out of. And at this point, it isn't worth it. Even google's free transcription is way off the mark.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about is the transcription. So what is the point of having visual voicemail? I guess I don't get it. Can someone explain?
    08-27-09 02:19 PM
    That's exactly what I'm talking about is the transcription. So what is the point of having visual voicemail? I guess I don't get it. Can someone explain?
    It's still visual as you can see exactly who left you a message and what time as opposed to just seeing that you have 5 new voicemails. Also, you can play the messages in any order, like if you were waiting for a business call and missed it, you can just click that message first rather than listen and skip all your buddies saying hey are we going to the bar tonight.

transcription just attempts to take it a step further by letting you actually read what is said, but it's still new and very inaccurate and depends on how slowly and clearly the person is speaking and what background noises are there and the software doing the actual transcription. Needs more time.
    Last edited by mookish; 08-27-09 at 02:33 PM.
    08-27-09 02:31 PM
    Dcad is correct. It uses data, so if you have an unlimited data plan, it's no problem. It advises you of this during the setup process. You can also look it up on AT&T's web site and/or knowledge base articles I believe.
    that's great of course, one of the other threads was saying that there would be an additional $4.99 regardless of data plan status...

i didn't go back to that thread yet, so maybe that was corrected as well. hope it works out that way haha
    08-27-09 02:33 PM
    but there have been rumors that it may cost $4.99 in the future....just be aware and watch your statement. hope they were just rumors
    They got it wrong, call ATT yourself. It's the ENHANCED VVM that costs money. Enhanced just extends how long msgs are kept, extended msgs, etc. Basic VVM is FREE
    08-27-09 02:44 PM
    They got it wrong, call ATT yourself. It's the ENHANCED VVM that costs money. Enhanced just extends how long msgs are kept, extended msgs, etc. Basic VVM is FREE
    that's fine, i believe you guys, and i know it costs nothing now...the comment made was that it may cost down the road. ATT CSRs may not know that it would cost $ in the future, or may not be allowed to say so. but regardless, GOOD haha
    08-27-09 02:46 PM
    Can't post a link as I have under ten posts, but, it is on ATT's website.

Although, I will admit that they did change the wording on the pageform yesterday's "Visual Voicemail is currently available – free with the purchase of a data plan – for the BlackBerry Bold™ smartphone*."
    08-27-09 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD