I noticed there were a few apps that offer virus protection. Its it work it? Does any on run active protection?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 06:49 PM
    Personally, I would never run a "virus protection software" on any smartphone I used. Seems a little fishy, they all came out of the blue as of late, for YEARS there was never an issue on the BlackBerry OS with it getting any virus's, so I don't know why the recent surge in these applications.

Just play the same rule of thumb you would on a computer, if you dont trust it, dont click it.
    06-19-10 06:52 PM
    RIMs are pretty secure and I've never heard of anyone getting a virus. I put Lookout on my Hubby's Droid because it is android and discovered they had a blackberry version as well. I put it on mine but not so much for the virus protection as it has a phone locator and wiper in case it's lost or stolen. Seems to work great and it was free.
    06-19-10 06:54 PM
    Ok. Sounds good. Are virus's common on bb's?

06-19-10 06:54 PM
    Ok. I might check it out.

06-19-10 06:55 PM
    There are no authenticated records of virus or other malware managing to invade a BlackBerry without human assistance. Basically, a virus is a program, and to run anything on a BB you first have to click OK and give permission to install it. That makes it tough to slip past a smart owner.

However, there is one caution. Many BlackBerry phones also get used as USB storage, you can connect to a PC and use the phone like a USB flash drive. There is a plague of malware circulating PCs which travels by USB, and will try to load itself from an infected computer onto any USB storage device it sees. These viruses won't hurt your phone (they are written for Windows, not BB) but they can travel between computers using the phone as a vector like any other USB storage device. If you are connecting to unknown computers use due diligence when connecting back to your own PC. You need to scan from a Windows PC to find these problems.
    06-19-10 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD