Hi All,

I've been very excited by the Bold and was very impressed with the video examples that came with the player. I got an 8gig microSD card that I loaded up with videos. At first I was using DivX files that I had previously used on my Palm TX, and found that I could play videos to start no problems, but if I paused, then tried to use the scroll bar to fast forward/rewind, the BB would crash and restart the OS. I thought then that it might be the file format, so I reconverted some videos using mp4, 480x320, 25 fps, 672kbps, 160kbit AAC, 48khz. These videos looked better than the AVI's, but these files are also crashing when I pause and seek. Now, sometimes it does work, but more often than not, it will just crash.

I've also tried mp4 files downloaded from Google Video and they will crash too if I seek.

Does anyone know more about this? It's pretty consistent with any video, ranging from 5 minutes in length to 1 hour 40 mins in length. I don't think it is the card as I tried this with a video I had transferred to the system memory as well.

Note: The videos I used were converted using Super.

If there isn't a workaround and BB Video's player is just bad and crashes (which would be a very sore disappointment), is there any other video players for BB one would recommend?

Thanks,
    steven
    11-03-08 11:54 AM
    I'd be interested in hearing what everyone uses for video watching as well. I've had similar issues with playback on my bold.
    11-03-08 02:21 PM
    Mine only crashes like that if I leave it plugged into my computer. Other than that I haven't had any issues.
    11-03-08 03:41 PM
    Hi All,

I've been very excited by the Bold and was very impressed with the video examples that came with the player. I got an 8gig microSD card that I loaded up with videos. At first I was using DivX files that I had previously used on my Palm TX, and found that I could play videos to start no problems, but if I paused, then tried to use the scroll bar to fast forward/rewind, the BB would crash and restart the OS. I thought then that it might be the file format, so I reconverted some videos using mp4, 480x320, 25 fps, 672kbps, 160kbit AAC, 48khz. These videos looked better than the AVI's, but these files are also crashing when I pause and seek. Now, sometimes it does work, but more often than not, it will just crash.

I've also tried mp4 files downloaded from Google Video and they will crash too if I seek.

Does anyone know more about this? It's pretty consistent with any video, ranging from 5 minutes in length to 1 hour 40 mins in length. I don't think it is the card as I tried this with a video I had transferred to the system memory as well.

Note: The videos I used were converted using Super.

If there isn't a workaround and BB Video's player is just bad and crashes (which would be a very sore disappointment), is there any other video players for BB one would recommend?

Thanks,
    steven
    I have the same problem with MP4 when I try to fast forward it totally crashes.
    11-04-08 09:08 AM
    I mentioned this in Kayla's post when she first got the Bold. I haven't found a solution other than not seeking the video. It can be frustrating especially when the media player doesn't remember where you last left on in a movie.
    11-04-08 09:56 AM
    Got mine yesterday and having the same problem. Its extremely frustrating. Even if the seek worked, I don't like it. Wish you could jump to a specific time by entering it. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!
    11-06-08 09:16 AM
    I couldnt view anything from youtube or similar sites. Nor could I access CV, MediaNet, etc... you have to call AT&T and tell them. My problem was that I had an old Cingular data package ($39.99 unlimited incl./1500 text messages). The old package did not allow me to access medianet, and thus I was blocked from viewing it or youtube. They changed over my plan to the 'new' AT&T data package and I was up and running! (had to pay $5 more, but whatever, everything works just fine!)
    11-06-08 02:16 PM
    I'm having a similar problem, my bold will only play the first 4:09 of any video and when I try fast forwarding past this I get an error message. HELP!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 12:37 AM
    I'm having a similar problem, my bold will only play the first 4:09 of any video and when I try fast forwarding past this I get an error message. HELP!!

Issues here as well. Help please!
    12-04-08 01:10 AM
    Mine only crashes like that if I leave it plugged into my computer. Other than that I haven't had any issues.
    Hi SmashFace.

Do you mind if I ask you want converter you use, if any? Thanks!
    12-04-08 01:11 AM
    I also have this issue...video seeking crashes OS 4.6.

I tried converting to .wmv but only got sound, no video. Seeking worked correctly...just no video.

Are there alternative media players for Blackberry Bold?
    12-11-08 06:34 PM
    if your using the stock .167 os this is a known bug. upgrade to .190
    12-11-08 06:38 PM
    Had the same issue as ALL of you, I upgraded to .185 and that problem has gone away. I even contaced RIM tech support, they claim that everyone at rim has not had that problem at all. (YEAH RIGHT) it also has allot to do with file sizes over 1 gig.

upgrading the software releases allot of the system memory and you will not have that problem watching movies.

although the video losing sync with the audio is still a concern.

i already called rim and dealt with them, its someone else turn now!!!
    12-12-08 12:47 AM
    ...although the video losing sync with the audio is still a concern.
    Ok King...now you've confirmed my findings as well on this. I'm also losing sync with the video/audio files as well. I thought that it was the way I was encoding it or something!

Thank you for that little tidbit!
    12-12-08 01:05 AM
    Ok King...now you've confirmed my findings as well on this. I'm also losing sync with the video/audio files as well. I thought that it was the way I was encoding it or something!

Thank you for that little tidbit!
    I also used to have this problem but now convert it (to .avi from .avi - both divx) with AVS Video Converter and the problem has gone away.

I do still have the issue of not being able to fast-forward. I'm on build .210 now (and also had this with .190). Anyone have a siggestion?
    12-12-08 10:48 PM
    <Bump>

Has anyone figured this out yet?
    08-05-09 12:10 PM
    Had the same problem with mine. Do the obvious make sure you have the latest software. Format you mem card whilst in the phone. That sorted mine out completely.
    08-05-09 12:16 PM
    I've had the video crashing problem on my Bold when using OS 4.6 but now I'm on the beta OS 5, I haven't had any issues. I think it's a software-related problem.

08-05-09 12:49 PM
    <Bump>

Has anyone figured this out yet?
    it was figured out a long time ago....it was all about the old OS....167 sucked. i've upgraded to .185, .190, .247 and.266 (current), none of which had that problem. as soon as i upgraded that first time, my video never froze again.
    08-05-09 02:01 PM
    Thanks everyone.

I wonder why AT&T doesn't put out new releases?
    08-05-09 02:27 PM
    I am glad I found this thread. I have been having the same problem with crashing if I fast-forward. I have .167 and have encountered this problem--it makes my Bold act like a Treo 650 (haha) with all those lockups/reboots etc. I have figured out good settings for Handbrake conversion (at this link, my name #48) which seem to provide great balance of quality/file-size and lack of problem with audio-video sync--but they don't fix this issue of crashing when scanning. (The Basic-Classic mod converts faster, the iPod-iTouch mod makes smaller files and doesn't crash as much when fast-forwarding/seeking etc but does sometimes result in "stutter" every 15 seconds or so and can have audio-video sync unless you get those settings exactly right.)

So if I want to upgrade from .167 to (say) .185 (someone else suggested .282 results in slow media file scanning) where would I find the OS?

Update: today I updated the OS to 4.6.0.517 (installation instructions, 4.6.0.517 page) and that fixed it, no problems anymore with videos at all.
    Last edited by larrytxeast; 10-20-09 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Linked to thread about slow scan times with OS .282
    10-19-09 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD