Couple of interesting things just happened I'll let you guys watch the video and then I'll comment later on

07-03-16 06:52 PM
    And why I think it got hot and overheated so quickly is maybe something to do with the fact that I'm not sure I connected the ribbon properly for the trackpad connection circled in this photo. I'm going to have to watch videos on that alone and see if I did something wrong, as far as I can see you put the ribbon under the main button and then press the button down it's sort of glued and holds the trackpad ribbon in place.......when I refer to "trackpad ribbon" in this pic I mean the copper coloured ribbon that goes under the black one......

I need to know if this is how it's done?
    Video: 9900 Keyboard Update-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467591583.802691.jpg
    07-03-16 07:19 PM
    Wow! Heating up like that can't be good. Is this the kb you split apart? From photo & description, I'm not seeing a problem with TP connection. But then, I'm at least 2000 miles away. Lol.

Idk. Way too strange. What ever KB is causing heat should never be used again, imo.

I'm simply perplexed. The 2011 vintage 9900 I'm typing this on is on its 8th, or 9th?, keyboard! I've never concerned myself with rev # or anything other than TrackPad protrusion. Never a hiccup swapping kb. I've swapped countless dozens over the years. Luck of the draw? Idk. Vast majority of these boards I've used come from a single LARGE batch my company procured years ago. ?? They're all rev 4, afaik. ???

Madeningly perplexing and it isn't even my phone! Truly wish it were mine so I could dig in & resolve. Unresolved ANYthing drives me nuts. Just my personality type, I guess. Lol.

Surely you and MushroomDaddy are removing the battery before pulling the KB? Just to cover the bases. ???
    07-04-16 08:27 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12491024
    Surely you and MushroomDaddy are removing the battery before pulling the KB? Just to cover the bases. ???
    Can't speak for Ralph but as for myself � the battery was always removed before performing any keyboard swaps.

I might also add that the trackpad has worked fine in all my replacement units, and there has been no overheating - so my 9900 problems (although equally irritating) are not identical to those experienced by Ralph.
    07-04-16 08:40 AM
    Yes battery always removed. Yes Steve this is the original kb and the one I had apart.

I don't know if it matters but I could never get the kb to feel like it "snapped back together" and both halves were still loose. Not sure what yours feel like when you put them back in the device. To be more specific, both halves sat together tightly but if you held one part, the other might separate of its own weight. But going into the 9900 it was all together.

Also when I had this thing at the Electronics place he told me that it was a water damaged phone because the round sticker was red. Yeah one of these places is the place that sold it to me but I never noticed the sticker at the time because the condition of it looks so good and I don't even think I took out the battery when I bought it. The othertwo choices I could've bought looked pretty beaten up, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it because it did work perfectly for almost 7 months.

I'll be ordering another keyboard today just a cheap one see what happens. I'm a little leery spending $20 plus For a brand-name keyboard for a phone I'm not sure I can still use.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 07-04-16 at 11:29 AM.
    07-04-16 11:14 AM
    I just literally spent about eight minutes fixing typos in here. Stupid iPhone keyboard
    07-04-16 11:29 AM
    Yes battery always removed. Yes Steve this is the original kb and the one I had apart.

I don't know if it matters but I could never get the kb to feel like it "snapped back together" and both halves were still loose. Not sure what yours feel like when you put them back in the device. To be more specific, both halves sat together tightly but if you held one part, the other might separate of its own weight. But going into the 9900 it was all together.

Also when I had this thing at the Electronics place he told me that it was a water damaged phone because the round sticker was red. Yeah one of these places is the place that sold it to me but I never noticed the sticker at the time because the condition of it looks so good and I don't even think I took out the battery when I bought it. The othertwo choices I could've bought looked pretty beaten up, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it because it did work perfectly for almost 7 months.

I'll be ordering another keyboard today just a cheap one see what happens. I'm a little leery spending $20 plus For a brand-name keyboard for a phone I'm not sure I can still use.
    Ralph, did you take the plastic door off of the back of the trackpad before putting the pc board/membrane part back in? That little tab may be holding the pieces apart.

Oh, and the two keyboards I have that are out of the Bold 9900 at this point are both Rev. 4 too.

Edit: also, did you flip up the latch on the receptacle for the trackpad ribbon before sliding it back in?
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-04-16 at 01:00 PM.
    07-04-16 12:46 PM
    Ralph, did you take the plastic door off of the back of the trackpad before putting the pc board/membrane part back in? That little tab may be holding the pieces apart.

Oh, and the two keyboards I have that are out of the Bold 9900 at this point are both Rev. 4 too.

Edit: also, did you flip up the latch on the receptacle for the trackpad ribbon before sliding it back in?
    I snapped the back door to the TP back on and in my video you can hear it was clicking nicely. I noticed that there is only one way it can be put on.

I don't know about a latch. I'm done with that KB. I ordered a Blackberry brand keyboard (white) from that guy off eBay you gave me the link for. I'm sure it will work because I have a feeling the KB's at the repair shops were not BB brand, likely just cheapies. The white BB brand KB is almost $10 cheaper than a black one, and I don't care what colour it is as long as it works. At least it has the trackpad in place and connected so there will be no second guessing on it.
    07-04-16 03:22 PM
    White might look sharp! Fingers crossed here.
    07-04-16 04:20 PM
    I snapped the back door to the TP back on and in my video you can hear it was clicking nicely. I noticed that there is only one way it can be put on.

I don't know about a latch. I'm done with that KB. I ordered a Blackberry brand keyboard (white) from that guy off eBay you gave me the link for. I'm sure it will work because I have a feeling the KB's at the repair shops were not BB brand, likely just cheapies. The white BB brand KB is almost $10 cheaper than a black one, and I don't care what colour it is as long as it works. At least it has the trackpad in place and connected so there will be no second guessing on it.
    Roger, I think that White KB will actually look great.

My Q5 is white and I have a black case on it, so it's all black but the WHITE keyboard, and I think it looks sharp.

I have this theme (White and Black) on all of my phones, oddly. And even my Kindle. Phone black? White case. White phone? Black case. It happens to match my car that is white with a black leather interior. I must be metro-sexual.
    07-04-16 04:34 PM
    Ya I like white, I wish the entire thing was . It did look cool when they put a white KB on it to test at the shop but of course the trackpad let me down.

Will definately take pics
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 07-05-16 at 12:39 AM.
    07-04-16 04:42 PM

Ok NOW I'm curious.......here is a seller on Cdn ebay who has keyboards and notice anything about the copper coloured ribbon? It's on the OUTSIDE of the TP button and not tucked under like other pics I have seen, or how I thought mine was. Even in Mushroon's pics in here the copper ribbon is tucked under, so which is it?

Steve.....which is it? You have changed many, do you recall this detail?

Mushroom are you seeing this? Could this be why we are having issues?

I cannot remember what mine looked like when I took it apart. Video: 9900 Keyboard Update-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467706874.813802.jpg
    07-05-16 03:21 AM
    Ok took it apart again and I don't see how it can be like in the eBay photo on the previous post. There is actually a little slot the copper ribbon connector slips into UNDER the TP Chrome plate. So now when I redid this some of my keys worked but not all.

Anyway more good news......(sarcasm)

Will just have to patiently wait for the new KB to arrive

Video: 9900 Keyboard Update-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467709115.914629.jpgVideo: 9900 Keyboard Update-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467709131.098622.jpg
    07-05-16 04:00 AM
    Ok NOW I'm curious.......

Even in Mushroon's pics in here the copper ribbon is tucked under, so which is it?
    To me that (on top) doesn't look normal, at least from my limited experience. If you look at my previously published picture, where the top keyboard is the original as fitted to my 9900 when purchased - I would suggest that's how things should look i.e. underneath is OEM style
    07-05-16 06:20 AM
    Ok NOW I'm curious.......here is a seller on Cdn ebay who has keyboards and notice anything about the copper coloured ribbon? It's on the OUTSIDE of the TP button and not tucked under like other pics I have seen, or how I thought mine was. Even in Mushroon's pics in here the copper ribbon is tucked under, so which is it?

I cannot remember what mine looked like when I took it apart. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1467706874.813802.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	374.0 KB 
ID:	403501
    Yep, the eBay "plan B" TP isn't plugged in at all, in that photo. That's what the end of the TP ribbon looks like just dangling free. Unless someone plugs it in, the TP on that photo'd KB is doa. Lol.

Your poor kb is looking pretty rough, Ralph. Lol.

Btw, do you think that local repair shop might have a drop of deoxit for your connector? Still possible the TP portion of the KB connector might have lost connection? Just one critical pin might shut down the entire TP...??? Justathought. Wish we had a pin out for that connector... Not holding breath on that one! Lol.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    07-05-16 08:14 AM
    Yep, the eBay "plan B" TP isn't plugged in at all, in that photo. That's what the end of the TP ribbon looks like just dangling free. Unless someone plugs it in, the TP on that photo'd KB is doa. Lol.

Your poor kb is looking pretty rough, Ralph. Lol.

Btw, do you think that local repair shop might have a drop of deoxit for your connector? Still possible the TP portion of the KB connector might have lost connection? Just one critical pin might shut down the entire TP...??? Justathought. Wish we had a pin out for that connector... Not holding breath on that one! Lol.
    I doubt they bother with such things. On that YouTube vid I posted a week ago With the guy fixing a keyboard, he was using some compound under the keys (can't remember the name now) and I had asked them and they never heard of it.

As long as the pins on the main keyboard plug in aren't damaged its ok because new one is coming (but now a postal strike in Canada but I think eBay uses couriers)
    07-05-16 11:23 AM
    I doubt they bother with such things. On that YouTube vid I posted a week ago With the guy fixing a keyboard, he was using some compound under the keys (can't remember the name now) and I had asked them and they never heard of it.

As long as the pins on the main keyboard plug in aren't damaged its ok because new one is coming (but now a postal strike in Canada but I think eBay uses couriers)
    eBay does use a sort of courier service but once it arrives in your country it's delivered by the national postal service, that's if the seller are opted into the Global Shipping Program provided by eBay. I hope you get it sorted soon, you must be really missing the keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-05-16 05:46 PM

I cannot remember what mine looked like when I took it apart. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1467706874.813802.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	374.0 KB 
ID:	403501
    What Steve said. The touchpad isn't connected in that pic.

How did you knock out a key?
    07-05-16 06:59 PM
    Ralph,

I know this as been discussed at length before but have you ever thought about biting the bullet and buying a few 9900's for spares?

Here in Calgary I came across a few shops with literally thousands of them from corporate fleets. Some of these shops are looking to unload them so you might be able to get them for cheap. I could assist with an order if need be.

I just figure since your such a hard core fan as many of us are, if you were to buy a few and spend a few hours getting them set up in case of emergency at least your good for a while. Once your trusty device gets up and running again your at risk of starting from scratch in the event of loss or breakage again.

You rekindled our love affair with these amazing phones but I have a few spare phones in case of emergency so it's a matter of booting them up and ready to rock and roll again. It's no picnic setting them up but if you have a few your golden for a while.

Good luck though!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:51 PM
    Ralph,

I know this as been discussed at length before but have you ever thought about biting the bullet and buying a few 9900's for spares?

Here in Calgary I came across a few shops with literally thousands of them from corporate fleets. Some of these shops are looking to unload them so you might be able to get them for cheap. I could assist with an order if need be.

I just figure since your such a hard core fan as many of us are, if you were to buy a few and spend a few hours getting them set up in case of emergency at least your good for a while. Once your trusty device gets up and running again your at risk of starting from scratch in the event of loss or breakage again.

You rekindled our love affair with these amazing phones but I have a few spare phones in case of emergency so it's a matter of booting them up and ready to rock and roll again. It's no picnic setting them up but if you have a few your golden for a while.

Good luck though!

Posted via CB10
    You're lucky to have places like that. I'll have to look around in Calgary the next time I'm there.

I just won a Pearl 3G for $16 shipped on eBay, but I think I probably won't see it any time soon due to the Canada Post lockout.

On a side note, I hope the posties keep their pensions. There aren't many good jobs around anymore. We need someone to raise the bar!
    07-05-16 08:16 PM
    What Steve said. The touchpad isn't connected in that pic.

How did you knock out a key?
    It might've had something to do with my small flat head screw driver slipping and knocking off the enter key when I was trying to remove the keyboard ;-)
    07-05-16 08:46 PM
    eBay does use a sort of courier service but once it arrives in your country it's delivered by the national postal service, that's if the seller are opted into the Global Shipping Program provided by eBay. I hope you get it sorted soon, you must be really missing the keyboard.

I don't know much about eBay because I get a friend I order through but with Amazon they use couriers right to your door, here anyway.
    07-05-16 08:47 PM
    You're lucky to have places like that. I'll have to look around in Calgary the next time I'm there.

I just won a Pearl 3G for $16 shipped on eBay, but I think I probably won't see it any time soon due to the Canada Post lockout.

On a side note, I hope the posties keep their pensions. There aren't many good jobs around anymore. We need someone to raise the bar!

Yes I don't really pay too much attention to these little electronic and phone stores everywhere but I came across a guy selling Bold 9000's in mint condition for $30.

I saw he had so many 9900 and other BlackBerry phones too. He had tubs of them from corporate fleets who had either dropped BlackBerry or gone to Classic's etc. I joked that it was a Kim Kardashian dream and he should contact her to sell them since she recently said she can't find any 9900's as easily. I barely have a clue about her but he didn't even know what I was talking about.

I will admit in a sheepish way that I googled her so I could find an email or something to let an agent, publicist, assistant etc know I have access to the Berry goods! No luck. Figured I had a side gig selling crackberries to the stars!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 08:50 PM
    Ralph,

Good luck though!

Posted via CB10
    Well here in Saskatoon I've never seen truckloads of them just a few occasionally at this one place I go to (and where I bought mine) and they're not that cheap they're 90 bucks a pop. Personally I think they should go 50% off for me because I bought a lot of things there and had a lot of repairs throughout the years especially with getting three new camera modules on my 9780 etc. etc. but I already have three phones and I don't want to spend too much on them. I don't really consider myself a hard-core, like many others are in here.

Yeah at this point I just don't want to start from scratch and I'm pretty sure I can fix the one I have but if I can find a really cheap one I might consider it. Don't panic or anything but my friends got me into Snapchat so that's a little addictive. But considering how frustrating it is typing on this iPhone even right now I'm using talk to text and I watch it as I do it so I can check for typos. My thumbs are way too big for this keyboard and turning it sideways making the screen wide just throws off all the perspective for comfort and convenience.

I was watching TV last night holding my 9900 so that should tell you how much I still want to use it haha.

I have a question for anyone about my Gmail and you know how tricky it was to set it up it took me quite a while back in December I googled how to do it all because no one really talked about it that I saw BUT my question is how long can I not use my 9900 before it might not recognize the Gmail I set up on it. I wonder if there's a certain amount of time when I have to re-enter the device so that Gmail can recognize it and verify it and send emails. Look for example sometimes with Facebook if you been away from it for a while or whatever or some other apps they log you out, etc.

PS if anyone actually read this entire post I just made then you are more hard-core BlackBerry than I ever was ;-)
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-05-16 08:59 PM
    Well here in Saskatoon I've never seen truckloads of them just a few occasionally at this one place I go to (and where I bought mine) and they're not that cheap they're 90 bucks a pop. Personally I think they should go 50% off for me because I bought a lot of things there and had a lot of repairs throughout the years especially with getting three new camera modules on my 9780 etc. etc. but I already have three phones and I don't want to spend too much on them. I don't really consider myself a hard-core, like many others are in here.

Yeah at this point I just don't want to start from scratch and I'm pretty sure I can fix the one I have but if I can find a really cheap one I might consider it. Don't panic or anything but my friends got me into Snapchat so that's a little addictive. But considering how frustrating it is typing on this iPhone even right now I'm using talk to text and I watch it as I do it so I can check for typos. My thumbs are way too big for this keyboard and turning it sideways making the screen wide just throws off all the perspective for comfort and convenience.

I was watching TV last night holding my 9900 so that should tell you how much I still want to use it haha.

I have a question for anyone about my Gmail and you know how tricky it was to set it up it took me quite a while back in December I googled how to do it all because no one really talked about it that I saw BUT my question is how long can I not use my 9900 before it might not recognize the Gmail I set up on it. I wonder if there's a certain amount of time when I have to re-enter the device so that Gmail can recognize it and verify it and send emails. Look for example sometimes with Facebook if you been away from it for a while or whatever or some other apps they log you out, etc.

PS if anyone actually read this entire post I just made then you are more hard-core BlackBerry than I ever was ;-)
    The Gmail has to be verified by google there's steps for this on the blackberry help website (it's not a 2step verification or turning on access to less secure apps, if this works for you then great but it didn't for me) i posted a thread called How To Fix the Gmail Issue with the link to the blackberry help website and it gives you the instructions, it's much easier and faster i think.

07-06-16 04:18 AM
28 12