I ordered a Blackberry Bold 9780 today and I fear it will be quite beyond me. (Yes, I love my Keybo but can't use it at home because we live in the boondocks. Apparently changing to an HSPA network will solve that problem.)

Anyway, the first questions to which I can't find any answers, probably because the average six-year-old knows more than I do, are:

1. Would it be cheaper to buy a GPS than to use the GPS that comes with the Bold? Will it gobble up data whenever I have it on? (I live in Canada and our rates seem hideously more expensive than those elsewhere.)

2. I believe I can download books from Audible.com. Does downloading a book use a lot of data? Or does it use data when one plays it? And should I buy more memory?

3. When I travel in the USA or the UK, can I replace the SIM card with a prepaid one in those countries to reduce costs?

4. Does the Messenger feature work only in Canada, or between Blackberry users anywhere?

Thanks to anyone who has the patience to answer.
    08-23-11 08:16 PM
    4- between blackberry users anywhere if you have BIS activated
    08-23-11 08:47 PM
    1. Yes. Get a dedicated GPS receiver if you intend to use GPS very often. GPS doesn't use data, but the maps use a lot.

2. Audiobooks are huge to download. If you are going to download them on the device, go somewhere that has WiFi and try to use that. Otherwise, use a computer to download them and load them from the computer. Having said that, once the audiobooks are on the device, they do not use data.

3. Yes, but if you want BlackBerry Data, only TMobile offers that on prepaid in the US.

4. Yes. BBM allows you to send and receive messages to any BlackBerry user with a BlackBerry Data Plan anywhere in the world. You, however, will only be covered when you are physically located in a location covered by your service plan (wherever that may be).
    08-23-11 09:04 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

1. Would it be cheaper to buy a GPS than to use the GPS that comes with the Bold? Will it gobble up data whenever I have it on? (I live in Canada and our rates seem hideously more expensive than those elsewhere.)

I have no idea. You'll have to check that one up. The GPS works no matter the data plan but the apps will need active data (there are free apps).

2. I believe I can download books from Audible.com. Does downloading a book use a lot of data? Or does it use data when one plays it? And should I buy more memory?

Audiobooks yes, they have 9780-capable app. The amount of data it uses is directly related to the size of the file which is directly related to the size of the audiobook. You can download them on the PC and then copy to the SD card using the Audible client and play them through the app with no data impct.

3. When I travel in the USA or the UK, can I replace the SIM card with a prepaid one in those countries to reduce costs?

It is a GSM phone isn't it?

4. Does the Messenger feature work only in Canada, or between Blackberry users anywhere?

Any BlackBerry with a active BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) account, anywhere, with no extra costs.
    08-23-11 09:05 PM
    Welcome! Looks like everyone answered your questions. However, you can check out the BlackBerry Help tab for tons of articles to answer any other questions you may have. Also, you BB comes with a tutorial and Help app. Enjoy your new BB!
    08-24-11 08:13 AM
    2. Audiobooks are huge to download. If you are going to download them on the device, go somewhere that has WiFi and try to use that. Otherwise, use a computer to download them and load them from the computer. Having said that, once the audiobooks are on the device, they do not use data.

Audible streams, it doesn't download the files. At least I don't remember seeing the option to.

4. Yes. BBM allows you to send and receive messages to any BlackBerry user with a BlackBerry Data Plan anywhere in the world. You, however, will only be covered when you are physically located in a location covered by your service plan (wherever that may be).

Not quite, BBM will work anywhere BIS is supported. Roaming charges thou will be a pain in the back.
    Laurah is right, the 101s are a good place to be when you're new to BlackBerry.
    08-24-11 08:45 AM
    Thank you all so much.
    08-24-11 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD