A few months ago, I extended my plan by T-mobile with a choice of a new phone. I've used the Curve 8900 and was very satisfied with it. So the obvious choice was to upgrade to the Bold, which apparently was a huge mistake.

From day one, I had issues with the bold. 90% of call end up in "call failure" within the first minute. My phone bill has doubled due to having to call everyone after losing connection. At first, I thought it might due to poor signal, but it happens randomly everywhere, even if I have perfect reception. Many times incoming calls are redirected to the voice mail while the phone is turned on.

Another issue, At least once a day, the phone just shuts down. Sometimes it shuts downs and displays the red led light. When this happens I�m able to turn on the device through the power/end call button. Other times, the phone just goes dead and can only be turn on by doing a hard reset. Recently I�ve also been having various applications error 200 and 300 series. Because I�m not always aware that the phone is off, I�ve been losing many calls. These missed calls don�t always register either, unless someone leaves a voice mail message.

One of the things I like about the Bold over the Iphone is the swappable micro card. My intentions was to use the blackberry also as an ipod. Unfortunately, even this doesn�t work flawlessly. When I have my playlist in shuffle mode, after around 50 songs ,the phone shuts down. Other times it shutdown randomly and can only be turned on by doing a hard reset. This also happens pretty much daily.

I�ve done several things to deal with these issues. Countless hard resets, reload applications through desktop manager, wipe out data, daily reboot at fix times. And most important I�ve taken the phone 3 times back to the store and gotten 3 brand new devices. So the problem is not isolated to just one phone.

Because I�m constantly resetting the phone, I barely get to use the email function. It�s a pain to get it to register and can take up to a week before I can receive and send emails.

Bottom line, there hasn�t been a phone as bad as the bold. For now, I�ll be using the Curve.
    07-13-09 10:47 AM
    So giving up before trying to find a solution?

What OS are you running on it? Sounds to me like the original .167 or something similar. Have you tried upgrading it? Newer OS's fix a lot of those issues...
    07-13-09 10:54 AM
    I have a Bold on T-Mobile with no issues. You just got a ******** phone that's all. The Curve's radio is no stronger than the Bold's--and in fact if anything, it's weaker. The ability to send/receive signal is hardly different across the Blackberry model range. So choosing one over the other simply based on ability to send/receive calls is slightly ********. You got a bad Bold-'tis all.
    07-13-09 10:56 AM
    I experienced everyone of these probelms and upgraded to .266 and I haven't had one issue since then
    07-13-09 10:56 AM
    buddy there must a serious problem with your phone ...trust me bold is the best phone..

you got a faulty one.
    07-13-09 10:58 AM
    You obviously got a bad device, or have an OS issue. This is not the norm for this extremely popular and successful BlackBerry. The first thing you should do is get a replacement device, I would bet that your problems would be solved at that point. I would then look into upgrading the device OS from .167 to a newer OS such as .247, .266 or even .282.
    07-13-09 11:00 AM
    Its not the phone.. Its the carrier! They do not have enough towers in different locations. That maybe the cause of the issue as it was for me. That is the reason why I switched to AT&T. T-mobile was dropping allot of calls for me too! When I called them and explained where i was getting the dropped calls at; they told me in that area they do not have a tower yet. So at my expense i was paying for those dropped calls. Since I have been with AT&T, I have not experienced dropped calls like I did on Terrible-Mobile....
    07-13-09 11:11 AM
    If you had better results with the 8900, I say stay with what works.
    07-13-09 11:24 AM
    Just for the record, I have chosen the Bold for the same reason most of you have chosen to stick with BB. And the Curve (my first BB) convinced me that BB phones are outstanding. Whille, I Have been the laughing stock at the job for being the only one not on (as they call) the most advanced, perfect functioning Iphone, i still believe the wel functioning Bold suites my needs best.

Getting back to business, I've gotten 3 new Bolds from T-mobile. Each of them had a different pin, which was the proof that i wasn't being scamed. So it's not just one bad device. However, my latest device has v4.6.0.126 (platform 4.0.0.135) installed. I assume this is an old OS, so i'll go ahead and update it. See if it helps.
    07-13-09 01:39 PM
    Getting back to business, I've gotten 3 new Bolds from T-mobile.
    When did T-Mo start carrying the Bold?
    07-13-09 01:43 PM
    Wow, that is a really old OS version...I don't even know if that one was ever released in the U.S.

Most definitely, upgrade the OS
    07-13-09 01:55 PM
    They carry it in the UK, along with a few other countries...
    07-13-09 01:59 PM
    You bold definitely has got some manufacturing fault. What I can tell u is-bold is the best. I was using storm which is a f***ing s**t phone. I was so pissed off that I broke that into pieces. Then swithed to this bold and it is the boldest move I've ever made.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 04:20 PM
    They don't. At least not in the U.S. I think they're going to wait for the Driftwood instead of getting on the Bold bandwagon so late. Somewhere there is a T-Mobile executive going "doh"
    07-13-09 04:23 PM
    I hear your broblems, I ve had a BOLD since Decembre and last week it died on me. I got the warranty replecement phone and well as of yesterday that one died to, not even a chance to bring it back to life. No LED indicator on, did battery pulls brought it into the store and nothin. Well there sending another phone and hopefully it gets in by tomorrow. I bought a 8900 a few weeks back but I cant get used to the smaller keypad, both phones work for me but I do love the BOLD. Just getting a little fed up with it.
    07-13-09 04:26 PM
    Before yet another person says "you got a bad Bold," the OP has been very clear that he has had 3 or 4 Bolds with the same problems. So it's probably not a hardware issue.

I would agree with the others that trying a newer OS is a good idea.
    07-13-09 04:28 PM
    From day one, I had issues with the bold. 90% of call end up in "call failure" within the first minute. My phone bill has doubled due to having to call everyone after losing connection.
    I'm assuming you're on T-Mobile from the UK with that statement. I believe
    you are not charged minutes for incoming calls outside of the U.S. on most
    carriers. Just to clarify for anyone who might think you're using T-Mobile in the U.S.
    07-13-09 04:43 PM
    It's NOT the carrier, it is definitely the phone. I've been running error free since last November on the ORIGINAL Os. Replace your bad Bold with a good one!

07-13-09 05:47 PM
    It's NOT the carrier, it is definitely the phone. I've been running error free since last November on the ORIGINAL Os. Replace your bad Bold with a good one!

But the OP is on T-Mobile and you are on ATT. How can you know it's not the carrier?

And - are you running .167 on ATT? He is running .126.

And - he has already replaced the phone three times.
    07-13-09 05:56 PM
    Because I�m constantly resetting the phone, I barely get to use the email function. It�s a pain to get it to register and can take up to a week before I can receive and send emails.

Bottom line, there hasn�t been a phone as bad as the bold. For now, I�ll be using the Curve.
    A week to send and receive emails? WTH? This has got to be carrier or software related.
    07-13-09 07:22 PM
    It's definitely not the Bold - especially since it's been replaced more than once. Carrier or OS problem for sure. It just hurts to hear someone is not pleased with my beloved Bold. Great phone!
    07-13-09 07:35 PM
    Since the 8900 worked well with T-Mo, and obviously both devices are BlackBerries, I would be inclined to think the OS is the most likely culprit. T-Mo can't entirely be ruled out though - since the Bols is 3G capable, there may be settings that T-Mo needs to set/reset/adjust. Or maybe I'm just talking out my back side.

07-13-09 08:14 PM
    Then swithed to this bold and it is the boldest move I've ever made.

Hahahaha word!

07-13-09 09:39 PM
    Again, OP, you got a ******** phone. Don't put out misleading information about Bolds. Same goes for T-Mobile bashers. I understand you may not get good signal, but the same can be said for a lot of other people with XXX carrier. I have T-Mobile and it's been absolutely awesome.
    07-13-09 10:08 PM
    Agree... It is most likely the phones that are bad. Because I cannot also fathom how you say that your calls get dropped on the Bold and it has bad reception when you say the Curve works fine.

The Bold is 3G and so it should have the better reception and call clarity.
    07-14-09 04:39 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD