The other day I tried to activate my 9930, because my Classic is just too big sometimes, and got a message from Verizon that said they are no longer activating that phone to make room for improvements on their networks.

I did some light digging and found that apparently Verizon quietly (for the dozens of people that cared) stopped activating 3G devices some time last year.

So I guess now my 9930 is just a paperweight? To say nothing of all of my JM1s!
    05-06-19 12:20 PM
    The other day I tried to activate my 9930, because my Classic is just too big sometimes, and got a message from Verizon that said they are no longer activating that phone to make room for improvements on their networks.

I did some light digging and found that apparently Verizon quietly (for the dozens of people that cared) stopped activating 3G devices some time last year.

I find this shocking and reprehensible. I suppose AT&T won't consider my request to activate my 8700 unreasonable.
    RCJ28 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    05-06-19 12:37 PM

It's not a paperweight, it can also be used as a small coaster and to even out legs on furniture.

Moreover, Verizon is turfing sub-LTE networks by the end of this year, so even already activated ones will join the club by December.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    05-06-19 12:42 PM

Frankly, even 4G devices will not be activated if they depend on CDMA for making calls.

VoLTE or nothing.
    05-06-19 01:18 PM

It was very loud and clear here on CrackBerry... almost a year ago now, when they made the announcement. Proable because it most affected BlackBerry users that were hanging on to 8+ year old phones.

EBay...
    05-06-19 01:28 PM
    It was very loud and clear here on CrackBerry... almost a year ago now, when they made the announcement. Proable because it most affected BlackBerry users that were hanging on to 8+ year old phones.

EBay...
    One year ago I was sadly using an iPhone 5s after the WhatsApp scare of early 2018 where I was unable to use it on my Classic and therefore had lots of angry family members. Apparently if I just stuck it out for a few days I would see that it would still work. Whoops.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-19 01:45 PM
    This 9930 is still working... For now... All of my spare 9930s will no longer activate, tho. They still provide valuable service as superb typing and spreadsheet editing appliances, tho. Bluetooth still works. Lol.

I tried to activate a spare Classic on vzw but no-go either. Guess we knew it was coming but VZW is pretty poor about anything resembling direct notification of impending sunsets. They manage to fill inbox with all sorts of "announcements" but their vvm "surprise", still irritates to ponder. Lol.

Been loyal to vzw since before they were called Verizon but fully expect this 9930 will cease function one morning with no direct warning from them. Not even a parting kiss! Lol.
    05-11-19 04:34 AM
    I'm surprised your Classic didn't work. I activated my Classic on Verizon at about that same time without issue. It's a 4G device so I don't think there should be any problem.
    06-11-19 07:35 PM
    I managed to get my Q10 to be activated on PagePlus which uses the Verizon network. Maybe you can get your Classic working there.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-19 08:48 PM
    It's not a paperweight, it can also be used as a small coaster and to even out legs on furniture.

Moreover, Verizon is turfing sub-LTE networks by the end of this year, so even already activated ones will join the club by December.
    How dare you!

It is a perfectly usable alarm clock!
    06-13-19 12:36 PM
    I'm surprised your Classic didn't work. I activated my Classic on Verizon at about that same time without issue. It's a 4G device so I don't think there should be any problem.
    It's 4G but for some reason isn't on their VoLTE listing.... but I'm pretty sure I had HD Voice on my Z10. I think if you have a BB10 device it will work, it is getting one activated - past their white-list that is probable the issue.

But might be the LTE in early phones isn't as compatible without a 3G signal too... I know my Z10 was locked to not allow you to change the settings on the networks.

Or just that it's a BlackBerry and everyone gets confused about BBOS BlackBerry vs BB10 BlackBerry or now Android BlackBerry.... all very different products, but that get lumped into just being BlackBerry.
    06-13-19 01:36 PM
    My AT&T branded Z10 never got HD Voice on AT&T. When I switched to the Galaxy S8, call quality was drastically better talking to my wife on her iPhone 6. We both immediately noticed a big difference on the first call.
    06-13-19 02:18 PM
    How dare you!

It is a perfectly usable alarm clock!
    They also make great clay pigeons for the sharpshooters.
    06-13-19 02:19 PM
    They also make great clay pigeons for the sharpshooters.
    I also find they fit the corners of my drawers well when stacked.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-13-19 02:53 PM