OK.....I may get flamed from both sides for this but, what carrier is better?
    Verizon or AT&T

I have a Bold on AT&T and have been with them for 12yrs. I'm told Verizon is cheaper and has better service. (signal/data/3G)
    I'm sure there are opinions out there......lemme have it!!
    07-28-09 07:51 PM
    As far as signal/coverage, that all depends on where you live. There's no right or wrong as far as I'm concerned and I've had both carriers. Then again, I live in the NY metro area so pretty much all carriers will work well.

And who teold you VZW is cheaper? It has always been my understanding AT&T was cheaper although I was with VZW for several years before switching recently due to a different issue.

My AT&T bill on with BB plan is about $10 cheaper a month than my VZW bill was...and on VZW I had a 15% corporate discount which I do NOT have with AT&T. So I don't see how anyone could consider VZW to be cheaper than AT&T.
    07-28-09 07:57 PM
    It just depends on signal strength in your area. Many areas will differ. At my house, you get one bar with Verizon and full 3G bars with At&t and Im sure it is vice versa in other areas.

BTW to others, please keep to topic of the OP's question. Posts were removed.
    07-28-09 07:58 PM
    Factor everything that has been said above and the only decision you would
    have is who will cost you more. Verizon and AT&T have similar rate plans
    anyway. If both have good coverage in your area it's better to go with a
    GSM phone that you can switch sim cards instead of CDMA. Having to call
    your carrier and switch the ESN each time you want to switch phones.
    07-28-09 08:05 PM
    It just depends on signal strength in your area. Many areas will differ. At my house, you get one bar with Verizon and full 3G bars with At&t and Im sure it is vice versa in other areas.

BTW to others, please keep to topic of the OP's question. Posts were removed.
    Garz-Thanks for axing the other post. My construction biz got hit pretty hard and I'm trying to shave my bottom line a little. The chick that's handled my cell phones for a decade jumped to VZ and my loyalty is w/people. She thinks she can save me $$ but there are trade offs. I like roll over min and I'm buried till bout 2112 with lines! (Notice my little Rush shooter)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 08:10 PM
    Factor everything that has been said above and the only decision you would
    have is who will cost you more. Verizon and AT&T have similar rate plans
    anyway. If both have good coverage in your area it's better to go with a
    GSM phone that you can switch sim cards instead of CDMA. Having to call
    your carrier and switch the ESN each time you want to switch phones.
    Well OP I worked for VZW so I may be a little one sided on this but I feel vzw is the best carrier Nationwide. Again like everyone else has said it is all based on your area but I have yet to see an iphone beat me so to speak in speed with data usage. I have challenges with my friends all the time we always go back and fourth but the storm has always won in a data test. As far as vzw being cheaper I don't agree with that AT&T is cheaper. As for picking a GSM phone over a CDMA phone all because you have to call the carrier to switch your esn is just dumb. First off all you have to do is login to your my verizon acct. and you can activate brand new phones and change to an older device all online in 5mins with no phone call. What I use to always tell customers when they would call in is if you have the money to do so then get a vzw phone and keep your at&t phone with you. You have 30 days to try the service if you don't like vzw then return it with no questions asked. Test it yourself for your area and make that decision on your own they are both good companies respectively.
    07-28-09 08:11 PM
    As for picking a GSM phone over a CDMA phone all because you have to call the carrier to switch your esn is just dumb. First off all you have to do is login to your my verizon acct. and you can activate brand new phones and change to an older device all online in 5mins with no phone call.
    On AT&T I switch between my 8900 and Bold more than 3 times a month.
    Three times is the limit on Verizon. I don't think that's too dumb.

And if I wanted to switch from a Bold to an iPhone for a couple of
    days I don't have to call and switch my data plan as opposed to
    if I was on Verizon and wanted to switch from a BB to a Palm
    let's say.
    07-28-09 08:17 PM
    i've had both at&t and vzw w/o the last two months. Granted i have had a chance to fully explore sprint's coverage but so far I have been very impressed. BEWARE sprint charges .20 per min for call forwading.
    07-28-09 08:19 PM
    I would say Verizon just because of the Tour right now
    07-28-09 08:36 PM
    AT&T is still around???? lol

seriously though verizon is 1000 times better then at&t
    07-28-09 08:46 PM
    I would say Verizon just because of the Tour right now
    I played w/the Tour for a while today. I wasn't impressed. After having a Bold for 7 months, I like the size. Had an 8310 for a year or so and the Bold just "feels better"

07-28-09 08:47 PM

Why?

07-28-09 08:48 PM
    i've had both at&t and vzw w/o the last two months. Granted i have had a chance to fully explore sprint's coverage but so far I have been very impressed. BEWARE sprint charges .20 per min for call forwading.
    Sprint is not part of the equation

07-28-09 08:50 PM

Yes AT&T is very much still around....in my area with the exact same coverage as VZW and a lower price each month.

Listen, I was a VZW customer for over 4 years before they kind of screwed me and I switched over. The OP is asking which is better based upon the most unbiased info you can give. That means share your good experiences with VZW instead of finding lame ways to bash another carrier.

I was with VZW up until about 3 weeks ago. If you think VZW is 1000 times better please explain why. Just saying they are isn't helpful at all.
    07-28-09 08:57 PM
    I have had both services and I actually get A LOT better reception w/AT&T than I did with VZW. My bill is a lot cheaper than it was with VZW, too. I'm with everyone else, though... find out which gets better reception in your area, etc., and go with it.
    07-28-09 09:04 PM
    A lot of people bash atnt but I have had them for 6 years and have had no problens with them. Coverage Is really good and I travel a lot. So having good coverage and prices is a must.

07-28-09 09:10 PM
    A lot of people bash atnt but I have had them for 6 years and have had no problens with them. Coverage Is really good and I travel a lot. So having good coverage and prices is a must.

Tennispro4ever-i always wondered how many tennis players were crack heads!!
    I play 3 times a week. Tennis is the only addiction I have worse than crackin.
    My ad!!

07-28-09 09:17 PM
    I have had both services and I actually get A LOT better reception w/AT&T than I did with VZW. My bill is a lot cheaper than it was with VZW, too. I'm with everyone else, though... find out which gets better reception in your area, etc., and go with it.
    Hey thanks-I am a loyal AT&T guy. They have treated me well for 12yrs. Another carrier will need to save me big $$ to jump. Its about the survival of my Biz now.

07-28-09 09:21 PM
    I would get what works best in you area. I have T-mobile because any other carrier does not work in my town.

n
    07-28-09 09:24 PM
    Hey thanks-I am a loyal AT&T guy. They have treated me well for 12yrs. Another carrier will need to save me big $$ to jump. Its about the survival of my Biz now.

I have become loyal to AT&T too. When I was with Verizon the best reception that I got on my Berry was usually 3 bars. With AT&T I have five bars all of the time, no fail, and better reception in a variety of locations that were never even an option w/VZW. The only reason that I was with VZW in the first place was that everybody was saying how great they were. That's just me, though.
    Last edited by JayKayBee; 07-28-09 at 10:00 PM.
    07-28-09 09:57 PM
    I own a business as well, so I feel your pain. I agree with some of the other posts regarding coverage. I have 2 locations, Indiana and Michigan. VZW is pretty bad in parts of Michigan so I got them on AT&T. But I have all my people on VZW here in Indiana. I have been pleased with most parts of the country with VZW.
    Good luck with your business and your decision.
    07-28-09 10:08 PM
    I am also loyal to AT&T. The coverage is good. They are competetive with their pricing, and their Customer Service has been good, thus far.

About 7 years ago, my Mom was very sick and I was traveling alot. I was not aware at the time that I was roaming. Well, needless to say, my bill was horrific when it came in. ATT completely wiped the bill out when they heard my story. For, that I will not switch to anyone unless I had no choice in the matter.
    07-28-09 10:14 PM
    I've had both and currently have at&t. In the NYC area to me they both are equally the same, with none topping the other, no matter how many people say at&t sucks in NYC. In Virgina I give the Edge to Verizon, but they also do have more spectrum and licenses in that market, so it is expected for them to be on top.

Network wise I'd say Verizon is maybe a bit more reliable. Just At&t has had a bit too many hiccups especially with 3G, but not to the extent to say they suck and are garbage in my experience.

Phones definitely go to At&t and the whole GSM technology IMO.

Voice quality is about equal and I prefer differences from both technologies. With Verizion CDMA I like how the background noises are canceled out. With At&t GSM sounds just more natural to me especially with the voice codec forced onto AMR-FR. But WCDMA voice quality owns both in my opinion.
    07-28-09 11:22 PM
    I brought popcorn and iced tea to this sensible and well reasoned discussion (see flame war). I have a Bold and Curve 8310 on ATT no complaints.

07-28-09 11:25 PM
    Loyal to at&t too 13 years i think now with them, no problems.. I have a bold, always 5 bars. I'm not gonna lie there a couple areas I know here you will pass and have some problems, but other then that I haven't really had a reason to switch. I also notice VZW does good in this area too, but why don't they ever have full bars on there phone? I only notice people get like 3-4 sometimes 2 here.

cant wait till at&t moves 3G to 850 mhz
    07-28-09 11:49 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD