I'm ready to buy.. which carrier do you recommend?

Don't care bout prices.. its all about performance for me.
    09-01-11 10:38 AM

I have been with Sprint since 1998, no complaints about the service. butthats just my area. I know people with att here that say their service is horrible. so, I would say you need to talk to people in tyour area first.
    09-01-11 10:47 AM

It really depends where you live. I've had Verizon and never a problem for me in the city. It works great.
    09-01-11 10:50 AM
    Go with Sprint!! They have the best service out there!! Its the most affordable too! You can get an awesome unlimited plan and to use a Blackberry it only costs an extra $10 a month ($30 if you want to use the BB Enterprise server) You get lightning fast 3G speeds and you hardly ever get dropped calls! =)
    09-01-11 11:08 AM
    Go with Sprint!! They have the best service out there!! Its the most affordable too! You can get an awesome unlimited plan and to use a Blackberry it only costs an extra $10 a month ($30 if you want to use the BB Enterprise server) You get lightning fast 3G speeds and you hardly ever get dropped calls! =)
    Zombie, how are you handling the lack of visual voice mail? Is it a big deal to you?
    09-01-11 11:11 AM
    I have been with T-Mo for 8 years and not one complaint. Actually they have gone out of there way to accomodate me. Every time I have a problem that can't be resolved they overnight me a replacement BB. Then I still had a year for an upgrade and they said to keep me they would give it to me for same price as everyone else plus lowered my bill $5/month. T-Mo 9900 has 4G which is basically 3G+. Nothing spectacular though. In my area, I never have signal issue or dropped calls. Lots of people hate AT&T and Sprint in my area of Dallas.
    09-01-11 11:23 AM
    Sprint or Vzw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 12:36 PM
    I'm on AT&T - bought my 9930 from VZW - unlocked it - ran it on EDGE on AT&T

I went to T-Mo to check if I can run their SIM in my 9930 and grab 4G/HSPA (cant blame a guy for trying)

AT&T is still on the fence about launching the 9900.

Plus, an unlocked Bold 9900 running on AT&T's HSPA network is something I havent seen yet. Hope someone can share their experiences on this one.

If you're on a 9930 like me & running EDGE - note that there is a bug which forces the network to turn off and turn back on again when you turn off your Wifi or Bluetooth (its a 15 second process)

The Verizon 9930 gives you only 3G. No LTE performance there.

The Sprint 9930 also gives you 3G. no LTE performance there either.

The T-Mo 9900 is currently sold out.

You could pick up a 9930 if the 3G service is good enough for you - but I'd not recommend running such a powerful phone on EDGE - take it from someone using it on EDGE.

BRIDGE on EDGE is below average.

Just a note - Im not here to bash any networks or service providers; just sharing my research and hoping it helps.

Good luck.
    09-01-11 01:07 PM
    If u can hold out, go with AT&T ... I hear theirs will b 4g

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 01:11 PM
    Zombie, how are you handling the lack of visual voice mail? Is it a big deal to you?
    What does this mean? I have Sprint, and I have free Visual Voicemail. and my wife has it on her device as well....
    09-01-11 01:15 PM
    Verizon for the best coverage, cities, boonies, everywhere. For me good coverage is 99% of the experience. For you might be different. T-mobile would be my 2nd choice. Was with them for 9 years. However their coverage is no where close to verizon.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-01-11 at 01:18 PM.
    09-01-11 01:15 PM
    Yeah, back then. Today, not so. I get dropped from the other end quite often. Seldom on my end.
    kellyj, so your saying your calls drop from the receiving end? That would be the callee's problem , no?
    T-mo almost never dropped my calls, was very rare. Their voice quality was fantastic as well. I miss them for that, but their lack of far flung coverage is what finally drove me away. I loved being able to buy unlocked phones and using almost anything on their network. Always hoped they'd grow their coverage, but oh well.
    09-01-11 01:36 PM
    What does this mean? I have Sprint, and I have free Visual Voicemail. and my wife has it on her device as well....
    Both you and your wife have 9930s? I've seen several posts of people claiming that the 9930 visual voice mail isn't supported by Sprint. is that not true?
    09-01-11 01:48 PM
    Both you and your wife have 9930s? I've seen several posts of people claiming that the 9930 visual voice mail isn't supported by Sprint. is that not true?
    All I can tell you is that we have been using it for about a year thru Sprint without cost. and before that my wife had the HTC Hero and was using it on that device without cost as well. Maybe we just got lucky, i dont know.
    09-01-11 01:52 PM
    All I can tell you is that we have been using it for about a year thru Sprint without cost. and before that my wife had the HTC Hero and was using it on that device without cost as well. Maybe we just got lucky, i dont know.
    According to your bio you now have the 9650. Do you actually have the 9930? I'm specifically asking about the 9930. I have no doubt the 9650 and HTC and whatever else has visual voicemail. I've seen reports that the 9930 on sprint does not. For example this review is directly from Sprint's website:

"Thinking about this phone, READ this REVIEW!
    By DAVIDTP38 - Aug 27, 2011
    I have tried several phones over the last couple of years, the Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, and the Samsung EPIC. All three phones had advantages and disadvantages. The Pre had a great OS but horrible battery life and I couldn't seem to keep the screen from cracking. The BB Curve was great for messaging and battery life, but was slow (Internet) and the browser was not very good. The EPIC was amazing except for one area, battery life. The EPIC's battery was terrible, no disputing it. The Blackberry Bold 9930 however takes the top qualities from my previous phones and puts them into a incredible looking phone with an even more incredible keyboard (which is great for my needs). Even more important, the 9930 takes care of the disadvantages of my previous phones, the Internet and browser work great and the battery life is amazing. I use the phone all day long and have yet to run the battery below 20-30 percent in a given day. The only disadvantage of the 9930 compared to the Samsung EPIC for me is the screen size. I had to make a choice between giving up screen size, but for me it isn't even close, the 9930 wins based on all the other advantages. In regard to battery life, there a few advantages other than it lasting longer. For one, it doesn't take near as long to charge the battery. It also doesn't drain when you aren't using it. I love the fact that when my phone has been in the holster during a long meeting and when I take it out the battery percentage hasn't gone down. You may read that the camera is sub par due to it not having auto focus. I have not noticed poor picture quality and have gotten many compliments for the "cool" and "nice" pictures it takes. The EPIC definitely had a better camera, but the 9930 takes nice photos that are more than adequate for my needs. I still took my digital camera with me when I wanted photo album quality photos when I had the EPIC, so it really is "even" for me. The quality of the 9930 is outstanding. It really is at the top of the market in this regard. The metal band and total "package" set it apart from the competition. The combination of the touch screen, track pad, and keyboard are another advantage. I find myself using all three to navigate. The word "intuitive" comes to mind when thinking about how this phone works. Call quality has been great. However, I did like the feature on the EPIC of having voicemails automatically download. It was great to instantly listen to voicemail. I have not found this feature on the 9930, I have to "call" voicemail to listen to messages. If you love the BB candy bar design then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the 9930, it is by far the best phone I have owned." Emphasis added.

So I'm looking for a current Sprint 9930 owner who can confirm or deny this.
    09-01-11 02:01 PM
    keep in mind two things: coverage and value. You said you don't care about money but surely you care about value. If coverage is the same, go with Sprint as they still offer unlimited data.
    09-01-11 02:29 PM
    I am kind of in the same boat.. With an added twist. I am currently not under contract with att and am stoked to get a 9900. However being that att is mucking this whole release up I am very tempted to bring my business elsewhere. However I do like att for their rollover minutes thing (I get the bare minimum minutes, and only talk about 350/month, text about 300/month) and SIM cards so I can switch phones whenever I want (I usually do it yearly via ebay).

But am I understand that AT&T will be the fastest 9900 as far as internet speed? Sorry its just all confusing with all the stupid designations that the carriers use to conceal how fast their networks actually are.
    09-01-11 03:09 PM
    I've tried them all, and Sprint is the best. Best coverage (no matter what the others say - those commercials are misleading, anyway), most reliable, and best service. Also most affordable. Verizon is OK, but to me it's an overpriced, underperforming version of Sprint.

All the promises about who *will* maybe someday have the fastest network don't mean much to me. Again, most of it is marketing spin.

I'm currently with AT&T due to work and it's horrible. I miss Sprint every day.
    09-01-11 03:56 PM
    T-Mobile.

I've been on Sprint & AT&T before with my voice plans and always kept a data plan w/a Sidekick on T-Mobile; after all the problems I had with Sprint & AT&T, i finally went and got an all-in-one plan with t-Mobile and its cheap, I have great service everywhere I go and I'll never look back.

I'm glad the AT&T merger will probably not go through now.
    09-01-11 03:59 PM
    I would say that for a CDMA carrier Verizon is a good option and for GSM T-Mobile..
    09-01-11 04:02 PM
    Sprint's coverage was okay in Arizona, and had signal in my office (my office is half way below the surface), but the website/customer service was pathetic up to 3 years ago. ATT had no coverage at my office, but had coverage near the perimeter of the building and 2nd floor. Tmobile coverage in the office was the same as ATT, and coverage is limited to the urban area and highway corridors. Tmobile's website/customer service is good. Tmobile has the best prices. Verizon is the champion in the Southwest, especially when they bought out Alltel. Verizon has very good coverage in the urban & rural areas, no other carrier can match them in this regard. Good coverage at the Grand Canyon and in the underground parking garage at my office. The website/customer service is very good. Verizon is more expensive, but they deliver consistently. Consider your area of use, and people around you who use different carriers. Then consider the financial aspect and your tolerance level.
    09-01-11 04:04 PM
    OP as you see most people advises you to get provider whatever they have which is total nonsense, you need to do a little research about coverage in your area and go from there, ask neighbors what wireless providers they using and how happy they are and then decide, as simple as 1-2-3
    09-01-11 04:07 PM
    also something you need to know about Sprints customer service, when calling them prepare to have a free time (a lot) usually they answer in about 25 or sometime up to an hour, worst CS i ever had...thank God I'm with at&t
    09-01-11 04:12 PM
    also something you need to know about Sprints customer service, when calling them prepare to have a free time (a lot) usually they answer in about 25 or sometime up to an hour, worst CS i ever had...thank God I'm with at&t
    In my experience that was the case years ago but isn't anymore. Also, with Sprint (again, in my experience) you're less likely to need to contact customer service than with the other carriers because the phone/data service works so well.

I found T-Mobile to have the best customer service (best meaning quick to get a real person, friendly, knowledgeable, etc), but also found that I needed to call them frequently. But recent experiences with Sprint's CS have been very good. Verizon has good CS. AT&T doesn't.

But as someone else mentioned, the OP has to figure out what carrier is best where he/she lives. In the area where I live, AT&T is horrible and Sprint is great, but things can be different in other places.
    09-01-11 04:30 PM
    Verizon all the way IMO. They have the largest coverage area then the other two and after 17 years with them I can honestly say no issues here at all and they go out of their way for you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Mikey112 likes this.
    09-01-11 05:53 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD