I guess a better question is why do people in general move from whatever they have to Blackberry these days. I understand people who have been using blackberry all along, but what is the compelling thing about BlackBerry? Is it because it's a blackberry messenger device? Or because it's still a better "enterprise" device or what? If you were a Blackberry salesperson, what features would you point out that would be "better" than iOS or Android (or WP7)?
    for me, it's higher security features, less to worry about malware and viruses on bith android and ios. also, the less amount of data bb use for doing the same thing on the other devices. guess it's just about your preference. A phone that works as a phone that does quick emails, texts and gps maps is the main stuff I need for a phone. For everything else I have my pb and a laptop.
    08-29-11 03:14 PM
    for me, it's higher security features, less to worry about malware and viruses on bith android and ios. also, the less amount of data bb use for doing the same thing on the other devices. guess it's just about your preference. A phone that works as a phone that does quick emails, texts and gps maps is the main stuff I need for a phone. For everything else I have my pb and a laptop.

Malware and Viruses is only on iOS if you jailbreak. As for androids, you are correct. Less data on blackberry for everything but streaming media (which I use quite a lot ha ha. As for the email, I love that. My gmail account gets emails in like 3 seconds and my blackberry account gets them instant.
    08-29-11 06:27 PM
    At one of my (multiple) local VZW stores, They have the Smartphones on the flashy side of the store, and on the other side, they have 1 or 2 blackberries next to a couple dumbphones. Its a shame really
    08-29-11 07:07 PM
    Malware and Viruses is only on iOS if you jailbreak. As for androids, you are correct. Less data on blackberry for everything but streaming media (which I use quite a lot ha ha. As for the email, I love that. My gmail account gets emails in like 3 seconds and my blackberry account gets them instant.
    Also battery life. iPhone has some good battery life on it, but I hear horror stories about the new android phones,a nd my friends all carry chargers/spare batteries with them. Even the 9930, which has a smaller battery life, gets consistently about 2 days of use with me before it needs a recharge.

A lot of it does come down to personal preference. I honestly had a storm 1 and storm 2 and loved them(Apparently I dodged a bullet with all the stories of bad/buggy lemons reported on CB here), and I actually went back to the Storm2 over the droid platform(It just wasn't good as a phone/email platform compared to BB. Blackberries have ended up looking the same because they work. Same reason nearly all QWERTY keyboards are the same, +/- funky ergonomic features etc.). But I didn't hate Android. It was actually awesome for entertainment purposes, the browser was stupid fast compared to the storm, and the screen was shiny. It was just not that good of a phone, and the emails were noticeably slower(yes I had push set up correctly:P).

And here's my Verizon story:

I think about 2 months back or so, went to local Verizon store. Walked in, got greeted all nice by the help, was looking around the smartphones(3 Droid devices on the floating pedestal things with the retractable power cords, and to one side closest to the register a Tour/Droid with the same setup...except neither had power and were set lower, and with crappier advertising around.). Salesman was all perky and eager to help till I said 'Hey, have you heard anything about the new Blackberry phones? My upgrade is soon so i wanted to kn-"
    Immediately the salesman got this flat-faced, 'wow ur dumb/offensive to me' look."Oh, no. They haven't told us anything about those phones", in a kind of snooty tone. He didn't sell me a droid, just sort of started to ignore me and futz around with the register computer. Note I'm the only one in the store.

I don't mind if he'd just told me he hadn't heard anything, or even try to sell me a droid! But he was just really snobby and nasty about the fact that i hadn't asked about the new vzw iPhone/Android phones I suppose...
    08-29-11 07:42 PM
    I have my beautiful 9930 and an iphone 4. I choose to use the 9930 every day because it does exactly what I want it to do. I do not have to use a BB for work; it's purely a personal device, and I love it! I took my phone to my Verizon store to have it activated as my desktop was not working. The young man who assisted me had been on vacation; it was his first day back and two days before the phone was to launch in the Verizon stores. His first question was "what phone is this?" I told him that it was the new BB. I'm not sure he believed me (LOL) but the manager backed me up! The employee was really excited about the phone. He is due for an upgrade and said he was seriously going to look at the 9930. I haven't been back in the store (yet!) to see how they are marketing the phone, but I'd like to find out. Everyone who has seen my phone has played with it and been very impressed. I hope that the carriers all give these new phones a fair chance. The 9930 is the phone I have been waiting for and I am enjoying it more and more every day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 08:02 PM
    I just ordered my new Verizon Bold 9930 on the phone with a very helpful rep who knew about the Bold and said he had heard a lot of good things about it. He was in a room of other representatives and the one next to him was talking to another client and ordering one for them too. Chance, or maybe it's more popular than we think?

The reason I ordered on the phone instead of going into a store was because none of the stores - or the non-store Verizon kiosks around town - even have the phone. They sold out on the release day and whenever new ones come in, they are gone immediately.

I don't know if this is because they just haven't been sent very many of them or if there is a reasonably good demand causing the shortage. I'm hoping it is the latter to help out RIM's languishing stock price (although it went up over 5% today).

Can't wait to get the phone, an upgrade from my beloved Storm2. Believe it or not, I really liked my Storm, it is just a dinosaur now. I've never had a BlackBerry with a keyboard (The two Storms were my first and second BB's). Hopefully it won't be a big deal to get used to it.
    Last edited by rickkel; 08-29-11 at 08:06 PM.
    08-29-11 08:03 PM
    Outside of Crackberry, that phone will not be a big hit and everyone knows this. VZW is simply following the market trends.
    That's the truth sadly

08-29-11 08:11 PM
    I feel really bad for everyone who's stores didn't have demo units to play with. I went to two different VZW corporate stores in opposite ends of Long Island in New York and they both had demo units out, next to the android phones, in the front, from as early as aug 15. I was playing with one while waiting for them to process an insurance replacement and then I had one reserved to pick up on release day, the 25th, at the other store (which also had a demo unit out for at least a week in the front with android devices).

Interesting to note that all the tablets and iProducts were in the back corner and all the blackberries were up in front with the androids, curves and bolds alike

08-30-11 01:37 AM
    whats the arguement between RIM and Apple.
    what a wrong comparison.
    can chickens be compared to hawks? or lions to elephant? or wolf to a dog?
    Please this a BB forum. Apple fans/lovers should please stop disturbing us.
    we love our BBs because RIM is meeting our needs and we are well-satisfied.
    if we have any issues with our BBs, we ask questions here and they are resolved.
    if your Apple is so sweet and interesting as the BB, what are you doing here?
    08-30-11 07:11 PM
    whats the arguement between RIM and Apple.
    what a wrong comparison.
    can chickens be compared to hawks? or lions to elephant? or wolf to a dog?
    Please this a BB forum. Apple fans/lovers should please stop disturbing us.
    we love our BBs because RIM is meeting our needs and we are well-satisfied.
    if we have any issues with our BBs, we ask questions here and they are resolved.
    if your Apple is so sweet and interesting as the BB, what are you doing here?
    Some of us are currently using Apple or Android or WP7 and considering moving to blackberry. I'm a former (4 years ago) blackberry user and only vaguely remember it, so all of the talk comparing the one platform to others is useful.
    08-31-11 12:18 AM
    Why am I moving back to Blackberry? Honestly, I just want my smartphone to be a phone first and smart second. So I guess I want a phonesmart :P.

1.Last 5 android phones I had, only the X had good call quality. The Incredible wasn't too great and the current samsung charge I have is horrible. I like to do the Indian CS test where I call CS and see if I can understand the Indian guy on the other end. If I have to ever ask them to repeat, it failed the test. No seriously though, I spent several hours on the phone with many CS for a week sorting things out and I had such a hard time on this phone.

2. I want to be able to respond to texts and emails easily. My phone seems to freeze up every now and then during typing and no one likes to stare at their phone and wait.

3. The cradle is honestly one of the only accessories on any smartphone that I have ever been extremely fond of. This is very personal opinion so this may not apply to all.

4. Reception which in turn leads to better battery life. I am pretty sure I had better reception in general with BB than Android.

5. Ya my android can do anything I can but I always have to watch my battery life to see if I can do that. I literally am attached to my cord most of the day and I find that quite annoying. Even on light use I go through around 6-8% an hour.

6. I'm sick of tweaking my phone to make it work the way I want. I just soft bricked my phone again because it failed in loading a rom and got stuck. When I pulled the cord it was bricked and wouldn't even power on at first. After a while I got it to go into download mode and then my computer wouldn't recognize it even though I had all the drivers installed. I didn't have a phone all day and spent 4 more hours before I was able to load a stock rom on it.

6. The keyboard. Oh how I miss the physical keyboard. I can type just fine on a virtual keyboard and pretty damn fast at that. However, I still make the occasional typos like today I meant to type my dog does ...(something something something) but ended typing my dog dies something something... It happens no matter how good you are because your typos sometimes are real words too.

7. LED notifications. Whats up with the lack of LED notification on the new Android? The X had multiple color LED but the TB only has 1 color and the Charge has none.

8. Battery. I can't make it through an entire day on the 2600 battery on medium usage. I think that's absurd.
    Last edited by m0c21; 08-31-11 at 12:46 AM.
    08-31-11 12:43 AM
    Outside of Crackberry, that phone will not be a big hit and everyone knows this. VZW is simply following the market trends.
    That's the truth sadly

I disagree.
    I have got a couple hundred coworkers that are asking when they will be eligible to upgrade because they all want the new Bold. I can assure you, 99% of them have not heard of CrackBerry.com.
    Some were able to upgrade immediately and are very excited about the new Bold. Others were... well ...disappointed. They have to wait a while.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 09-01-11 at 10:37 AM.
    09-01-11 10:35 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD