I use to have a 9630 until I spilled a cup of coke on it, then have been using my backup 8330. Verizon gave me a 1 year upgrade price on any phone and haven't used it yet and getting impatient for this Bold 9650 to come out. Could I get another 9630 than if the 9650 gets released within 30 days switch to that? Just thinking out loud here.
    05-20-10 09:05 PM
    YEs, if you use your upgrade for the 9630, you can return it within 30 days and get the 9650. I was told that last night at a Verizon store because I asked the same question. I too have an 8330 that might not make it another two weeks and was considering an 8530 to hobble along with until the Bold hits VZW... you can't go wrong with $29.99 on an upgrade price! Just dump it within 30 days and you're ok. That's what I was told by a very UNPLEASANT woman. Why are they always so nasty in the store and so wonderful on the phone? I never understand that? You're standing there right in their face and....

My situation is for a TWO year upgrade but I am assuming yours would be the same. You better let someone else weigh in or call VZW to ask. Don't want to give you incorrect info. sorry!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 05-22-10 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added two year info
    05-22-10 07:38 AM
    YEs, if you use your upgrade for the 9630, you can return it within 30 days and get the 9650. I was told that last night at a Verizon store because I asked the same question. I too have an 8330 that might not make it another two weeks and was considering an 8530 to hobble along with until the Bold hits VZW... you can't go wrong with $29.99 on an upgrade price! Just dump it within 30 days and you're ok. That's what I was told by a very UNPLEASANT woman. Why are they always so nasty in the store and so wonderful on the phone? I never understand that? You're standing there right in their face and....

My situation is for a TWO year upgrade but I am assuming yours would be the same. You better let someone else weigh in or call VZW to ask. Don't want to give you incorrect info. sorry!
    did you get any 9650 updates while you were there?
    05-22-10 08:58 AM
    Interesting you should ask!
    I explained my sad Curve was on it's last breath and said my upgrade date had long since passed and I was waiting for the Bold release and...(at this point I didn't take a breath and was continuing to talk, I wasn't going to ask anything about the Bold) but the rep said "Well you understand I can't..." and I put up my hand as if to say TALK TO THE HAND...
    ...and she finished her statement anyway..."say anything about a release date."

So there you have it.
    I said I wasn't going to waste an upgrade on a phone I didn't want, like an 8530 or a 9630, so I left. I did ask about getting one activated if I bought it from someone else, or ebay, blah, blah... and I did mention I could drop VZW altogether and sign with another carrier. She said I had that option.

Yes, we do.
    Still doesn't get me the god dang phone.
    05-22-10 09:23 AM
    Interesting you should ask!
    I explained my sad Curve was on it's last breath and said my upgrade date had long since passed and I was waiting for the Bold release and...(at this point I didn't take a breath and was continuing to talk, I wasn't going to ask anything about the Bold) but the rep said "Well you understand I can't..." and I put up my hand as if to say TALK TO THE HAND...
    ...and she finished her statement anyway..."say anything about a release date."

So there you have it.
    I said I wasn't going to waste an upgrade on a phone I didn't want, like an 8530 or a 9630, so I left. I did ask about getting one activated if I bought it from someone else, or ebay, blah, blah... and I did mention I could drop VZW altogether and sign with another carrier. She said I had that option.

Yes, we do.
    Still doesn't get me the god dang phone.
    I feel your pain with the jacked up phone. I've been with big red forever. Back to the bell atlantic days. I'm going to keep my eye on this thing over the next few weeks. I've talked to several people who have sprint. They have no issues with their coverage natiowide or when they leave the states. The only thing they said was the customer service used to be bad but has improved over the last few years. I think vzw has gotten complacent over the last few years on their rep. I don't think they realize that their customers are willing to pay a little more for their product because of their coverage and service reputation in the industry. But I'm starting to see the gap closing a lot between them and everybody else. At this point I think I'll give them a few more weeks to see. I don't see a problem with giving sprint a shot. I know that might sound lame cause of a preference of a phone but when it comes to blackberry vzw comes up a little short. Like the service but the only blackberry they currently have worth getting is the storm 2. It has the specs anybody would love but "NO QWERTY KEYBOARD". I think thats a must with a blackberry.
    05-22-10 10:40 AM
    You can always try Sprint for free for 30days and get the 9650 now..

I really cannot fault either the coverage, service, price, perks, or (now) the CS.. and i got my phone within 22hrs of ordering (with free overnight shipping and free activation).

I feel your pain with the jacked up phone. I've been with big red forever. Back to the bell atlantic days. I'm going to keep my eye on this thing over the next few weeks. I've talked to several people who have sprint. They have no issues with their coverage natiowide or when they leave the states. The only thing they said was the customer service used to be bad but has improved over the last few years. I think vzw has gotten complacent over the last few years on their rep. I don't think they realize that their customers are willing to pay a little more for their product because of their coverage and service reputation in the industry. But I'm starting to see the gap closing a lot between them and everybody else. At this point I think I'll give them a few more weeks to see. I don't see a problem with giving sprint a shot. I know that might sound lame cause of a preference of a phone but when it comes to blackberry vzw comes up a little short. Like the service but the only blackberry they currently have worth getting is the storm 2. It has the specs anybody would love but "NO QWERTY KEYBOARD". I think thats a must with a blackberry.
    05-22-10 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD