Hi all,
    I have Blackberry Bold 9930 with Verizon and having issues like showing unknown operator instead of the name of the carrier and 1x instead of 3g!
    I called Verizon's customer service and they told me got to the store to update your software and tell them that "your device is actively roaming" when I went to the store they told me that they can't do anything with the software stuff you have to update it yourself!
    just few moments ago I tried to update it but I found out that the device is up to date!
    I've read a lot about reloading the OS to the device but really couldn't find an easy way to do it.
    if anyone here kindly try to explain to me the process of doing the reloading thing to my device?

-Aziz
    03-17-13 02:51 AM
    Any chance your network settings got switched around?
    03-17-13 02:59 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for responding
    It's actually on the CDMA mode not the GSM mode!
    I don't know what's going on with this device!
    03-17-13 03:18 AM
    Good deal. I know it sounds like an obvious thing to check first, but you never know how experienced the user is (or maybe just one of those "D'oh!" moments )

Another thing you could try is to dial *228 and do option 2, which is to "update your roaming capablities". This may or may not work in your case since your device says that you're roaming, and I believe it only works inside Verizon coverage.

Is this the guide you looked into already? I used this method on both my 9630 and 9930, but it's been awhile. If I remember right, I had issues trying to reload the OS through BBSAK and just reloaded with the Desktop Manager.
    BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com

I'm about half asleep right now (east coast, 3 AM) and my memory on the steps involved have already gone to bed apparently, so I can't really help explain them any more clearly right now sorry. (Speaking of D'oh! moments...) Hopefully someone that is a bit more helpful will be by shortly.
    vjfratiani likes this.
    03-17-13 03:38 AM
    Verizon is CDMA so you're ok there. heres the guide to update you're OS
    I just copied this from the sticky on the fourm
    Here's my updated OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

ELITE1's OS UPGRADE GUIDE
    (updated 2012-09-01)

(Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from PC.
    Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, browser is irrelevant.)
    *If 100% certain you previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    Go through any 3rd party apps with option to save settings to media card. Conduct Backup to media card within each of these apps. (Examples: Bellshare apps like BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps like Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; etc).
    Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    (Optional) Use desktop app like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    On PC, delete Vendor file located here:
    64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    (Optional/Recommended) Run BBH Tool (formerly Shrink-A-OS) or BB Boss v2.2 (not as updated as BBHT).
    In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click Loader to load OS to BB. Follow onscreen instructions.
    After loading OS, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is loaded.
    03-17-13 09:40 AM
    OK as for the update, maybe that will fix your problem.
    However: I spent 30 days with 1X service INSTEAD of the 3G I PAY FOR with VZW and I called their tech support EVERY DAY. I kid you not! I finally got one second-level tech who said she prides herself o solving network issues and she gave my help ticket to an engineer who called me on a Sunday and finally figured out my problem. Somehow, in the engineering screen (which I NEVER access myself) something was wrong and at their location, my phone was set to only receive 1X service and was being denied 3G.

I don't know the technical term but I would call VZW Support, ask for a tech and ask them to go through the engineering screen with you to check and see if your phone is PROVISIONED correctly. I know someone at VZW hit the wrong switch and I was denied 3G (probably because I switched devices 3 times during this period at THEIR request). Nonetheless, please keep calling until you are satisfied!!!!!! Reps were saying "please hold 5 minutes while I read your case notes" to me....that's how many times I called!!!!! EVERYDAY until it is solved.

Please post us your good news that it has been fixed for you!!!!
    03-17-13 04:41 PM
    thanks to everyone that replied to me.
    guys I went to the Verizon store because the Verizon customer service representative told me to do so.
    when I arrived within 10 minuets the guy told me "we can't do software related stuff in store!" I left the store and called customer service again they took me through few steps but nothing changed. After that they connected Blackberry support to the call and I talked to them for 4 hours and 20 minuets and 47 seconds without getting it solved!
    at the end of the call the blackberry lady told me to take it back to Verizon to see if they can replace it!
    I am not going to take it back to them because it's not on the warranty anymore.
    lastly there's another issue that I noticed today which is that the 1x thing goes off sometimes and other times it changes to
    3g. but still when I try to connect to the internet there's no connection and beside the network name it shows unknown operator instead of Verizon!
    please guys if anyone can help me please do so
    03-18-13 12:48 AM