Hi,

My question is whether or not I can use a Blackberry 9700 (Bold) in the UK after I get it unlocked, and buy a UK SIM card. I'm sorry to say that my google-fu has failed me in getting an answer, so I apologize if anyone finds this question to be annoyingly answered already. http://images.crackberry.com/forum_i...s/confused.gif

I've got a trip to the UK happening next week, and a friend gave me his old Blackberry 9700 (he's on T-Mobile and upgraded phones) since it has wifi and my phone is old-skool.

I've seen the threads about how to unlock the phone, and have been looking at SIM card sources, but then saw a reference to T-Mobile using a different frequency than other carriers. That's what has me concerned. If I go to the expense of acquiring unlocking and getting the SIM card, I don't want to get there and find the phone can't be used anyway.

The board here is pretty cool, and even if I can't use the phone on my trip, I think I shall hang on to it, and come back to see what fun things I can make this phone do.

Cheers!
    --sgg
    08-04-11 08:34 AM
    Likely you'll only get EDGE or GPRS. World Time Server should have a GSM frequency table, you could google it too. Then you can make the choice afterwards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 09:06 AM
    Unlock for free at freemyblackberry.com then you can see if it works or not

08-04-11 09:22 AM
    Hi,

My question is whether or not I can use a Blackberry 9700 (Bold) in the UK after I get it unlocked, and buy a UK SIM card. I'm sorry to say that my google-fu has failed me in getting an answer, so I apologize if anyone finds this question to be annoyingly answered already. http://images.crackberry.com/forum_i...s/confused.gif

I've got a trip to the UK happening next week, and a friend gave me his old Blackberry 9700 (he's on T-Mobile and upgraded phones) since it has wifi and my phone is old-skool.

I've seen the threads about how to unlock the phone, and have been looking at SIM card sources, but then saw a reference to T-Mobile using a different frequency than other carriers. That's what has me concerned. If I go to the expense of acquiring unlocking and getting the SIM card, I don't want to get there and find the phone can't be used anyway.

The board here is pretty cool, and even if I can't use the phone on my trip, I think I shall hang on to it, and come back to see what fun things I can make this phone do.

Cheers!
    --sgg
    I have used my AT&T branded 9700 in England and got 3G service (AT&T SIM).

GSM Coverage Maps | United Kingdom

England uses the international standard 2100Mhz band for UMTS (3G). It's included in U.S. "World Phones" for roaming. T-Mobile uses an odd band in the US for 3G, but T-Mobile branded 9780s include the 2100Mhz band as well.
    08-04-11 10:30 AM
    I want to thank you all for your replies.

It looks like I will be able to use the phone in the UK as it supports 1800 and 2100 Mhz. (A few others too, but not relevant to 3G)

I was also finally able to get a look at the MEP value and actually unlock the thing. Much appreciated!

Now to go in search of a Blackberry-capable SIM Card for the UK. http://images.crackberry.com/forum_i...ilies/cool.gif Somehow I think this will be easier than the various searching I'd done before. :-D

A good weekend to you all!
    --sgg
    08-05-11 06:20 PM
    Have a nice visit in the UK!
    Remember to update the service book of your device if you use data with the UK carrier.
    08-06-11 01:06 AM
    If you just want voice look at telestial.com's Explorer SIM. I have used it all over the world. Incoming calls in most places are free.

08-06-11 02:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD