Hi everyone
    I have just come back from a trip in which I needed to use my Blackberry Bold a lot in my car.
    I found that the speaker phone really wasn't loud enough and I didn't like the wires on the basic hands free.

Does anyone know of any add on that will let me link my Bold to the car radio?

Thanks for your thoughts and time.
    08-22-09 02:07 AM
    Why don't you just try bluetooth?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 03:21 AM
    Should not be using the phone while driving

08-22-09 08:09 AM
    All depends what inputs your car stereo has. Most may have an aux input but if you don't maybe you can have one installed, check with your dealer or auto acoustics people. Some may have Bluetooth. You can also use an FM Modulator but they don't sound very good.
    08-22-09 08:13 AM
    Try Moto H15 bluetooth earbud or BB VM-605 Visor Mount Speakerphone.
    08-22-09 09:28 AM
    Should not be using the phone while driving

You can use a phone while driving if its not in your hand. ie: "on handsfree"
    08-22-09 09:37 AM
    Hi everyone
    I have just come back from a trip in which I needed to use my Blackberry Bold a lot in my car.
    I found that the speaker phone really wasn't loud enough and I didn't like the wires on the basic hands free.

Does anyone know of any add on that will let me link my Bold to the car radio?

Thanks for your thoughts and time.
    Whats in your price range? i use a Bury CC9060 and it comes through existing speakers in the car and i get a little screen so i can control my phone while its in the pouch.
    08-22-09 09:38 AM
    You should get one of the BT speakers, it plays through your stereo speakers and works great..
    08-22-09 10:07 AM
    You can use a phone while driving if its not in your hand. ie: "on handsfree"
    he didn't say you CAN'T use, but rather you "should not" use. slight difference.
    08-22-09 10:51 AM
    In some states, it is illegal. More states are considering banning cell phone use because of txting/talking at the same time which impairs your ability to drive. At least the BT devices do not completely distract you while you are travelling down the interstate.
    08-22-09 11:46 AM
    In some states, it is illegal. More states are considering banning cell phone use because of txting/talking at the same time which impairs your ability to drive. At least the BT devices do not completely distract you while you are travelling down the interstate.
    There are no states that ban hands-free use by drivers who are not school bus drivers or novice drivers. State Cell Phone Driving Laws
    08-22-09 11:57 AM
    Please read carefully. I made no mention of hands-free driving being banned but merely that your distraction level is greatly decreased.
    08-22-09 12:01 PM
    he didn't say you CAN'T use, but rather you "should not" use. slight difference.
    I was mainly commenting on his useless waste of space post so thought I'd add to it

08-23-09 02:51 AM
    Yeah wait till u get killed by someone talking on the phone while driving. I don't care whether its handsfree or footsfree.

08-23-09 07:54 AM
    If talking on the phone is illegal why is it not for talking to passengers. There is no difference between the two

08-23-09 08:11 AM
    In the UK it's illegal to use your phone whilst driving unless you're using a handsfree device.

Whether it's actually illegal or not in the US it's proven that your ability to drive is greatly impaired if you're holding/talking on your phone without using a handsfree device.

I surely don't need to state the obvious differences between talking to a passenger and holding a phone with one hand and the wheel with another whilst you attempt to press buttons on your phone. I do however think that it's a bit one sided how we've banned the use of mobile phones whilst driving (non-handsfree) over here BUT it's not illegal for someone to be driving along smoking, drinking from a bottle/can, eating etc and anything else that prevents you from having both hands on the wheel, before people jump in I know they can be prosecuted for not taking due care and attention but that's discrectionary and not a compulsary fine like the mobile phone.

I've actually been looking into getting the Blackberry VM-605 Visor Mount. It seems to do everything I want, the only shame is in order for it to ring through the cars speakers the radio station needs to be tuned into the transmitting frequency which means either driving along in silence anticipating a call or flicking over to the Radio channel for your VM-605 each time you wanna answer a call, would be great if there was something like this that automatically changed your cars audio from whatever you're listening to (CD, MP3, Radio) to the bluetooth FM Channel when a call comes in! but hey I guess then you're talking about a fully integrated car phone system unless anyone else knows of a decent device?

Thanks
    08-23-09 08:26 AM
    We are not talking about holding a phone or texting. We are talking about talking on a phone handsfree!

There is no difference to talking on the phone or to a passenger... Infact the lack of eye contact while on the phone probably makes it safer than talking to a passenger.. And by the way in the UK it is illegal to do anything in a car that directly effects you ability to remain in control at all times.

08-23-09 08:39 AM
    It only unlawful in some states because of studies that suggest that the manner in which the phone are held and the fact that you are concentrating on the phone and not the road would make you more impaired than being DUI.
    There have been numerous news stories where serious accidents have occurred with drivers texting and talking on two phones at the same time. Being hands-free is at least less risky since both hands are on the steering wheel. When talking to passengers if I am driving, I am concentrating more on the road.
    Also, not being hands-free, when the phone rings, there is a split second when you have to look down or fumble around trying to find the phone that distract one just long enough for the chances of an accident increase.
    08-23-09 08:39 AM
    The key is the use of the phone not being hands free.
    08-23-09 08:40 AM
    We are not talking about holding a phone or texting. We are talking about talking on a phone handsfree!

There is no difference to talking on the phone or to a passenger... Infact the lack of eye contact while on the phone probably makes it safer than talking to a passenger.. And by the way in the UK it is illegal to do anything in a car that directly effects you ability to remain in control at all times.

Yet again you clearly haven't read my post and understood what I was saying. My point was that although it IS illegal to hold/use your phone whilst driving without a hands free kit it is NOT illegal to drive along with one hand on the wheel and drinking a drink with the other! It is only at the police officers discretion to decide if the driver was not taking due care and attention therefore providing I'm driving carefully I could drive right past the police with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a can of coke BUT if the can of coke was a mobile phone then it's an instant fine!

I also understood that this post was not about holding the phone whilst driving and the actual question was regarding the use of handsfree which is why in my post I commented about hands free devices.

If you're making the effort to post a message then atleast read other peoples properly before flying off the handle.
    08-23-09 09:06 AM
    It only unlawful in some states because of studies that suggest that the manner in which the phone are held and the fact that you are concentrating on the phone and not the road would make you more impaired than being DUI.
    There have been numerous news stories where serious accidents have occurred with drivers texting and talking on two phones at the same time. Being hands-free is at least less risky since both hands are on the steering wheel. When talking to passengers if I am driving, I am concentrating more on the road.
    Also, not being hands-free, when the phone rings, there is a split second when you have to look down or fumble around trying to find the phone that distract one just long enough for the chances of an accident increase.
    Exactly my point! well said and thanks for a sensible intelligent post.
    08-23-09 09:08 AM
    When using the Visor Mount Speakerphone, you could preset a radio frequency and if you had a means to change the station from your steering wheel. The earbud (I have a Moto H15 Bluetooth earbud) allows you to answer the phone without being distract by pushing a button on the earbut. The H15 also goes into standby when the boom-mike is closed. It also has great external noise reduction so that both sides of the conversation can be understood.
    08-23-09 10:11 AM

oh really? can your phone yell out when a car swerving into your lane from your passenger side? No. A passenger in fact can warn you of such incoming event. Can your phone shut up when you're approaching a blizzard? No. A passenger can and will do that. The point is it doesn't matter what you use..your attention is still being distracted whether it's handsfree or not. But I digress from the OP's main intention of this thread. I appologize for that. No more posting from me on this thread. The end!!!
    08-23-09 10:44 AM
    The key is the level of distraction. No one would argue that there is still distraction. Even without handsfree communication there are enough bad drivers who need to spend less time on the phone and pay more attention. It is no shame to admit that you can't do more than one thing at a time. I am not referring to anyone at all. Everyone has their own level of being able to multi-task. Driving should be the primary task and the phone used to the least extent possible. I agree that we have gotten off on a tangent as well. There are good devices to assist with the original question in the thread.
    08-23-09 10:50 AM
    You can either you any FM transmitter(or ipod accessories such at iTrip) because all of them have a 3.5mm connection jack on the output. If you have a newer model car(for instance my dads 08 camry) you already have a thing called and aux output. Its pretty much a little 3.5 plugin jack that plays any music perfectly. If you have that you need to purcahse an aux cable. You can either get a really good cable(monster) or just use any regular 3.5 to 3.5 jack cable. Remember, the fatter the cable the better sound quality. Oh and incase you are thinking what 3.5 is, take you're headphones and look at the end of them, they are 3.5.

If you don't have an aux output in your car you can just get an aftermarket head unit. Most of the aftermarket ones have aux.

Just remember, FM transmitters sounds like ****. Invest in an aux output.

Also I don't understand what's up with all this fighting. You honestly are telling me you havnt used a phone while driving? Just answer the guys questions...no need to start telling him what is illegal and not legal
    I remember I read somewhere that texting for one second is like driving through a football field blind. I don't believe it, but just saying. There's also a "game" that CNN made that tells you how much texting affects your personal reaction time on the road. I'll post it here when I get home.

Last edited by kasparp; 08-23-09 at 11:17 AM.
    08-23-09 11:07 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD