So I found a piece of hardware that would allow me to use my BB as a wireless modem. Lots of the hardware that I have seen in the past is ONLY for CDMA devices, not GSM like the Bold. Just thought that I would share with you all.

It's the Cradlepoint CTR500. I got it today and it is up and running with my Bold with very minimal input of settings. I love it! I'm actually using it right now to type up this post.

It works on both EDGE/3G. You can use your iPod Touch/iPad with it too, as well as share the connection with other computers. I'm very happy with it.
    06-07-10 07:27 PM
    How is this different then bluetooth tethering?
    06-07-10 07:30 PM
    I think because it acts as a mobile hotspot so you can use devices that don't support bluetooth modems ie i-anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 07:41 PM
    Yep, basically, I plug in my Bold to it via USB cable (since the router is plugged into the wall outlet, it also charges my BB).

The router broadcasts a Wi-Fi signal using my BB data plan so I can share that signal with other devices, including iPod Touch. Devices like iPod Touch cannot tether via Bluetooth with BB. I can also share it with other people with laptops.

I customized the SSID and put some security on it just to be safe.

I think this is going to come very handy at home and in my car when I am transporting my sibs.
    06-07-10 08:03 PM
    Too bad there is no app like JoikuSpot for Nokia.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 10:57 PM
    yeah it seems that there isn't a software that can make BB a wifi hotspot like Android and iPhone can do...oh well.

At least it's good to know that there are hardware options out there that can help you though.

I got my router at BestBuy for 69.99. It has the USB port on it as well as an express card port...you can use any portable modem on it...cdma or gsm. It will be very handy when I travel to India again. I plan to get a USB modem over there with lots of cheap data so I can use it to call home over UMA.
    It also has a LAN port so you can make any ethernet connection (like in a hotel) wireless really fast.
    06-07-10 11:02 PM
    wow thats legit... thanks for the info. may have to invest.
    06-07-10 11:22 PM
    Too bad there is no app like JoikuSpot for Nokia.
    QFT. JoikuSpot was one of my favourite apps on my N95-8GB. Can't wait for something similar for BB. Shouldn't have to have an application installed on the computer or have to use another plugin device to get shared internet.
    06-07-10 11:41 PM
    And this is exactly the reason why I'm currently putting up with a Nexus One.
    06-07-10 11:44 PM
    Do you have a link to where you bought it? I'm a little confused as to how this works. So its a router type device that plugs into your cell phone and then broadcasts a wireless connection for other devices to use?

I would love something like this.
    06-10-10 01:55 PM
    Question - Do you have to have a tethering plan, or does the data look like it's coming from an app?

Here's why I ask. I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T. If I tether with the "Use your BB as a Modem" instructions where you have to set up the "Standard Modem" and enter all the info, AT&T dings me with a data bill.

BUT, if I use a program like PDAnet, or Tether, it looks like the data is coming from my BB and I don't get the ding on the data. But, I can only use it for my Laptop, and not for devices like my Archos tablet.

Just wondering before I plop down $70 for one.
    I was just about to pull the trigger on this deal...
    Verizon MiFi with 2-Year Contract Shipped and billed directly from Verizon [VZ-MIFI-AD] - $49.99 : 3Gstore.com, Mobile Broadband Made Easy. CradlePoint Routers, MiFi, Antennas, Amplifiers and Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems.

They sell the same unit, but for much more than you paid..
    CTR500 3G/4G Router Firmware 1.6.9 Ships 6/25/10 [RT-CTR500A] - $139.99 : 3Gstore.com, Mobile Broadband Made Easy. CradlePoint Routers, MiFi, Antennas, Amplifiers and Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 06-10-10 at 02:25 PM.
    06-10-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD