Hi! I'm new to the forum and in my "real" life am a published author.

I'm trying to set something up in my current novel in which the hero gains access to the heroines calendar through wireless synchronization.

They have identical 9700 models and they keep grabbing the other's BB. The hero needs to crash an appointment the heroine has and I'd like to have it that he downloads her calendar without her catching on.

Is that possible? I need it to be done quickly and without a lot of complication. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    NiteJones
    06-03-10 10:58 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerrys are very, very secure so if the heroine's phone is password protected then there is no way that he could get into the Calendar.

If the phone is not password protected and is just lying on a table someplace then all he has to do is to pick it up and read the Calendar details and copy them to paper. This would be untracable.

He could also invite himself to the the meeting via his heroine's BlackBerry and an email would be sent from the heroine's BlackBerry to his. This would leave two traces (one in Calendar and another in the email - as well as his own whne received).

Is this what you want? Please come back here if you need more details.
    06-03-10 12:37 PM
    Hi, Pete6!

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Yes, I think you've answered my question. I'm going to set it up that the heroine's able to fully use the BB--otherwise, why have one, right?--but that she doesn't really pay attention to the details.

Here's the thing. At the time the hero gets his hands on her BB, she hasn't set up the meeting. That's why he wants to synch the two devices. It would work if he simply has her BB send him email updates to calendar additions or changes. Does your BB alert you each time an email is automatically sent? If so, can that function be turned off? I don't want to get too convoluted here, I just want a simple, easy way for him to keep tabs on what she's up to.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

NiteJones
    06-03-10 12:47 PM
    Lol, dude, so you wanna keep a tab on your other half, just come out and say it. Stop making up stories.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 12:59 PM
    Lol, dude, so you wanna keep a tab on your other half, just come out and say it. Stop making up stories.
    LOL! It never occurred to me that my question could be interpreted that way. I just read your reply to my husband. Thanks for giving us both a laugh.

Here's the thing. I don't actually own a BB, so I can't really figure this out on my own. Although reading through the online manual and reading some of the threads, that may have to change. Soon.

What's even funnier is that I'm a romance author. So, I guess once I get this figured out, I'll be teaching a whole bunch of women how to keep tabs on their man.

Best, NiteJones
    06-03-10 01:06 PM
    Hi, Pete6!

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Yes, I think you've answered my question. I'm going to set it up that the heroine's able to fully use the BB--otherwise, why have one, right?--but that she doesn't really pay attention to the details.

Here's the thing. At the time the hero gets his hands on her BB, she hasn't set up the meeting. That's why he wants to synch the two devices. It would work if he simply has her BB send him email updates to calendar additions or changes. Synching between two BlackBerrys can't be done UNLESS you have a PC. Once you have this, then he could do a one way Synch from here BlackBerry to his PC and thence a second Synch to his phone. This procedure would take less than 10 minutes for both phones. There would be no trace on here phone Again she could not have a Password on her phone. If that happens even the FBI take a while to get in. He CANNOT set up future Synching. Meaning that he has to het his paws on her phone AFTER she has set up the meeting.

Does your BB alert you each time an email is automatically sent? If so, can that function be turned off? You can set any ringtone or mp3 you want for any BlackBerry alert. These may be changed at will and you may also have several Profiles, Normal, Loud, Meeting, Quite, Vibtare only. Switching between Profiles is very quick and easy. You can use stock tones and tunes or, your own.

I don't want to get too convoluted here, I just want a simple, easy way for him to keep tabs on what she's up to. One way to do this might be to offer to Backup her phone for her. Here he takes ther phone and connects it to his PC. A Backup is different from Synching BUT uses the same BlackBerry Desktop Manager. So he Synchs to his MS-Outlook as I described above at the same time.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

NiteJones
    I hope this helps. Again come back if we can help more.
    06-03-10 01:10 PM
    I dont get how a calendar will reveal anything... Its not like people put in their calendar "going out to cheat on my hubby", "going out to do illegal things"...
    06-03-10 01:12 PM
    I dont get how a calendar will reveal anything... Its not like people put in their calendar "going out to cheat on my hubby", "going out to do illegal things"...
    She's pregnant with his child. She's going to an OB/GYN appointment. He wants to crash the appointment because the baby is his. (Told you this was a romance.) He doesn't know who her OB/GYN is. He doesn't know when the appointment will be. But he does know that she'll enter the appointment into her BB and he wants that info sent to him so he can act on it.

The one thing I'm still not clear about... If he sets her BB so that all her calendar entries are emailed to him, will the BB send out a chime and say: "Hey, honey, I just illicitly sent your calendar update to Mr. Smith"?

Best, NiteJones
    06-03-10 01:18 PM
    She's pregnant with his child. She's going to an OB/GYN appointment. He wants to crash the appointment because the baby is his. (Told you this was a romance.) He doesn't know who her OB/GYN is. He doesn't know when the appointment will be. But he does know that she'll enter the appointment into her BB and he wants that info sent to him so he can act on it.

The one thing I'm still not clear about... If he sets her BB so that all her calendar entries are emailed to him, will the BB send out a chime and say: "Hey, honey, I just illicitly sent your calendar update to Mr. Smith"?

Best, NiteJones
    Each person's BlackBerry can or can not make a noise when a Calendar event is due.

In short, her's might
    His might not.

or vice versa

This can be changed on the fly as required.

If this is not clear, let me know.

Invitees to any Calendar appointment may ONLY be set AFTER the appointment has been initially set up. Ain't no way to do this in advance. Sorry.

He absolutey has to get hold of that phone sometime after she has entered the appointment but before the actual date/time.

I get the feeling that he mythically sets up a Calendar clone to her phone, is surprised when he sees this new meeting set up and resolves to attend - right?

The problem here is that word mythically 'cuz, that's what it is. Sorry.

If she Synchs her phone to Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo then if he can get into her email or her PC then he's home free provided this happens after the appointment is entered and Synched.

The whole idea of a BlackBerry (and Calendars in general) is to keep them private and personal.
    06-03-10 01:43 PM
    Maybe if you can install google synch on both phones and have them synch to the same gmail account. Just an idea.

06-03-10 01:47 PM
    Maybe if you can install google synch on both phones and have them synch to the same gmail account. Just an idea.

Yes, that would work provided Miss Pregnant didn't Sync any other way (which she clearly has but with our hero - hehe).
    06-03-10 01:50 PM
    Yes, that would work provided Miss Pregnant didn't Sync any other way (which she clearly has but with our hero - hehe).
    LOL! Good one, Pete.

@Pete6: Okay. I got it now. My idea isn't going to work and the other possible ways of forcing it are convoluted. Anytime it involves paragraphs of explanation (which these alternate methods would), it ain't gonna work.

Since they have identical phones, I think they'll just keep getting switched. It's just this one appointment he needs to crash. So if he "accidentally" grabs her BB shortly before the appointment, then he can take a quick peek at her calendar. I'll just set it up that she doesn't bother with a password. I don't. None of my friends keep theirs password protected, so it wouldn't be all that unusual.

I have another question, but I'll post that separately.

Thanks!
    NiteJones
    Last edited by NiteJones; 06-03-10 at 02:47 PM.
    06-03-10 02:38 PM
    Since I don't have a BB, what does a 9700 do when you have an incoming email? My editor wants me to set it up so that the heroine wakes up to the BB ringing and groggily punches a button to read the incoming email and only after she sees it does she realize that it's the hero's phone, the hero's email, and a very bad (dum-dum-dum) email that suggests the hero has been using her.

Question: Does that work, based on the 9700 model? If she's sleepy could she mistake the phones? Is there any reason she wouldn't just see the "new email" display--is that what it does/says??--and hit a button to access it without realizing it wasn't her phone? (Does anyone have a picture of a "you have mail" display?)

I mean, I get that you can set different ringtones for different functions/people, etc. I have my cell set up that way. (Actually, it would be kind of funny if they keep switching their ringtones so they aren't the same, only they keep choosing the same new ring. Sorry, off subject.) But if you had two 9700s sitting on a table set with the same ringtones, would there be anything to clue you in that her phone wasn't yours or vice versa?

Thanks!
    NiteJones
    06-03-10 02:46 PM
    Since I don't have a BB, what does a 9700 do when you have an incoming email? My editor wants me to set it up so that the heroine wakes up to the BB ringing and groggily punches a button to read the incoming email and only after she sees it does she realize that it's the hero's phone, the hero's email, and a very bad (dum-dum-dum) email that suggests the hero has been using her.

Question: Does that work, based on the 9700 model? If she's sleepy could she mistake the phones? Is there any reason she wouldn't just see the "new email" display--is that what it does/says??--and hit a button to access it without realizing it wasn't her phone? (Does anyone have a picture of a "you have mail" display?) Yes, that would work. I fact, both Mrs. Pete6 an I have BlackBerrys and what you outline above has actually happened. As standard when a BlackBerry receives a new (unread) email, four things happen:
    - a sound (which is user definable) sounds.
    - an optional vibrate signal goes off (programmable from 0 -3 times).
    - an LED flashes once every 2 seconds for 15 minutes
    - a tiny, tiny icon shows up on the screen

I mean, I get that you can set different ringtones for different functions/people, etc. I have my cell set up that way. (Actually, it would be kind of funny if they keep switching their ringtones so they aren't the same, only they keep choosing the same new ring. Sorry, off subject.) But if you had two 9700s sitting on a table set with the same ringtones, would there be anything to clue you in that her phone wasn't yours or vice versa?
    Yes, as I said above, there would be a red flashing LED for 15 minutes. After that nothing would show up until you picked the phone up (the screen would initially be blank) and pressed a button whence the screen would light up and the little, email icon would be visible. With two people having BlackBerrys and living together, switching them is a virtual certainty at some point unless one is in a red case. Again the missus and I have done just this - more than once.

Even though we have set (well I set them up) a completely different set of ringtones and other alert tones (I have 2 email accounts and have seperate melodies for each) we have bot picked up the other's phone when emails, SMSs, Calendat events or even phone calls have come in.

Thanks!
    NiteJones
    You are right. In a novel, the tech stuff has to be kept to a minumum. Two phones on a table and someone picks up the wrong one and places on their nightstand prior to sleep followed by a sleepy person in the morning just grabbing the phone and reading any old email would work for me.

Now you have to get the right phone back to the real owner before they realize the switch and hapilly there is a way to set a read email to be unread by simply pressing the Menu key and selecting Mark Unopened for that one single email (or any others).

Do those things
    - accidental switch
    - sleepy reaction of grab noisy phone, read email, shock horror
    - set to Unopened
    - switch the phone back without the owwner knowing
    - make further plans

and you are home free from a BlackBerry standpoint.

Please let us know when you publish.
    06-03-10 03:20 PM
    Thanks, Pete. I think we've got it with your last post.

Book comes out January 2011 through Silhouette Desire. Author: Day Leclaire. Title: Claimed: The Pregnant Heiress.

See? I wasn't kidding about being a romance author, lol.

Best, NiteJones
    06-03-10 03:27 PM
    OMG, I have his BlackBerry and err, his baby.

Glad to have been of help

Cheers

Pete
    06-03-10 03:30 PM

Question: Does that work, based on the 9700 model? If she's sleepy could she mistake the phones? Is there any reason she wouldn't just see the "new email" display--is that what it does/says??--and hit a button to access it without realizing it wasn't her phone? (Does anyone have a picture of a "you have mail" display?)

Thanks!
    NiteJones
    I think that the two phones will have to be completely identical for someone to mistake one for the other. Specifically, themes, background wallpaper, notification tones and more importantly, how the icons are arranged on the screen. For example, if I had just bought two 9700s from the same carrier, removed them from their packaging, and placed them on the table, I would not be able to tell one from the other without navigating through the menus and comparing unit-specific identifying numbers.

06-03-10 03:32 PM
    OMG, I have his BlackBerry and err, his baby.
    Lol! You've been a terrific help.
    NiteJones
    06-03-10 03:37 PM
    Specifically, themes, background wallpaper, notification tones and more importantly, how the icons are arranged on the screen.
    @SiPde: Yeah. Not sure how I'll get around that part. The only time the heroine mistakenly hits the email key on the hero's phone is when she's just woken up, so I think if I have her panic over the stupid mistake the readers won't give me too hard a time over the rest. But there's no way the themes, etc. would be the same. The ringtones being identical, and constantly changed so they're coincidentally/continually identical, could be funny.

Best,
    NiteJones
    06-03-10 03:44 PM
    @SiPde: Yeah. Not sure how I'll get around that part. The only time the heroine mistakenly hits the email key on the hero's phone is when she's just woken up, so I think if I have her panic over the stupid mistake the readers won't give me too hard a time over the rest. But there's no way the themes, etc. would be the same. The ringtones being identical, and constantly changed so they're coincidentally/continually identical, could be funny.

Best,
    NiteJones
    If you play long on the actual accidental switch, the rest should naturally fall out. SHe is unaware that she has made a mistake - was distracted by her cat, Mom, phone, the TV and just picks up the wrong phone.

9700 BlackBerrys come with a single standard theme. Anyway both screens would be blank when she picked it up.

Next morning, she hear's a ring, any ring, and sleepily reacts. She could even sleep through the email ringtone - I have done that - and just checks "her" phone when she awakes. I bet you do something like that.

Panic would only set in AFTER she realizes her mistake of last night. She sets the email back to Unopened - easy.

Now, how does she get the phone back to the man before he checks her phone (and reade her emails, whatever) that he thinks is his?

Fun for all here, my friend.
    06-03-10 03:54 PM
    Just outta curiosity, why did you use the blackberry and/or 9700? Are you gonna actually mention the 9700 in the book?
    06-03-10 03:58 PM
    If you play long on the actual accidental switch, the rest should naturally fall out. SHe is unaware that she has made a mistake - was distracted by her cat, Mom, phone, the TV and just picks up the wrong phone.

9700 BlackBerrys come with a single standard theme. Anyway both screens would be blank when she picked it up.

Next morning, she hear's a ring, any ring, and sleepily reacts. She could even sleep through the email ringtone - I have done that - and just checks "her" phone when she awakes. I bet you do something like that.

Panic would only set in AFTER she realizes her mistake of last night. She sets the email back to Unopened - easy.

Now, how does she get the phone back to the man before he checks her phone (and reade her emails, whatever) that he thinks is his?

Fun for all here, my friend.
    You're right. I forgot that this is, in fact, going to be a book and not a movie (yet?). Somehow I pictured the camera panning and zooming into the screen. It doesn't have to be complicated.

06-03-10 04:07 PM
    Just outta curiosity, why did you use the blackberry and/or 9700? Are you gonna actually mention the 9700 in the book?
    I'll use BlackBerry, but not the specific model. When I was doing my research, I just chose what I assumed to be the latest/most expensive since money isn't that big a deal for either character. All references will be, of course, positive.

NiteJones
    06-03-10 04:25 PM
    Now, how does she get the phone back to the man before he checks her phone (and read her emails, whatever) that he thinks is his?
    They're together as a couple at this point in the book--not far from the end and the heroine reading the hero's email is what causes the "darkest moment" in the story. You know, when it looks like love is lost and the couple won't get their happily-ever-after ending. He's already gotten up and is in the shower. Phone rings. She wakes up and answers (pregnant, sleepy, blah-blah). Hits the email button. Reads the horrible truth--he's been using her for X purpose. Hits the "unread" button. Gets up and takes off.

Or maybe she starts to hit the "mark unread" option and then decides, "What the he!!, let him know I read it and am on to him." He comes into the bedroom, discovers her missing and eventually realizes what happened. Not sure how it goes from there, but that's my problem, not yours.

Best,
    NiteJones
    06-03-10 04:32 PM
    They're together as a couple at this point in the book--not far from the end and the heroine reading the hero's email is what causes the "darkest moment" in the story. You know, when it looks like love is lost and the couple won't get their happily-ever-after ending. He's already gotten up and is in the shower. Phone rings. She wakes up and answers (pregnant, sleepy, blah-blah). Hits the email button. Reads the horrible truth--he's been using her for X purpose. Hits the "unread" button. Gets up and takes off.

Or maybe she starts to hit the "mark unread" option and then decides, "What the he!!, let him know I read it and am on to him." He comes into the bedroom, discovers her missing and eventually realizes what happened. Not sure how it goes from there, but that's my problem, not yours.

Best,
    NiteJones
    You are right, the plot is your plot. The rest of us will just have to wait until the book comes out.

The exact text you need is " Mark Unopened "

She picks up the phone, sees the new email icon and opens up the email Message application. She reads the mail (****, Oh dear). Panics, goes to the barthroom....think, think.... comes back to the phone, and sets the email to Mark Unopened.

Formulates several plans to get the phone back to the man before he realizes the error.

Does she make it? read on .....
    06-03-10 04:45 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD