Hello everyone,

I'm driving from Montreal to Florida in June with my BlackBerry 9700 and was wondering if there is any cheap "pay as you go" mobile provider in the USA to have my BlackBerry 9700 working (voice and data included) ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in Advance,
    05-22-10 10:07 AM
    Not sure... but one word of caution... T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequencies... I'm not sure if there are any others that have different 3G frequencies, but I'd be cautious.
    05-22-10 11:56 AM
    This is real hard to do. I live in the UK and visit my son in the US 3-4 times a year. I leave my 9700 on the UK network and use an old 8100 Pearl as my US phone.

So far I have been using AT&T pre-paid SIM cards. These are really pricey. They charge $1 per day the first time you use the phone that day ans $0.1 per minute.

Data works on the browser at $2/Mb (yes, $2) but I have no BIS. Google Maps does not work and I believe that this is a [lack of] Service Books i.e. BIS issue.

T-Mobile Complete is a way to buy a full voice,BIS data plan product at$60 / month. However the "Compete" part seems to always include a phone which you have to buy so far as I have been able to tell

Boost Mobile is a CDMA network that also offers a full BlackBerry service at $59 per month. They offer an 8330 for $250 which is a total rip off.

Verizon were supposed to be announcing a pre-paid BlackBerry product for about the same money but again this is a CDMA offering.

Meanwhile I am still on AT&T at $25 a visit and minimal data. The AT&T credit expires after 90 days unless you put $100 and then it goes away after 1 year. $15 gets you 30 days.

Usually I just get my some to use his SSN and address to get me a new SIM card and number each time I visit.

The whole thing is a total pita, imo.
    05-22-10 12:34 PM
    TMobile just updated their paygo plans. They now have a 15$ unlimited text and 10c/minute plan, as well as a 50$ unlimited/unlimited plan. Note however that TMO will not let you on the internet without a plan that includes it.

You can either pickup a cheap burner prepaid phone for like 20$ or order a sim only straight from tmo.
    05-22-10 03:42 PM
    TMobile just updated their paygo plans. They now have a 15$ unlimited text and 10c/minute plan, as well as a 50$ unlimited/unlimited plan. Note however that TMO will not let you on the internet without a plan that includes it.

You can either pickup a cheap burner prepaid phone for like 20$ or order a sim only straight from tmo.
    Also this plan does not include BlackBerry Internet/BIS.

I got back from the US 2 days ago and have been on/off the phone for about a week over this.

This is easy in the UK but impossible right now in the US on GSM as far as I have found out.

However I believ that it will soon come.
    05-22-10 03:46 PM
    Also this plan does not include BlackBerry Internet/BIS.

I got back from the US 2 days ago and have been on/off the phone for about a week over this.

This is easy in the UK but impossible right now in the US on GSM as far as I have found out.

However I believ that it will soon come.
    True, no BIS with the paygo's. But honestly, whats a better deal?
    15$ for 10c/minute and unlimited texts,
    59.99$ for 500min and unlimited texts plus BIS.
    You don't need to buy a phone from them to use EM+. You just have to select sim card as your phone, they will ship it to you.
    I moved from ATT to tmo with a ATT branded 8900 before I bought my 9700.

IMO there is no need for tmo to add a prepaid BIS plan, they already have EM+ which is no contract.

They do have addon sidekick plans and such, but obviously a BB wont work with that and I think they fixed the loophole that let you use it.
    Last edited by rdyoung; 05-22-10 at 04:14 PM.
    05-22-10 04:02 PM
    True, no BIS with the paygo's. But honestly, whats a better deal?
    15$ for 10c/minute and unlimited texts,
    59.99$ for 500min and unlimited texts plus BIS.
    You don't need to buy a phone from them to use EM+. You just have to select sim card as your phone, they will ship it to you.
    I moved from ATT to tmo with a ATT branded 8900 before I bought my 9700.

IMO there is no need for tmo to add a prepaid BIS plan, they already have EM+ which is no contract.

They do have addon sidekick plans and such, but obviously a BB wont work with that and I think they fixed the loophole that let you use it.
    What you say is true. However I cannot understand the "Only Sidekick"deal. I had a CSR trying to explain it to me and I got to a 2nd level support person and they went round in circles (I was being very simple - duh - cell phone - duh - funny accent - British) and finally said, "Well, that's the way it is. Sorry."

I am going o use this when I am back over in October.

The OP was wanting data and today that ain't so simple. I believe this will change, I mean, why limit Internet access to just a Sidekick. That's just plain middle managers not understanding this problem.

I am just wondering if this T-Mobile deal could be made to work with a 3rd party BES solution. Provided the Internet works on the phone (probably via TCP/APN) then a BES provider should be able to supply the emails and other services. Whaddya think?
    05-22-10 05:12 PM
    What you say is true. However I cannot understand the "Only Sidekick"deal. I had a CSR trying to explain it to me and I got to a 2nd level support person and they went round in circles (I was being very simple - duh - cell phone - duh - funny accent - British) and finally said, "Well, that's the way it is. Sorry."

I am going o use this when I am back over in October.

The OP was wanting data and today that ain't so simple. I believe this will change, I mean, why limit Internet access to just a Sidekick. That's just plain middle managers not understanding this problem.

I am just wondering if this T-Mobile deal could be made to work with a 3rd party BES solution. Provided the Internet works on the phone (probably via TCP/APN) then a BES provider should be able to supply the emails and other services. Whaddya think?
    I do agree you with 100%.
    The issue with BBs is that they are preprogrammed to route all data through BIS, so your SOL without it. You can't change the way BBs route data, and all in all thats a good thing, RIM has worked to streamline data to the point that for every "other" phone on a network you can fit 3 BBs in the data stream.

While not having net access without a data plan is a PITA, my own experience with ATT and my first BB has me glad that TMO operates this way. I ran up a total of 700$+ in charges over a 2 week vacation when I "knew" I selected BIS. I wouldn't have used my phone the way I did if I even thought I was paying per kb or mb. They did prorate the charges, but it was a still a giant PITA. All because whatever monkey processed my order either forgot or intentionally left the BIS off.
    05-22-10 05:48 PM
    I'm on tmobile flexpay and have bis. I thought they offered that on em+ for like 60$ a month. I've got an att gophone sim for backup. And internet (no bis) works fine for lite email and surfing. Plus I have wifi in my 9700 so with plenty of wifi around that helps with data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 08:48 PM
    I'm on tmobile flexpay and have bis. I thought they offered that on em+ for like 60$ a month. I've got an att gophone sim for backup. And internet (no bis) works fine for lite email and surfing. Plus I have wifi in my 9700 so with plenty of wifi around that helps with data.

FlexPay is not a bad program, imo. It is good if you are using it each month.

The problem that the OP has is that he has a Canadian phone/carrier/plan and wants to come to the US for a short period and he wants a US SIM/carrier/plan - with BIS for that period. As it happens I want the same thing but I have a spare BlackBerry so I am a little more flexible.

Today a one month plan with data and BIS does not seem available without buying a phone (Boost and T-Mobile).
    05-23-10 05:27 AM
    FlexPay is not a bad program, imo. It is good if you are using it each month.

The problem that the OP has is that he has a Canadian phone/carrier/plan and wants to come to the US for a short period and he wants a US SIM/carrier/plan - with BIS for that period. As it happens I want the same thing but I have a spare BlackBerry so I am a little more flexible.

Today a one month plan with data and BIS does not seem available without buying a phone (Boost and T-Mobile).
    With em+ it is possible however with a 35$ activation fee.
    And paying the 59.99$ for the month.

What I would like to see TMO do is provide a BIS plan with unlimited texts/BIS + charge me 10c/minute for phone calls.
    I personally use maybe 100-200 minutes a month. Some months I use the phone less than that.
    05-23-10 09:12 AM

Yes, the EM+ BB plan is 59.99+tax, mine comes to 66.29 I think, for the 500min/unl/unl

What I have been trying to tell people here, is you dont need to buy a phone from tmo to use the EM+. Just go into a tmo store and get it setup with your current phone. You will have to pay an activation fee, unless you know someone with a corp discount program, when I get around to contacting TMO, I will get 10% of my bill + free activations.
    05-23-10 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD