I just bought a used unlocked BB 9700 from T-mobile yesterday. I got a T-mobile plan now, and it seems like everything is working.
    But the guy in the mobile store where I got my plan said that if I wanna use it with another carrier in Norway (where I am from) or other countries (I wanna stay for a while in different countries in Latin America when I am done here, most likely Panama and/or Brasil), the phone can only be used to make calls and send texts, no internet or BBmessenger.

Is it any way to modify the phone so I can use it with other carriers and still get the BBmessenger and internet, or do I have to get a new phone from each country every tiime I use it?

From what I understood in an article, the 9700 from AT&T is different in some way and the same as the one used in europe. Do I have to switch to that phone for it to work with all the functions in Norway?

Will the GPS work in other countries? Do I get charged for data usage when I use the GPS?
    08-05-11 01:54 AM
    T-Mobile uses AWS frequency in their phones. So brining it overseas; you will only be able to make basic calls and texts. If you need data, you will have to use an unlocked phone that uses sim from any other carrier like ATT as most carriers do not use the AWS frequency.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 02:00 AM
    I just bought a used unlocked BB 9700 from T-mobile yesterday. I got a T-mobile plan now, and it seems like everything is working.
    But the guy in the mobile store where I got my plan said that if I wanna use it with another carrier in Norway (where I am from) or other countries (I wanna stay for a while in different countries in Latin America when I am done here, most likely Panama and/or Brasil), the phone can only be used to make calls and send texts, no internet or BBmessenger.

Is it any way to modify the phone so I can use it with other carriers and still get the BBmessenger and internet, or do I have to get a new phone from each country every tiime I use it?

From what I understood in an article, the 9700 from AT&T is different in some way and the same as the one used in europe. Do I have to switch to that phone for it to work with all the functions in Norway?

Will the GPS work in other countries? Do I get charged for data usage when I use the GPS?
    Hei!

Tror du gjr deg rett i og ta en telefon til Trigcom (+47 815 68 830), de kan nok svare p dette! Det er riktignok Netcom (+47 924 05 051) som har overtatt abonnement delen, men Trigcom sitter fortsatt med kundeservice p telefonene!

Godt valg av telefon forresten

Lykke til!
    08-05-11 05:52 PM

The guy at the mobile store is full of crap. If the carrier you choose offers BB service, you can get everything to run. You can see which carriers offer BB service here, Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com For example, BlackBerry - Bedrift - Telenor, Cable & Wireless Panam - Ms Mvil - Celulares - Equipos Celulares BlackBerry and Vivo

There is only one difference between an AT&T 9700 and a T-Mo 9700. The AT&T can connect to 3G using 850, 1900 and 2100MHz bands. The T-Mo can connect to 3G using 900, 1700 and 2100MHz bands. For 2G, their frequency bands are identical (850/1900 for US and 900/1800 for most of the rest of the world).

Research In Motion BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Your phone will work fine in Europe because it includes 2100MHz band for 3G (UMTS or WCDMA) and 900 and 1800MHz for 2G. In fact, you may get a little better 3G coverage because the T-Mo 9700 includes 900MHz UMTS rather than 850MHz, which is an America only frequency. In Latin America, it gets a little strange country by country, but you should be able to get 2G coverage at least.

For country details, see GSM Coverage Maps
    08-05-11 06:47 PM
    If your Blackberry is unlocked the result of inserting a SIM card of other carrier into it will make the phone work as a phone that gets regular signal (calls and SMS) but if you will update the service book of your Blackberry device it will work with the services according to your data plan from the carrier the you are using.
    08-06-11 02:10 AM
    That ***** who told you it won't work, shouldn't even be working on a job like that if he's going to be misleading customers. Take the great advice from here that you've got and ignore the clown

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD