08-28-08 02:03 PM
26 12
tools
    I don't currently have a blackberry but am thinking of getting one and am looking at the data plans available through Rogers.

How much data does an average user need? is 300MB enough or would I need 6GB - I'd like to stick with BES if possible.

I plan to use it for email, surfing the web, gps mapping directions, etc.

Any idea how much usage this will entail?

Thanks!
    08-20-08 02:36 PM
    BES is enterprise through a company. as for data I don't think Rogers has unlimited but the more the better!
    08-20-08 02:57 PM
    thanks. How much, on average, is your usage per month and are you doing a lot of surfing, etc.? is 300MB a lot?
    08-20-08 04:22 PM
    Last month I did 68,000 KB. I don't surf the net all too much. Use BBM a little bit. I guess you could say I am a below average user.
    08-20-08 04:28 PM
    thanks. How much, on average, is your usage per month and are you doing a lot of surfing, etc.? is 300MB a lot?
    my plan is unlimited so honestly I never look. You've got me curious though, I'll have to check when I go home.
    08-20-08 04:32 PM
    hi there,
    piece of advice, don't bother with the 6GB data plan if you intend on using BES. i learned this lesson the hard way this week after picking up my bold only to struggle with my IT team when trying to go through wired & wireless enterprise activation. Point is, the 6GB data plan for any price simply does not work with BES. Numerous people at Rogers confirmed this and i finally found the tiny disclaimer on their site. You are limited to BES specific blackberry data plans, which of course, are more expensive for less data.
    "3G Smartphone Data Plan is only available on a 36-month data term. Activations on Blackberry devices apply to Blackberry Internet Service only."
    I'm new so i can't post URLs but the fine print is on the 3G limited time offer page.

cheers,
    R.
    08-27-08 06:18 PM
    I really have to extend my condolences to you Canadians. Word in today is that Telus is pushing people off of their unlimited data plans because they're phasing it out. So everything in canada on GSM carriers is now capped. So you have to buy your internet usage in GBs which really sucks for people who only have dial up available to them who used to be able to tether.
    08-27-08 06:28 PM
    telus is cdma and i cant stand canada!...cell phone companies by the way Jackal source?
    08-27-08 06:37 PM
    telus is cdma and i cant stand canada!...cell phone companies by the way Jackal source?
    Unfortuantly its BGR and I'd trust it with my life.

Telus reneges on “unlimited” data plans : Boy Genius Report

Edit: I could have read it wrong but I believe it applies to wireless as well.
    08-27-08 06:40 PM
    for a blackberry, 300mb is really more than enough for almost all users. with an 8310 i never even crossed 100mb. now i know with the bold being 3g things might be a bit different but i stil think 300mb is more than enough for most people

now considering rogers has a promo for 6gb at the same price as the 300mb plan, well it just makes sense to go with the 6gb one. just keep in mind the 6gb plan promo ends aug31 and if u do get it, its a 3yr contract for the plan. if u cancel the data plan early its a $100 fee.

OHH SHOOT... i just realized u said BES... sorry thats a whole different ball game. my bad
    08-27-08 07:03 PM
    Whats BES?
    08-28-08 12:14 AM
    08-28-08 12:24 AM
    here are the prices for blackberry BIS and BES plans...
    http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...ta&cat=2&typ=2

the $30 for 6gb BIS plan is not on that page because its a promo. its somewhere else on the site under something like specials or something like that. and that plan ends aug31
    08-28-08 12:26 AM
    hi there,
    piece of advice, don't bother with the 6GB data plan if you intend on using BES. i learned this lesson the hard way this week after picking up my bold only to struggle with my IT team when trying to go through wired & wireless enterprise activation. Point is, the 6GB data plan for any price simply does not work with BES. Numerous people at Rogers confirmed this and i finally found the tiny disclaimer on their site. You are limited to BES specific blackberry data plans, which of course, are more expensive for less data.
    "3G Smartphone Data Plan is only available on a 36-month data term. Activations on Blackberry devices apply to Blackberry Internet Service only."
    I'm new so i can't post URLs but the fine print is on the 3G limited time offer page.

cheers,
    Wait what are you saying here? Are you saying that if you activate the 6G data plan (from rogers) on your blackberry bold you will not be able to connect to a BES???
    If that is the case it would explain why the activation isnt working ... and that terribly suck
    08-28-08 11:47 AM
    Yes with the 6gb plan it wont work on a BES server
    08-28-08 11:57 AM
    wow that is terrible
    08-28-08 12:00 PM
    Buying the $30 a month ~ 6GB plan may be the best insurance you have as to cost management.

Instead of paying very expensive rates per MB after 350 MB you have some room to grow your usage.

I went from a 500MB plan at $40 a month in July to to the the $30 ~ 6GB plan which became available in August.

Rogers has said they will only offer this plan for retail customers until August 31. Who knows with Rogers?

Just my 2 cents.
    08-28-08 12:10 PM
    Well yes the 30$ for 6Gb is nice which why I and many other took it BUT if you cant use BES that kinda destroys a big chunk of the usefullness of having a blackberry in the first place.

This 6G plan seems to me that it is only an advantage for iphone users who the majority of them will use it to watch youtube(streaming videos) and downloading music.

So us blackberry users who get the 6Gb is pretty much a waste since you loose to ability to "work" by not being able to connect to "work" and the browser on the Bold isnt so great for streaming so you will hardly ever reach 2Gb in a month...
    08-28-08 12:15 PM
    I am seeing it this way,

The minimum entry level plan is $15 for BIS and 1.5 Mb of data. If I were to use 3 Mb in a month, the additional data charges would raise the total to $30.

3 Mb is nothing, a dozen page refreshes from the wap.crackberry site. I use that much during coffee break.

The best non promotional deal is $30 for BIS and 300 Mb. That is the sweet spot for a BlackBerry. Unfortunalty, that is also BIS only.

The comparable deal for a Business line customer is $100 for 1 Gb. I guess they figure they can still gouge the business customers.
    08-28-08 12:51 PM
    Have we received actual confirmation from Rogers that BIS is not available with the 6GB package, or are we just kinda guessing right now? If so I'm going to be really disapointed, not only has it taken me more than a week to get my delivery (still don't have it), but two of the biggest draws for me don't work together...bah!
    08-28-08 01:12 PM
    The thing with the blackberry bold is that these types of devices are no longer targetted at business only because consumers are now buying them and consumers dont have the money to pay for the business plan. However the consumers are still people who would like to use the phone in the same manner as previous models. This is where you have the break point that defines Blackberry users and iPhone users. The BB users like the entertaiment aspect but mainly use the device for work. iPhone users mainly use the device for entertainment and does minimal work (im not saying the iphone is no good for work, im simply implying that most users with an iphone will not use it for work).

So what im saying is you either buy a 6Gb plan and castrate your phone to only BIS OR buy a 300Mb buniess plan and continue to use BES but castrate your wallet.

Either way its a loose loose for both alternative
    Last edited by evilstrike; 08-28-08 at 01:18 PM.
    08-28-08 01:15 PM
    wow...k, well I'm not really happy about that to say the least, I suppose I should of read the fine print a little closer, but I didn't even think that this could be an issue.
    Now I don't know what to do, my phone should be here tomorrow and it now only does a portion of what I was excited about...
    08-28-08 01:44 PM
    On my iPhone 3G, I just checked my bill summary...I browse the web quite often and my usage was only 50MB last month. I use data to download apps, get e-mail, browse the web, etc...and my avg is only 30-60MB, I really doubt you'd need anything more than 600MB unless you are downloading massive files consistently.
    08-28-08 01:48 PM
    Have we received actual confirmation from Rogers that BIS is not available with the 6GB package, or are we just kinda guessing right now? If so I'm going to be really disapointed, not only has it taken me more than a week to get my delivery (still don't have it), but two of the biggest draws for me don't work together...bah!
    How can they differentiate data use? BIS? downloading a spreadsheet? work email? ... perhaps I am misunderstanding the issue here.

If you are running your own BES does it know or make a difference in data packets received up or down?
    08-28-08 01:51 PM
    How can they differentiate data use? BIS? downloading a spreadsheet? work email? ... perhaps I am misunderstanding the issue here.

If you are running your own BES does it know or make a difference in data packets received up or down?
    Im entirely unfamiliar with BES since this is my first Blackberry however maybe its a question of port blocking rather then packet filtering. Im assuming that if you are using a BIS data plan, they might block ports that allows your blackberry to connect to BES. (im speculating here because I dont know what im talking about) Can someone who knows or works with a BES can confirm or correct me if im wrong
    08-28-08 01:59 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD