Hi, I'm Alvin from Indonesia.
    I want to ask about switching the BBM contact from Curve 8520 to Bold 9700.
    First my phone is Q10, then my girlfriend handphone is 8520, she is going to change to my older phone Bold 9700 (Before the Q10).
    What I'm doing to my Bold 9700 is using application BBSAK to wipe the device, then load the device with OS 6.0.0.723 All Language. But before load the OS, I was shrinking it. Btw, i don't have any experience before about shrinking OS, so I shrinking about 75 mb free space after I load to the device. (Someone help me with the shrinking, about the step please?)
    Then after that I backup the data from Curve 8520, after that I restore it on the Bold 9700.
    After that I remove the mini SIM card, then place it on the Bold 9700.
    Then I updated the Blackberry App World, after that I input the Blackberry ID, and update the BBM to the 7.0 version.
    After Restart the Bold, I launch the BBM then I input the name, below the "name-box" there has a "Restore the contact" icon, but I don't click it. Then it become a new BBM without automatically restore the BBM contact.
    The Curve is also using the BBM 7.0 version, I thought it was automatically backup and restore to the Bold just like I switch to the Q10, but It wasn't restore the BBM contact.
    Then I try to add all the contact manually, also my Q10 PIN.
    The second problem is I can chat to the Bold 9700, and the Bold is also can chat to the other BBM contact that I manually add it, but not with my Q10. I can chat to her but she can't reply my BBM.
    So, how the step to automatically backup and restore if we change from the curve to bold?
    And why the Bold can only receive the BBM from my Q10 but can't reply?

Sorry for the bad english.
    07-11-13 11:20 AM
    Hi Alvin,
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!

What did you use to shrink the OS?

On the 9700, open the Setup app. Is BBID checked off? Confirm your girlfriend's BBID is entered. You could also check via the Options app under BBID.

Next open BBM, click MENU key (BB logo button to left of Trackpad), and scroll down to Restore. Follow directions to restore BBM Contacts.

Next time just use the Device Switch function built into the BB Desktop Software from your PC.
    07-11-13 11:39 AM
    Hi Alvin,
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!

What did you use to shrink the OS?

On the 9700, open the Setup app. Is BBID checked off? Confirm your girlfriend's BBID is entered. You could also check via the Options app under BBID.

Next open BBM, click MENU key (BB logo button to left of Trackpad), and scroll down to Restore. Follow directions to restore BBM Contacts.

Next time just use the Device Switch function built into the BB Desktop Software from your PC.
    I use BB Bos2 to shrink the os..
    Do you mean uncheck the apply this setting to all application? Or enable/disable the collection of usage data? These two option are from the personalization and privacy for BBM below the Blackberry ID.
    In the Blackberry ID there is only name, last name, screen name, etc. The check box is only "I would like to receive information on RIM and blackberry product and service".
    BTW, in the setup of bold 9700 there is no email setup like in the curve, but there is had a email from restoring the backup data from the curve to the bold 9700.
    In the BBM there is no Restore like you say, because the BBM is version 7.0 and also it can't change the profile picture.
    Also, how to use the device switch? I already try to use this option but the option can't be clicked.
    07-11-13 12:23 PM
    In BBID, I didn't mean to uncheck any boxes. I just meant to make sure she is signed in using the same BBID she had on her 8520.

Sorry, I couldn't remember the Backup/Restore option in BBM 7. I thought there was still an option to restore, but maybe I'm mistaken.

You perform Device Switch using DM.
    (DM = Desktop Manager, which was previous name of BB Desktop Software. In the Forums, you'll see it usually still referred to as DM.)
    In top bar of DM, click Device. A dropdown menu appears. Towards bottom you'll see "Switch Devices..."
    Select that, and then follow on-screen instructions.

You will connect 8520 first, then it will tell you to connect new device, 9700.
    The switch will wipe out anything currently on the 9700. (Won't wipe out OS or apps, just any info & settings.)
    Afterwards, the 9700 should be fully restored and working. Any messages received on it previously will be gone however, as it will now only have your data that she had on the 8520.

Hopefully that makes sense for you.
    07-11-13 06:54 PM
    In BBID, I didn't mean to uncheck any boxes. I just meant to make sure she is signed in using the same BBID she had on her 8520.

Sorry, I couldn't remember the Backup/Restore option in BBM 7. I thought there was still an option to restore, but maybe I'm mistaken.

You perform Device Switch using DM.
    (DM = Desktop Manager, which was previous name of BB Desktop Software. In the Forums, you'll see it usually still referred to as DM.)
    In top bar of DM, click Device. A dropdown menu appears. Towards bottom you'll see "Switch Devices..."
    Select that, and then follow on-screen instructions.

You will connect 8520 first, then it will tell you to connect new device, 9700.
    The switch will wipe out anything currently on the 9700. (Won't wipe out OS or apps, just any info & settings.)
    Afterwards, the 9700 should be fully restored and working. Any messages received on it previously will be gone however, as it will now only have your data that she had on the 8520.

Hopefully that makes sense for you.
    Yes, of course she use the same BBID from the Curve.
    And that's the problem, because on her Curve is already using BBM 7.0, so it didn't need backup, because it's backup and restore automatically just like I changed to my Q10 from Bold. But why it didn't backup and restore automatically?
    Can someone help me please?
    For the switch device using DM,i already try it before but the "switch device" option can't select it whether the Curve connected or not.
    07-11-13 08:13 PM
    Hi I have the same problem. My wife has a curve and I have a Q10. I can send her a bbm and she gets it, but I cannot get her bbm ?! The same happens to a friend with a z10 she also cannot get a bbm from curve. Please help
    09-16-13 01:01 PM