I am new to this site and find the site is very helpful. You folks are great!!

I am getting my first BB Bold this Friday from AT&T. Upon receiving it, I plan to refresh the OS from v4.6.0.438 (Multilanguage), Applications: 4.6.0.167, Software Platform: 4.0.0.217 to v4.6.0.438 (EastAsia), Applications: 4.6.0.167, Software Platform: 4.0.0.217.

The purpose of doing so is for the device to display Chinese and allow me to input Chinese as well.

Any risk of making OS change? Under DM, I assume I don't have to backup any data or 3rd party s/w given the device is brand new one.

Any advices will be really appreciated!
    06-10-09 04:15 PM
    Go right ahead, there's no risk upgrading your OS. Unless you screw it someway when you're updating the software. Just remember to delete the vendor.xml file before you update the software.
    06-10-09 05:41 PM
    Thanks,

David
    06-10-09 05:42 PM
    If I download the OS from my service provider's site, do I still have to delete vendor.xml file?
    06-10-09 05:44 PM
    att only offers .167 you will have to download an os from somewhere else. vaniaaulia is right you will need to delete the vendor file. Go to c drive then program files then to common files then to research in motion then to app loader and you will find the vendor file there. In some cases you may need to restart you computer after deleting this file.
    06-10-09 10:13 PM

You can find .266 HERE. You can also view the other available OSes for the Bold HERE.

Follow these two guides:

Proper OS Upgrade & Downgrade Procedures

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

You will need CrackMem, which you can get HERE. The instructions for CrackMem can be found HERE.

Take your time and follow the instructions carefully.

Chris
    06-11-09 12:12 AM
    I recommend not to unbrand, it's pretty risky. I've wanted to do it and I nuked my phone.

So I had to fix it, which took some time and a lot of tries, but now my BB is back up and running
    06-11-09 02:55 AM
    I recommend not to unbrand, it's pretty risky. I've wanted to do it and I nuked my phone.

So I had to fix it, which took some time and a lot of tries, but now my BB is back up and running
    Nobody said anything about unbranding his device...

Chris
    06-11-09 03:19 AM
    Just remember to delete the vendor.xml file before you update the software.
    Out of interest, what happens if you don't remember to do that?
    06-11-09 04:49 AM
    Out of interest, what happens if you don't remember to do that?
    Won't work properly. Will need to reinstall using the procedures from my above post with CrackMem.

Chris
    06-11-09 04:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD