Looking to upgrade from my 1st gen Cingular Pearl to a better BB sometime between October and Christmas.

I primarily use my phone for podcasting, email, texting, web browsing, and talking (what I assume most people use their BB's for). I had planned on getting a Bold, but from reading some of the specs I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't go with the Tour.

I want a nice clear speaker, regular headphone jack, decent battery life, good cam, and a nice screen res....again things alot of people want.

Anyway, what real day to day advantages or disadvantages does the Bold have over the Tour?

-matt
    08-22-09 11:16 PM
    Do you want Wi-Fi? There is no Wi-Fi on the Tour. For me, Wi-Fi was a must.
    08-22-09 11:49 PM
    Well - let me see here. The Tour does have a slightly (and I do mean slightly) better camera, but if it's a camera you want - you should get a camera. I have a really nice one that I carry around with me all the time in my purse.

I find that texting and writing (in general) on my Bold is very comfortable and fast. My Bold has a regular headphone jack on it - and my speaker is exceptionally clear.

Wifi was a must for me and the ability to talk on my phone while doing other things at the same time. It's all there!

Some of the problems that others have mentioned - maybe I had one or two of them, but by upgrading my OS - everything has been resolved - including battery life. I mean - it's a battery and how long is a battery supposed to last anyway?

The things I went through with my Bold only served to help me to become more knowledgeable about it. And I guess you can tell from all of this that I am totally addicted to my Bold.

To me - you choose a BlackBerry pretty much in the same manner you would choose a computer. You decide exactly what you want to do with it then you check the specs and make your choice.

Good Luck! I am certain you will be satisfied with whichever one you choose.

Peace...
    08-23-09 12:06 AM
    Well - let me see here. The Tour does have a slightly (and I do mean slightly) better camera, but if it's a camera you want - you should get a camera. I have a really nice one that I carry around with me all the time in my purse.
    Same here. I am an amateur photographer. I use an SLR if I want high quality photos.

I also like the larger form factor of the Bold. I find that it is easier to type on it.
    08-23-09 12:09 AM
    The camera difference between the two, 3.2 vs 2.0mp (?) isn't really a large deciding factor, but a lot of little deciding factors can tip a scale when weighing a decision.

Furthermore, depending on the camera, a nice 2mp camera can be comparable to a really crappy 3.2mp. Am I going to be using this camera to take family portraits for photography contests? Of course not. What I will be using this camera for is geo tagging when I geocache, snapping pics to post online, and snapping interesting things to email to wife and family. A handy camera that I always have with me will get much more use than a really nice SLR that I don't always have on hand, regardless of pic quality. I use my crappy VGA camera on my pearl much more often than my actual camera that I bought for photography for the simple reason that I always have my pearl with me.
    08-23-09 12:54 AM
    There isn't going to be much of a noticeable difference between a 2.0 and a 3.2 mp camera. A DSLR will have a camera that is around 10 mp or better. I don't expect a high quality camera from a cell phone. I use a real camera when I want high quality pictures.
    08-23-09 01:00 AM
    im going to have to disagree with you guys about the camera here. the sample pics i've seen from the Tour are MUCH better than the Bold. sure, it's only 3.2MP, but the pics look a lot better.

the other edge the Tour has over the Bold is the 128MB ROM instead of 64MB. you know, i was going to go with the Tour over the Bold, but the problem was the Tour was going to cost me about $200 more. the camera thing REALLY gets me. the bold's cam looks like it's gonna be a crapper.

anyway, i should be receiving my Bold in a few days and i'm psyched.
    08-23-09 05:13 AM
    so the Tour has twice the ROM as the Bold? I understand the Bold is faster though, but how much faster? Which one is more likely to freeze up on me when I have Viigo running in the background while accessing pics from my SD card to post on facebook while I have an email half written as I talk to my wife on the phone?
    08-23-09 08:54 AM
    im going to have to disagree with you guys about the camera here. the sample pics i've seen from the Tour are MUCH better than the Bold. sure, it's only 3.2MP, but the pics look a lot better.

the other edge the Tour has over the Bold is the 128MB ROM instead of 64MB. you know, i was going to go with the Tour over the Bold, but the problem was the Tour was going to cost me about $200 more. the camera thing REALLY gets me. the bold's cam looks like it's gonna be a crapper.

anyway, i should be receiving my Bold in a few days and i'm psyched.
    Again I say - if a camera is what you really want then get one. However, I also firmly believe that the quality of picture you get is the direct result of the quality of the picture taker. I have taken some pics with my Bold that have surprized me with how good they are.

On another subject, though - I have never seen this termanology or these numbers you have quoted here used in reference to the Bold. Where did you get your information from? Just wondering...

Peace...

P. S. I'm glad you're getting the Bold anyway though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 09:54 AM
    The Bold is also a 3G phone and you don't buy it for the camera. The Onyx will also be 3G and will have the 3.2MP camera as well as other improvements. The Bold is still a great phone and I am very happy with it.
    08-23-09 10:18 AM
    I am almost 100% sure the Tour has 256MB and the Bold has 128MB.
    08-23-09 10:49 AM
    Take a look at the threads on the Bold. It is by far the better device. The Bold has WiFi and is a 3G device as well as stereo speakers. You are comparing a CDMA phone to a GSM phone. The Bold also handles more WCDMA frequencies. The speed at which packet data handled is far faster on the Bold. The Tour has a better camera which is not a good reason to get a phone.
    08-23-09 10:59 AM
    upgrade to the bold.
    08-23-09 05:27 PM
    oops yeah. tour's rom is 256MB, bold's is 128MB. typed the wrong #'s by mistake, but my point was that the tour has twice the ROM.

so basically ROM, CAMERA ... tour > bold

WIFI ... bold > tour

those, IMO are the REAL deciding factors. the other differences such as size, tour having newer bluetooth technology, etc, are irrelevant to me.

the best deciding factor for you might be which network will be better for you, verizon or att?
    08-23-09 05:55 PM
    Well I already have AT&T, and after reading these boards I think for now I'll stick with AT&T, if nothing else then because the majority of my time is spent in areas with Wi-Fi access.

So the Bold seems like the better choice, but how important is that extra ROM that the Tour has? Should I wait to upgrade until the newest Bold (onyx?) or comes out? Money isn't really as important as getting the right phone that I'll be happy with for the next couple of years.
    08-23-09 08:07 PM
    Get the Bold if money is not an issue. Think of it as a test drive for the Onyx. However, you may end up liking the Bold so much that you decided to wait on the next "Bold".
    08-23-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD