OK, struggling to find a direct answer on the battery life of the new Bold 9900?

I've near enough stopped using my android and just forward my calls and txt messages to my corporate Bold 9780 because the battery live is so poo, so the plan is to upgrade my current contract that has just expired.

I love the battery life on the 9780 and with light use it will typically last me 4 to 5 days. I've had a look at the 9900 and love the new features on it but don't want a device I have to charge every night. I deviantly don't want a device that if I forget to charge it every day it will go flat on me (like my HTC Desire)....

So can anyone please give me some feedback on there typical run time on light use? When I say light use I mean 10-30 minutes calls, no WiFi, about 30 minutes email and maybe 30 minutes social networking (in an area with constant coverage).

I really like the look of the new 9900 but really don't want a device that is going to beep at me because its flat all the time.

Many thanks

08-23-11 12:02 PM
    Take note that Being connected to Wifi Will give you better battery life.
    08-23-11 12:07 PM
    9780 battery last you 4-5 days...are u serious? this cant be right...ive own 4 blackberry in my life....wait ive own over 12 different cell phones in my life...and i always leave my phone charging overnight...i like to start my day with a fresh battery...and i get great life span from my batteries....im not trying to bash u...but 4-5 days on a 9780...
    08-23-11 12:10 PM
    Take note that Being connected to Wifi Will give you better battery life.
    Hmm, ok .. On my Android it kills the battery!
    08-23-11 12:11 PM
    My 9780 lasted 4 days. The absolute biggest factor in battery life is the strength of the wireless signal. If the phone is constantly straining to get a good signal or hunting among multiple towers, the battery will drain down in hours. Live right next to a cell tower on your network? Easily get 3-4 days of battery life. People forget this... go into the ALT+SHIFT+H screen and look at your signal in dBm. Lower is better. If it's 85-80, you're awesome. Anything over 100 and you'll lose you battery inside of a day.
    08-23-11 12:13 PM
    4-5 days? xD

my advice:
    just buy the 9900 and also buy an extra battery+battery charger
    these batteries are so small and thin, you can easily put it in your pocket or wallet

that way you dont have to worry about your battery life at all
    08-23-11 12:14 PM
    I will see how my 9900 will fair as far as battery life after a few days cycling it. I got it yesterday at 4 and the charge out of the box was around 30%. After continued use it was dead at 7:30. I'm sure that the battery will stabilize after a few days. Then I'll see. I wish that the battery was the same as the 9780 since I already have the Seidio extended battery that gave me STELLAR life throughout the day.

Although I do think that being on TMO's HSPA+ might be a culprit as well.
    rayhead likes this.
    08-23-11 12:16 PM
    My 9780 lasted 4 days. The absolute biggest factor in battery life is the strength of the wireless signal. If the phone is constantly straining to get a good signal or hunting among multiple towers, the battery will drain down in hours. Live right next to a cell tower on your network? Easily get 3-4 days of battery life. People forget this... go into the ALT+SHIFT+H screen and look at your signal in dBm. Lower is better. If it's 85-80, you're awesome. Anything over 100 and you'll lose you battery inside of a day.
    I'm getting -85 dbm, I don't get a signal where I live, well only if I go upstairs in one of the bedrooms. One thing I forgot to mention is most of the functions have been disabled in the corporate policy via the BES sever!

So I get no Apps, No yahoo mail (even if I web brouse to it) and the ba%^&%ds even disabled my Camera

Had a blackberry for the last 7 years with work and haven't been able to use them to there full extent, they even disable the BBS but let you txt each other WTF!
    Last edited by rayhead; 08-23-11 at 02:37 PM.
    08-23-11 02:35 PM
    I'd say that while idling the 9900 and 9780 the battery life is about the same but when you're using the phone the 9900 drains ~10% faster. That's an estimate based on my 2 weeks of experience with the 9900 coming from a 9780. I'm a heavy user.
    rayhead likes this.
    08-23-11 03:06 PM
    9780 4 -5 day battery life....righht If you don't touch the phone
    08-23-11 03:34 PM
    I think your Bold will get better with a few charges - at least mine did and with Medium/Heavy use (texts, emails, searches, talking and just playing around) I still have about 43% by 8 or 9 pm (from 7am) The first week I was worried but now its fine.

However I will say my 9700 had a great battery but the best by far is my dear old 8330 curve.
    08-23-11 03:45 PM
    Wow, WHAT is so hard about charging every night? You get home, you put it on the charger to top it up, you take it off before you go to bed. Do you have trouble remembering to brush your teeth too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 03:52 PM
    I never understood what's up with people and not wanting to charge every night, i put my phone on the charger whenever I am home using my PC

What's so difficult about that?

People just wanna brag that their phone can go for 2 - 3 days without a charge let alone the unreal 4 - 5 days as if they had a car battery attached to their BlackBerry, we don't live in a desert, there are electrical sources almost everywhere you go be it a pc or a wall socket
    08-23-11 03:53 PM
    I don't have a ton of stuff running and I'm a moderate user and I'm getting just a bit less time than my 9780. I'm charging the 9900 every 2 days.
    rayhead likes this.
    08-23-11 10:26 PM
    9780 4 -5 day battery life....righht If you don't touch the phone
    Yeh no problem at all getting 5 days, as I said I am a light user and most of my apps are disabled in the BES by our IT team...

Wow, WHAT is so hard about charging every night? You get home, you put it on the charger to top it up, you take it off before you go to bed. Do you have trouble remembering to brush your teeth too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Some of us don't have the luxury of getting home to a nice clean bed every night, I do a lot of work for the UK forces so some time I don't even have power (apart from my solar pack) to charge my phone!!

Plus personally when I'm back in the UK I don't want the hassle of remembering to "MAKE SURE" I put my phone on charge or it will go flat the next day.. Lets stop making excuses for the poor battery life on some of these phones. 99.9% wont go flat over night but if you don't charge them they will die the next day when you need to use it, believe I have been in this situation many times with the HTC I also have.

Thank you for the reply's so far!
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-24-11 01:48 AM
    I've not personally used the 9900 but I'd still say it should be able to give a decent battery backup from reading the posts in the forum. Still not arguing the fact that the 9700 or the 9780 have a proven record of giving out a good battery life. I have used a 9780 and it gives me a backup for 2 - 2 and a half days with moderate use and since my office is in a basement. I am more than satisfied with it. I would say although Nokia's are antiquated with their Operating systems you can try out the E series they do give me a 4 - 5 day battery backup. Bottom line is - 9780 (if you do not wish to experiment and take a risk) 9900 ( if you go by what others say ) Nokia if you want to be certain of the backup.
    rayhead likes this.
    08-24-11 02:32 AM
    Yeh no problem at all getting 5 days, as I said I am a light user and most of my apps are disabled in the BES by our IT team...

Some of us don't have the luxury of getting home to a nice clean bed every night, I do a lot of work for the UK forces so some time I don't even have power (apart from my solar pack) to charge my phone!!

Plus personally when I'm back in the UK I don't want the hassle of remembering to "MAKE SURE" I put my phone on charge or it will go flat the next day.. Lets stop making excuses for the poor battery life on some of these phones. 99.9% wont go flat over night but if you don't charge them they will die the next day when you need to use it, believe I have been in this situation many times with the HTC I also have.

Thank you for the reply's so far!
    Well if that's the case, then you will need an additionally barrery to carry around with you, they're very slim

But to be honest, with all the power the 9900 sports under the hood, I doubt that you will go one day with a charge of maximum 1.5 days.

This is me just being honest. Maybe things will improve in the future but no promises.
    rayhead likes this.
    08-24-11 03:03 AM
    yea, just buy another battery+battery charger
    if thats not enough for you, you could buy an extended 3500mah or w/e battery for your BB, which then should last a few days
    they arent released yet tho

i just know that i wouldnt buy one of those extended batteries, they make your phone look ********
    rayhead likes this.
    08-24-11 03:34 AM
    I think RIM is done making phones with good battery life. Sure, still better than most Android devices, but probably just on par with the iPhone.

There's just a faint hope that rumored device called the 9790 is going to be a successor to the 9780. Maybe, no details yet.
    rayhead likes this.
    08-24-11 03:40 AM
    Many thanks for all the reply guy's, been very usfull input!

Going to pop down the O2 Live shop we have here in South Wales and re-new my contract next week! It will be nice to finally get a Blackberry that is not locked down by stupid IT policy
    08-24-11 07:29 AM
    how come ur 9780 battery can lasting till 4~5 days ? super light user?
    i have own 3 bold 9780 with different carrier at&t , tmobile and Brightstar set
    my 9780 battery can lasting 2 days only and im statisfied with it..

now waiting my 9900 arrived..heard from kevin 9900 battery life not bad..
    08-24-11 08:34 AM
    known issue,
    better don't buy if you are not happy with it
    08-24-11 09:41 AM
    Got on Cruise last week with my 9900. On and off for phone coverage, received emials only about hour or two at small towns. So I charged my phone once in 3 days at least
    rayhead likes this.
    08-24-11 10:03 AM
    how come ur 9780 battery can lasting till 4~5 days ? super light user?
    i have own 3 bold 9780 with different carrier at&t , tmobile and Brightstar set
    my 9780 battery can lasting 2 days only and im statisfied with it..

now waiting my 9900 arrived..heard from kevin 9900 battery life not bad..
    Maybe its something to do with the IT Policy I am locked to??? But yeh 4~5 days no problem at all. I don't really use the internet as my company have locked that down as well
    08-25-11 11:58 AM
    yea, just buy another battery+battery charger
    if thats not enough for you, you could buy an extended 3500mah or w/e battery for your BB, which then should last a few days
    they arent released yet tho

i just know that i wouldnt buy one of those extended batteries, they make your phone look ********
    I thought the extended battery would be the same size but just last longer?
    08-25-11 12:18 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD