Hi I have had my bold 9700 since its release, and got as a xmas present.

I have downloaded the latest version of Blackberry Desktop Manager (v 1.0.3 (build 19)) and my phones software is v5.0.0.423 (platform 5.1.0.116).
    I have recently had the problem where my app world has disappeared and not returned, so I thought I'd check if there is an update. So ive gone to update my bb and when I go to do so I got the error...

"A newer version of Blackberry Desktop Manager is required to update the software on your device. Please download an updated version and retry."

So i did the download, thinking it would fix however I still get this error message?!?!
    Has anyone had the same problem and know a fix, or is there anyone that knows what I need to do.

Any help given would be great help! Thanks in advance
    George

*** PS. Sorry meant to add I am a Mac User ***
    Last edited by GeorgeSof; 07-13-10 at 08:23 AM.
    07-13-10 07:55 AM
    I was about to post a suggestion but now that I know that you're a Mac user it might not help. So, sorry I can't be a much of a help to you.

I can give you a small advice though. Get a PC and do the Update
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 07-13-10 at 11:39 AM.
    07-13-10 11:36 AM
    I have a pc, but the internet on it is buggered up so cant be bothered to set it up in there.
    What was your suggestion for the PC and ill see if it can translate to Mac.

Thanks for your reply Ahmed G do appreciate it
    Last edited by GeorgeSof; 07-13-10 at 12:22 PM.
    07-13-10 11:55 AM
    don't mension it

we are here to help

So, By update you've meant applications update. right? or OS upgrade?
    07-13-10 12:22 PM
    Ahmed G do you recommend that I then just do a wireless update directly from my phone?
    However would this mean that I lose my apps on BB such as brickbreaker and then games downloaded from app world?
    07-13-10 12:23 PM
    Nooo OS upgrade mate

My appworld has disappeared too :S
    07-13-10 12:26 PM
    I've never done a wireless update so I don't know what it does exaclty and whether you'll lose your apps or not.

However, if your carrier supports the wireless update feature, you can go ahead and try it after BACKING UP.

BBSAK backs up 3rd party apps but you'll need a PC to install it

Edit:

If you can find a PC at work, that would be great. You can download the .exe OS file and then install it on the PC and do your work. Also, if any of your friends could lend you their PC, that would be awsome too.

The installation/upgrading procedure for an OS using a PC can be found at my signature.

Most of Mac users here have used a PC to upgrade, especially if DM did not show the OS they've installed on their Mac
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 07-13-10 at 12:40 PM.
    07-13-10 12:35 PM
    I backed it up this morning before I went to do on my mac before, I just cannot understand why it is giving me this message when I have the most up-to-date desktop manager for Mac? :S very very odd.

I'm just doing the wireless update on my phone now, fingers crossed haha
    07-13-10 12:42 PM
    Good luck !
    07-13-10 12:46 PM
    Ahmed G do you recommend that I then just do a wireless update directly from my phone?
    However would this mean that I lose my apps on BB such as brickbreaker and then games downloaded from app world?
    Can you do a wireless update with Vodafone?
    I didn't think they supported that yet.

Nooo OS upgrade mate

My appworld has disappeared too :S
    App World always disappears if you've deleted an app from your Applications list, instead of from My World within App World.
    Did you do that? If so, you just need to download it again from mobile.blackberry.com on your phone.
    07-13-10 12:50 PM
    Haha thank you!!! Verifying update about to install, surprisingly an easy process!

Just praying for blackberry 6 on bold 9700

Thanks again for the help
    07-13-10 12:51 PM
    Excellent News

have you lost any of the apps ?
    07-13-10 12:55 PM
    Hi Phil, well I am on Vodafone and i have the wireless update option on my 9700, so I assume so :S haha

Eurgh the amount of times I have tried to download it and still Phil no luck whatsoever!!! again :S haha
    07-13-10 01:00 PM
    Ahmed; you can customise and get it to update the stock games/apps

ill probably lose the ones from the app world (I'm assuming) but its still patching so I will let you know when all completed
    07-13-10 01:01 PM
    Hi Phil, well I am on Vodafone and i have the wireless update option on my 9700, so I assume so :S haha
    That's handy to know George, thanks

I guess you have to already have an official Voda OS installed on your device for it to work though... which I very rarely do
    07-13-10 01:05 PM
    Haha! tut tut phil with you and unofficial OS' :P

Phil, you enjoying the 9700?
    As a mac user I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the software for Desktop Manager
    07-13-10 01:09 PM
    Most of them are official George... just not Voda's

Loving the 9700 thanks. Never got into the whole 'Apple thing' so can't comment on the Mac software, but I can say the PC stuff works great.
    07-13-10 01:29 PM
    I'm having the same issue, but I've got an Intel mac so I've tried with both the Mac and Windows versions of DM (the latest versions for each, made sure of it).

When I allow it to "download the newer version", it's updating the DM software, not the BB's OS itself... And it just keeps overwriting with the newest version (because I've already got it installed).

This is getting irritating...

I'm on a bold 9000 running .681, if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

*edit* So, if I go into C/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/Apploader and run the Loader.exe, it works great. WTF?
    Last edited by BigYellow; 07-14-10 at 02:01 PM.
    07-14-10 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD