I literally drop EVERY WiFi call after about 5-7 minutes. I get an error message "WiFi Signal Lost". I would normally just blame the WiFi network I'm on, but it does it on multiple totally different networks (home, work, Burger King, etc...). And I know for sure both home and work networks are very stable and fast. Not sure what the issue is. If I go and view the network details of the network I'm on, the signal strength is typically between -40 and -75 dBm.

While in UMA mode, the phone will actually go out of UMA mode sometimes for no apparent reason, and won't go back into UMA mode until after a few minutes. The worst part is that the Home screen says I'm still connected to the WiFi network, but the top right corner doesn't say UMA! It says 3G! And YES, my Mobile Network Mode is set to "WiFi Preferred". Even if I set it to WiFi Only, the top of the Home screen says I'm connected to the WiFi network, but the top right corner says OFF and the phone just goes dead!!

I use this phone for work and it needs to be reliable. Is my above WiFi Calling experience normal?? If not, does anybody know anything I can try? Are there some apps that conflict the with operation of the phone portion at all? I'm back to using the default theme now and it's still doing it... Should I try doing a factory reset?

Here are the apps I can think of that I have installed:

Dark Galaxy
    CrunchSMS
    Bolt Browser w/BBLauncher Plugin
    QuickPull
    GoogleMaps
    Weather Channel
    Tetris by Electronic Arts

* I've removed a bunch of the default apps, but all other apps on the phone are ones that it came with.

Another thing I've been noticing... it will randomly lock up for a few seconds and be TOTALLY unresponsive. If I'm scrolling through a page, the pointer will all of a sudden stop and become completely unresponsive for a few seconds. Then resumes like nothing happened. And, if I'm typing a long text or email and it does this total-lock up, I'll look up from the keyboard and see that none of my keystrokes were being echo'd onto the screen while it was locked up. But then it starts working again like nothing happened.

BUT!! The strange thing is that if I'm typing while it's locked up, it doesn't appear to a buffer any of my keystrokes! (as opposed to on my old BB 8330: sometimes when it got bogged down because I had too much stuff running in the background, the keystrokes being echo'ed to the screen would sometimes slow down and lag behind my typing.... but it always kept track of what I typed and would eventually catch up.) HOWEVER, when my 9780 completely locks up like I mentioned above, it doesn't seem to recognize that I typed anything while it was locked up. So when it "snaps out of it" and comes back to life, none of the keystrokes I typed while it was locked up are echo'ed onto the screen. I'm wondering if it's during these complete lockups that I'm dropping calls??

Running 6.0 Bundle 1879 (v6.0.0.448, Platform 6.5.0.136)

Thanks in advance!
    07-20-11 09:22 PM
    maybe you're blaming it on the device when it's really your wifi...
    07-21-11 01:36 AM
    One possible reason is that one of your applications "takes over" the internet connection for its own purpose periodically and blocks traffic.

I use AccuWeather and I have noticed that it (sometimes) blocks the phone completely when it is updating. I believe it is the advertisement download that does it.

I do not know if any of these applications are advertisement driven:
    Dark Galaxy
    QuickPull
    Weather Channel
    Tetris by Electronic Arts
    Does this cause a lot of static during calls too? It seems I get nearly constant static and garbled call quality and then "pop", the call drops...
    07-21-11 04:38 PM
    I just tested my UMA connection speed here on my work WiFi nework. I did multiple different tests at Mobile Speed test and came back with the following results:

Test Size: 100kB

Your Speed: 630 Kbps

Your Latency: 0.37 seconds

Transferred 100 KB in 1.27 seconds

Test Size: 100kB

Your Speed: 1159 Kbps

Your Latency: 0.506 seconds

Transferred 100 KB in 0.69 seconds

Test Size: 2MB

Your Speed: 4908 Kbps

Your Latency: 0.337 seconds

Transferred 2000 KB in 3.26 seconds

Test Size: 7MB

Your Speed: 6263 Kbps

Your Latency: 0.42 seconds

Transferred 7000 KB in 8.94 seconds

Why am I having so many issues with phone calls on UMA!!??
    07-22-11 01:56 PM
    I have also had problems with calls on UMA, though not nearly as severe as yours. I've tried several different OS versions all with the same result: call sound gets very garbled to the point of unintelligibility and the call drops. Even more provoking is that it's not every call--and like your situation it happens on any wifi system.

That said... I like the question about what's running in the background: it doesn't matter what you have installed, only what is actively running in the background. I have as little as possible running in the background, and the only program that auto-updates is BeWeather.

So what is actually running? And what may be auto-updating that is not actively running?

m
    07-23-11 11:47 AM
    I have also had problems with calls on UMA, though not nearly as severe as yours. I've tried several different OS versions all with the same result: call sound gets very garbled to the point of unintelligibility and the call drops. Even more provoking is that it's not every call--and like your situation it happens on any wifi system.

That said... I like the question about what's running in the background: it doesn't matter what you have installed, only what is actively running in the background. I have as little as possible running in the background, and the only program that auto-updates is BeWeather.

So what is actually running? And what may be auto-updating that is not actively running?

m
    You have exactly explained my issues in 1/10th the amount of text! LOL!

Couple questions that may lead us down a right path:

- Have you tried doing a factory reset and eliminating all background running services?

- How many contacts do you have loaded? I have about 800....

- How many calendar entries do you have? I think I have about 400-600 on the phone... I like to keep a history of my activities with me at all times

I have noticed SOME better calls at my home network, but my work one still sucks.

Thanks!!
    07-25-11 07:25 AM
    Couple questions that may lead us down a right path:

- Have you tried doing a factory reset and eliminating all background running services?

- How many contacts do you have loaded? I have about 800....

- How many calendar entries do you have? I think I have about 400-600 on the phone... I like to keep a history of my activities with me at all times

I have noticed SOME better calls at my home network, but my work one still sucks.

Thanks!!
    I haven't done a factory reset, but I have gone with no optional background programs; there are five (if you include BBM) that cannot be stopped, with no change.

I have fewer contacts and about the same number of calendar entries.

That said, the fact that there is a difference between home and work does strongly suggest there is something about the routers, settings, or interference in those locations.

m
    07-25-11 09:59 AM
    Bump

Anyone find a resolution for this? I'm having the same issue: 9780 on Tmo; UMA won't work; UMA error code W006.3 in WiFi Diagnostics
    08-12-11 08:48 AM
    Weird update. If you send a txt, the phone will then connect to UMA
    08-12-11 10:10 AM
    Am using the .600 OS here and my UMA seems to behave fine. I use it with two different WiFi routers - my old Netgear WG602v2 on a 10MBps Virgin Broadband cable connection. And my neighbour's Sky router on their Sky ADSL connection.

In both cases 95% of calls are fine. I do get the odd very rare corrupted call - but can only remember two in the last few months where I could not understand the other caller.

Importantly I don't have any apps on here beyond the default ones. In fact, I have even removed Social Media like Twitter, Facebook, and all IM programs. Still have BBM, but don't use it. I use it as a phone, but do have a huge contacts list and many calendar entries.

To me UMA is incredibly valuable as phone signals in my house are non-existent due to the neighbouring college buildings blocking the signals.
    08-13-11 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD