Since verizon and us cellular are both cdma networks, would i be able to unlock a 9930 from vzw and use it without issue on us cellulars network?

also, when us cellular rolls out its 4g, will it work for that?
    10-21-11 07:09 PM
    If US Cellular runs the same frequencies as Verizon I guess it's technically possible.

No BB is 4G capable yet. T-Mobile likes to say H+ is 4G but it's 3.5G at best. No BB has an LTE chipset in it which is what all the major carriers are going to AT&T and Sprint. Verizon already has widespread LTE service.
    10-21-11 07:20 PM
    Since verizon and us cellular are both cdma networks, would i be able to unlock a 9930 from vzw and use it without issue on us cellulars network?

also, when us cellular rolls out its 4g, will it work for that?
    Technically there really isn't such a thing as an "unlocked" CDMA device. At least not in the sense of an unlocked GSM device.

What you would theoretically need to do is have the ESN (the serial number that ties CDMA devices to a CDMA network) released from Verizon's network and then call US Cellular and convince them to allow the ESN on to their network.

Generally CDMA carriers don't like to allow devices onto their networks that are not specifically branded for them, but US Cellular being a regional carrier I don't know what their policies are.

If you're successful in the process I stated above, then yes the Bold 9930 should run fine on US Celluar as long as you have the proper data plan on your account, and the appropriate service books pushed to your device.

As for 4G, no The 9930 does not have an LTE radio, and will only run on European HSPA networks.
    10-21-11 07:31 PM
    thanks for the replies....guess i will ride out this 9850 for awhile yet.
    10-21-11 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD