I unlocked the phone yesterday and got everything set up. I can do the simple call, text, etc. I have the internet and the email set up as well.

However, I can not find out how to get 3g service. Is it not possible to have 3g? I have the "edge" network which sucks and I get poor service and the internet is slow.

Also, I can not find "App World" after updating to the new software.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    07-19-11 07:57 AM
    You will never get 3G, you're limited to EDGE.

I don't use app world, IMO it's junk, so I can't help you other than suggesting you redownload it.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-19-11 at 08:34 AM.
    07-19-11 08:13 AM
    Wow. That blows.

Also, I charged the phone to like 35% last night--went to bed at 11. Woke up at 4am and the phone was already dead.

Is this normal?
    07-19-11 08:43 AM
    Wow. That blows.

Also, I charged the phone to like 35% last night--went to bed at 11. Woke up at 4am and the phone was already dead.

Is this normal?
    No, I start with a full battery every morning at 7AM and have 30% at 10PM, after a full day of BBM, web browsing, text msgs, phone calls, etc.
    07-19-11 08:44 AM
    I unlocked the phone yesterday and got everything set up. I can do the simple call, text, etc. I have the internet and the email set up as well.

However, I can not find out how to get 3g service. Is it not possible to have 3g? I have the "edge" network which sucks and I get poor service and the internet is slow.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Can you access the browser? If so go to: mobile.blackberry.com and download app world. If no internet access, you will need the correct data plan plus need to get at&t apn settings and input into options-advanced-tcp
    07-19-11 10:07 AM

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Can you access the browser? If so go to: mobile.blackberry.com and download app world. If no internet access, you will need the correct data plan plus need to get at&t apn settings and input into options-advanced-tcp
    Yeah, I'd say they can access the browser
    07-19-11 10:43 AM
    Had a quick follow up question to this - is it possible to use an unlocked 9650 on at&t's prepaid plan and get data? Or do we need to get a specific data package?
    07-19-11 01:23 PM
    Had a quick follow up question to this - is it possible to use an unlocked 9650 on at&t's prepaid plan and get data? Or do we need to get a specific data package?
    AT&T does not offer BIS on prepaid plans.

T-Mobile does offer BIS on prepaid plans.
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    07-19-11 01:27 PM
    AT&T does not offer BIS on prepaid plans.

T-Mobile does offer BIS on prepaid plans.
    Ah, excellent info...thanks. Any idea what the costs run like for a tmo prepaid plan? Does any carrier offer data only prepaid plans?

TIA!
    07-19-11 01:28 PM
    Ah, excellent info...thanks. Any idea what the costs run like for a tmo prepaid plan? Does any carrier offer data only prepaid plans?

TIA!
    I am not aware of any US carrier offering BIS only, without a voice plan, whether prepaid or postpaid.

Try this thread for the T-Mobile prepaid BIS.
    kazmi likes this.
    07-19-11 01:35 PM
    Wow. That blows.

Is this normal?
    Definitely NOT normal for a Bold running on EDGE......when I use it on EDGE abroad, I still get around 80% battery left at the end of the day after constant texting, messaging etc
    07-19-11 09:48 PM
    The data will be slow, and many apps will not work.... but if you are just attempting to use the phone feature, than go for it. Still a nice phone to use, even if it is crippled.
    07-21-11 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD