Hi, I just bought an unlocked, unbranded 9780 from amazon to use with at&t. The amazon product description says it covers the 850 and 1900 bands so I assumed it would snag a 3g signal. Apparently Amazon lied. The only thing i get is edge/gprs. I'm debating returning it but I really like the device. I'm coming from an iPhone and this really has what I need compared to my 3gs and I'm already seeing the merits.

I don't do much web surfing and no media streaming. I need the device for phone calls, email, texting and the mp3 player and some pictures. I do ccasional browsing only on my phone and I have wireless at work and home.

My question is if i decide to keep the device is there anything else I would miss out on not having 3g? I'm torn between returning it out of principle because amazon mislead me or just keeping it because I think it would do the job. Any thoughts? I would be keeping this u ntil the QNX devices hit. I decided to save my upgrade until then and I needed to get something more workable that an iPhone. (Love the profiles and the red light in an office setting)

Thanks for any advice or prospective you have.
    08-04-11 08:17 PM
    amazon didnt lie, you didnt do sufficient research.
    TMO uses some of the same frequencies but AWS (alternate spectrum)
    08-04-11 08:21 PM
    Fubar,

Hope you enjoyed the self-promotion!!!! In so doing, you completely
    neglected to answer my question.

Okay, maybe I do have a some more to learn, but I thought
    I left this kind of juvenile prattle behind when I stopped viewing
    bgr. Guess not.......

ANYWAY, may we now re-direct back to the original intent of the post.

Does anyone have any input to the original question.

Thanks again. For the most part, this forum has been great forum with a lot of good input and patience with newbies.
    08-04-11 09:34 PM
    If it was me, I'd return it out of principle. I would hate to have a useful feature on my phone that simply didn't work.

For you however, if you're only going to use it primarily for phone calls, email, texting, music and pics, with occasional browsing over wifi... then you really don't need 3G, so I'd keep it.

You won't be missing out on anything without 3G, other than slower network browsing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Tedley24 likes this.
    08-04-11 09:43 PM
    Sms , phone calls aren't affected if your on edge or 3G. Only difference is the speed of the data. 3G being faster

08-04-11 09:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies. What was said confirms what I was thinking as well. I think I'm gonna keep it, especially since I'll probably upgrade when QNX hits. I think I'll derive more benefit from the increased memory, updated OS and the better camera that I would from having 3g.

Thanks again for the input!!!
    08-04-11 11:37 PM
    I am also using an unlocked and unbranded 9780 on Att. I would add that the lack of 3G support does not have significant effect if you only use email and messenger, unless you are surfing and downloading lots of stuffs. Another thing might be that you do not have UMA support, which the 9780 from Tmobile does.
    08-04-11 11:56 PM
    Tedley - if you decide to return it and still want a 9780 to use on AT&T then I would suggest checking eBay for an unlocked Rogers, Bell or Telus device. All three use the same 3G bands as AT&T. The only feature you would not have initially would be the AT& visual voice mail. You can get the VVM to operate but it will require modification to some .axl files.

Hope this helps.

08-05-11 12:06 AM
    Virgin Mobile Canada will also work on AT&T..
    08-05-11 11:21 AM
    2G is also works fine.
    08-06-11 03:09 AM
    Hello Tedley, I ran into the same problem, and I gave it a shot for a few days...had to sell it. I barely even use my data plan and I still couldn't deal with Edge speeds. They are ridiculously slow here, compared to 3G.

I did manage to procure an unbranded (not sure if it is unlocked) 9780 that works on AT&T's 3G network. So it's possible to find them. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from is like me and just bought it from someone else, so he wasn't any help sourcing more.

Keep an eye on ebay!
    08-08-11 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD