So I had a possible situation with my carrier, and was doing some research about what steps I would need to take to take my business elsewhere...turns out I don't have to leave, but I was mildly surprised when I followed the steps to check for a (un)locked status, and everything came up disabled, swapped over to my 3g+2g, vs 2g, dropped the dual, and still worked like a champ. This was a boxed Bold from an At&t store, purchased on day one. Nothing other than os updates (4.6.0.282 currently), so my question to everyone is this: did I get lucky being sold an unlocked phone from the start, or is there something I'm missing? Anyone else have any knowledge or experience concerning this?

Thanks
    07-23-09 06:34 PM
    Mine was actually unlocked out of the box also. Hasn't benefitted me yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-23-09 07:45 PM
    It's been mentioned before that the .282 OS allows at&t bolds to switch to 2g only mode. Unlocked means you can use any SIM card in it. Haven't heard of any at&t branded devices coming out of the box unlocked, but maybe.

07-23-09 07:51 PM
    I heard from the grapevine that AT&T is no longer locking any of their Blackberry devices, due to none AT&T customers flooding their customer support lines unlock codes.

07-23-09 10:00 PM
    I heard from the grapevine that AT&T is no longer locking any of their Blackberry devices, due to none AT&T customers flooding their customer support lines unlock codes.

bull$hit definately not true your smoking the good sh!t if you believe that
    what vine are you on? Jack n the Bean stok?

i have three that i unlocked myself in my posession that i got direct from them... if that was the case of them shipping all of them unlocked that would put a guy like me out of business... all i do is unlocks and repairs
    Last edited by skygear; 07-23-09 at 11:08 PM. Reason: mor einfo
    07-23-09 11:04 PM
    Its ones there were shiped from Att labs with in the last week or so. Dunno if it is intentional or someone not doing their job.
    07-24-09 02:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD