So I have had a Blackberry Bold 9780 on Rogers in Canada for the last little while, and heard it's compatible with T-Mobile in the states. I unlocked my Bold and set up an account with T-Mobile now that I'm in the states and everything seems to be working just fine on my Bold, except I haven't been able to get 3G, I'm only getting EDGE. They initially put me on the wrong internet plan (I couldn't get BBM to work so I went back), the guy changed it for me and said 3G and my BBM should work within a couple hours. My BBM eventually worked, but I'm still only getting EDGE instead of 3G. Any idea why this might be?
    08-05-11 02:49 PM
    You'll never get 3G on TMO with a Rogers phone... different frequencies
    08-05-11 02:55 PM
    How much of a difference is there in extra time in say downloading a typical web page in 2G vs 3G? Is there any other differences e.g. call quality?
    08-05-11 04:30 PM
    Partially correct. T-Mobile USA transmits on 1700/2100 for UMTS; the Rogers BB9780 has 2100/1900/850/800 UMTS bands enabled. Theoretically he should receive a 3G signal on the 2100 band, but spotty at best and would require being closer to a transmitting tower since that frequency doesn't carry very far. However, from what I've read, T-Mobile never implemented/upgraded their coverage to include 2100 MHz frequency in many places, so only way to get 3G is via 1700MHz which the Rogers BB 9780 doesn't have.
    So, completely correct then
    08-05-11 04:37 PM
    Differences between 2G/EDGE and 3G are:
    - data rates (2G has low data rate - up to 270Kb/s; 3G high data rate up to 2Mb/s)
    - call quality (clearer on 3G)

Here's a full run-down:
    2G Vs 3G | rushK
    Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but then why in the world would anyone want to use a T-mobile phone on the Roger's network? I realize this is the reverse of what the OP is dealing with.

The reason I'm curious is that I recently picked up a distressed sale 9780 for $100 CAD and it seems to work great for voice and email on the Rogers network. The net is slower than my 9700 on OS6 but I honestly don't see a massive delay in loading of web pages, you-tube etc i.e. unlike OS5. Granted its only been a few days so perhaps this will change as I use it more but for now it seems pretty good.
    08-05-11 05:22 PM
    with your device on T-Mobile you will get 2G (EDGE)
    08-06-11 02:41 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone! Based on that link describing the differences between EDGE/2G and 3G it would make sense that I would want 3G and make the most of my phone, right? For the most part I haven't noticed too much of a difference, but when I stopped at T-Mobile and explained my situation they made it sound like as long as I get it unlocked it should work just fine on their network. Is this anything that someone at T-Mobile can change/fix if I call or stop in their shop? Or am I going to have to shop for a new phone now?
    08-06-11 01:51 PM
    I tried the TM2G and Rogers 3G units in my travels over the last 2 days and sometimes found one or the other with different signal strength. Didn't appear to have a clear winner. I'd call it a tie from this anecdotal test.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-07-11 01:47 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone! Based on that link describing the differences between EDGE/2G and 3G it would make sense that I would want 3G and make the most of my phone, right? For the most part I haven't noticed too much of a difference, but when I stopped at T-Mobile and explained my situation they made it sound like as long as I get it unlocked it should work just fine on their network. Is this anything that someone at T-Mobile can change/fix if I call or stop in their shop? Or am I going to have to shop for a new phone now?
    T-Mobile can't "fix" it and make it woork on 3G. If you want the 3G speeds, yoou will have to start shopping for a new device. Might be able to get out of contract(if you signed up for one) because they told you if unlocked the device would work, and go to(can't believe I'm sayong this) AT&T.

08-07-11 02:36 AM
    "call quality (clearer on 3G)" - no, 3G has nothing to do with voice.
    I don't know, but not according to this link that was posted.

Here's a full run-down:
    http://www.rushk.com/2g-vs-3g/
    08-07-11 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD