Hi there,

I have a 9780 that is telus branded and I unlocked it myself. I want to give it to my sister who DOES NOT have a data plan (only voice+text). After unlocking, I:

Put in her Speakout sim card
    Turned wifi on and connected using the correct security key
    I unchecked 'Mobile network' as I only wanted to test wifi

When I try using the web browser, it gives me an error "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the Problem persists please contact your service provider"

Also, when I check the 'Mobile Network' option and uncheck 'Data Services' I still get the above error.

When I check the 'Mobile Network' option and check 'Data Services', it connects to Rogers and I can use the web browser. My 2 questions are:

1. Is my BB using the Rogers data network, or wifi when I check the 'Data Services' option?
    2. What is going on? How come I cant use wifi, and a voice + text plan without having to enable the mobile network option?

Thanks in advance!
    12-26-11 07:35 PM
    You/she need to have an active BlackBerry Data Plan to access data features, even over WiFi.
    12-26-11 07:40 PM
    You/she need to have an active BlackBerry Data Plan to access data features, even over WiFi.
    Is there anyway around this? I've done a factory reset, but there must be a way to remove this 'feature' where a BB Data Plan sim card?
    12-26-11 07:42 PM
    A BlackBerry device will only work properly when it has the correct Service Books from the Carrier to which its latched-on.

To get Service Books from the Carrier, you have to get a BlackBerry BIS or BES or else it won't work. Once you subscribe to BIS/BES, the appropriate Service Books automatically get into the device from the Carrier.

You are then at a position to shut-off data services from your Carrier and use WiFi. But to get here, minimum is BIS/BES. (without which the service books aint gonna be there!).

Though you've Unlocked the phone (on your own), it should now allow you to use other Carrier's SIM cards. But you still have to get the PIN out of the last Carrier's BlackBerry Server (Telus in your case) without which - your device in spite of being Unlocked won't allow you to setup BIS or BES (as the device would technically think it belongs to the Telus's BlackBerry Server as the PIN is attached to their Server).

Getting that PIN outa the Telus's Server can/may be a BIG problem!

Hope I've answered all your queries.
    Last edited by audio_engr; 12-26-11 at 08:12 PM.
    12-26-11 08:04 PM
    Well said audio_engr ..
    audio_engr likes this.
    12-26-11 08:07 PM
    A BlackBerry device will only work properly when it has the correct Service Books from the Carrier to which its latched-on.

To get Service Books from the Carrier, you have to get a BlackBerry BIS or BES or else it won't work. Once you subscribe to BIS/BES, the appropriate Service Books automatically get into the device from the Carrier.

You are then at a position to shut-off data services from your Carrier and use WiFi. But to get here, minimum is BIS/BES. (without which the service books aint gonna be there!).

Though you've Unlocked the phone (on your own), it should now allow you to use other Carrier's SIM cards. But you still have to get the PIN out of the last Carrier's BlackBerry Server (Telus in your case) without which - your device in spite of being Unlocked won't allow you to setup BIS or BES (as the device would technically think it belongs to the Telus's BlackBerry Server as the PIN is attached to their Server).

Getting that PIN outa the Telus's Server can/may be a BIG problem!

Hope I've answered all your queries.
    Wow, thanks for that! I will call Telus tomorrow to see if I can get the Pin from them. If, by some miracle I do get that pin, how do I 'release' my blackberry from the grasp of telus?
    12-26-11 09:38 PM
    You will need to have Telus close/deactive the BIS account that the pin&IMIE is attached to
    12-27-11 09:17 AM
    you will need to have telus close/deactive the bis account that the pin&imie is attached to
    +1 ....

@ maebach :

Usually Carriers of locked phones are stupendously rigid "to release PIN" by deactivating the user's IMEI/PIN data from their BlackBerry Servers as they'll end up losing ONE BB customer straight away.

However, they technically cannot stop anyone after the expiry of the contract period and full settlement of all dues.
    Last edited by audio_engr; 12-27-11 at 09:43 AM.
    12-27-11 09:39 AM
    +1 ....

@ maebach :

Usually Carriers of locked phones are stupendously rigid "to release PIN" by deactivating the user's IMEI/PIN data from their BlackBerry Servers as they'll end up losing ONE BB customer straight away.

However, they technically cannot stop anyone after the expiry of the contract period and full settlement of all dues.
    I still have 2 years left on my account so I'm nowhere close. So once they delete my pin from their servers, I won't need to get these 'service books' from them and I can use Wifi and a voice/text plan?

EDIT: I called Telus tech support and the CSR had no idea what pin releasing was. He even put me on hold 'to check' how to do it, but no avail. He said I should unlock it and it will work. Weird....
    Last edited by maebach; 12-27-11 at 06:48 PM.
    12-27-11 04:17 PM
    Not pin releasing but have them erase/deactive the BIS account that your pin/imei is tied to. You can always setup a new one if need be,
    12-27-11 11:28 PM
    most of the fellas at these Carrier's are a 'bunch of jokers' with little clue what-is-wat ...

yeah! ERASE all info towards your BIS a/c from their servers ...

That should do ...

If they don't, or just play up, there's a back-door method too ...
    (Let me know and we'll then get that sorted ... )
    12-28-11 02:19 AM
    Not pin releasing but have them erase/deactive the BIS account that your pin/imei is tied to. You can always setup a new one if need be,
    most of the fellas at these Carrier's are a 'bunch of jokers' with little clue what-is-wat ...

yeah! ERASE all info towards your BIS a/c from their servers ...

That should do ...

If they don't, or just play up, there's a back-door method too ...
    (Let me know and we'll then get that sorted ... )
    I called back and talked to another CSR and asked them to erase my BIS account that has my IMEI info. I also rephrased it to say that I need my BIS account deactivated but the CSR did not understand me. He said that I need a BIS account or else my BB won't work. Perhaps I should go to a Telus store? Maybe they know better?
    12-28-11 08:53 PM
    Does anyone know if an unlocked Torch 9810 can access TMobile's 4G network? I'm getting conflicting answers from TMobile staff. Their BB support personnel told me that an unlocked phone (any unlocked BB if I remember correctly) can only access the 2G Tmobile network. However, 2 different retail store personnel told me that the 4G network would be accessible with an unlocked Berry.

Any idea which is true? I'd like to know all the detriments of using an unlocked phone before I purchase one. Also, anyone know how hard it is to get AT&T to deactivate / erase a BIS account for full WiFi access on another network?

Finally, what do the acronyms BIS / BES stand for?

Thanks in advance!
    05-24-12 09:01 PM
    4G will only be supported if the BB is on the same frequency as TMO. Ie. If you have a 9900 from WIND/VIDEOTRON/MOBILICITY and unlock it, you will get 4G on TMO.

As for BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service - included in most carrier plans

BES = BlackBerry Exchange Service - sync's your contacts, work email, calendar with microsoft office.
    m_clapper333 likes this.
    05-24-12 09:59 PM
    4G will only be supported if the BB is on the same frequency as TMO. Ie. If you have a 9900 from WIND/VIDEOTRON/MOBILICITY and unlock it, you will get 4G on TMO.
    Any idea if a Torch 9810 from AT&T will be able to transmit on the TMO frequency if unlocked?
    05-25-12 12:14 AM
    No. Being "unlocked" doesn't have anything to do with the hardware frequencies.
    05-25-12 05:18 AM
    Any idea if a Torch 9810 from AT&T will be able to transmit on the TMO frequency if unlocked?
    Yes, but you most likely won't get 3G.
    05-25-12 10:04 AM
    Interesting. Anyone happen to know what frequencies are employed by AT&T and TMobile for their 3G and 4G networks, respectively?

And finally, is it possible to have a blackberry (the Torch for instance) display what 3G and 4G frequencies it is capable of transceiving on?

Thanks again!
    05-25-12 02:26 PM
    Interesting. Anyone happen to know what frequencies are employed by AT&T and TMobile for their 3G and 4G networks, respectively?
    T-Mobile: 1700 MHz (band IV)
    AT&T: 850/1900 MHz (band V/band II)

4G frequency listed above are for HSPA+, not LTE

And finally, is it possible to have a blackberry (the Torch for instance) display what 3G and 4G frequencies it is capable of transceiving on?
    Options>About Device Versions>look for the line saying '3G Bands'
    m_clapper333 likes this.
    05-25-12 02:43 PM
    Thanks a bunch! It appears that TMobile is moving their HSPA+ network to the PCS band, so perhaps there will soon be more inter-carrier compatibility for unlocked phones. For instance, from wikipedia:

On February 23, 2012, during the Q4 Earnings Call, the future of the T-Mobile 4G upgrade path was laid out. T-Mobile's LTE network will be rolled out on the AWS spectrum, and their HSPA+ network will transition to the PCS band, in order to achieve compatibility with other networks and phones in the USA, T-Mobile plans to begin this transition in early 2013.[32]

And: 1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ 4G 1994 2011 According to reports from users, T-Mobile started to use PCS for UMTS in some areas. Will be expanded during LTE upgrade.[34] UMTS frequency band II

The Torch 9810 are being advertised as accepting HSDPA 850/1900/2100. The 850/1900 appears to be what AT&T employs, and I would assume wherever TMobile transitions its HSPA+ network to the 1900 MHz band, then the unlocked 9810 will be able to use TMobile's network as well as AT&Ts.

Thanks for all the info.
    05-25-12 03:04 PM
    You're welcome. That's why I said you most likely won't get 3G on an AT&T device . I'm aware of TMO's 1900 MHz usage because it's already happening in the SF Bay Area, about 100 miles from me. If it's already nationwide, good to see them utilizing the bandwidth they picked up from the failed merger.
    Last edited by raino; 05-25-12 at 04:33 PM.
    05-25-12 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD