Hi there,
    Query please. I'm very VERY new to unlocking. My hubby and I have BB Bold's 9700.
    We are with Bell carrier in Ontario. We are under a 3 year contract. I want out. I have an active Virgin mobile SIM.

I want to use my bold with Virgin. Can I unlock the phone while I'm still under contract?
    I tried to unlock my Bold last week and can't get it to work. Still trying to determine the cause...in any case, hubby gave me his bold. He got the new 9900. Summary, our phones are with bell under contract. I want to switch SIM card in the Bold to Virgin and unlock. Can this be done?
    Thanks a TON.
    Laura
    08-31-11 09:02 AM
    An unlocked phone will work with any GSM carrier as long as you have an active Blackberry data plan with that carrier. Some carriers will provide you with the unlock code.
    08-31-11 09:04 AM
    but can I unlock while the contract is still active? is what i'm asking i guess...i'm a dolt..sorry
    08-31-11 09:10 AM
    Not familiar with Canadian policy here but as far as I know all it may do is void the warranty on the phone it will not have any effect on the service.
    08-31-11 09:13 AM
    Thanks Andyahs
    I'll give her a whirl
    08-31-11 09:29 AM
    but can I unlock while the contract is still active? is what i'm asking i guess...i'm a dolt..sorry
    I think we got an email from you but yes you can definitely unlock it while still under contract. This hardware is your property and you can do whatever you want with it.
    08-31-11 10:08 AM
    aside from the dubious legal drivel, the contract only stipulates staying with them - i.e. you could drive over the handset for all Bell cares.

Yes it can be unlocked, and yes it can be used with virgin. Just pay someone to get the unlock code for your particular devices; insert any non-bell simcard & the phone pops up a window asking for the unlock code.

Hi there,
    Query please. I'm very VERY new to unlocking. My hubby and I have BB Bold's 9700.
    We are with Bell carrier in Ontario. We are under a 3 year contract. I want out. I have an active Virgin mobile SIM.

I want to use my bold with Virgin. Can I unlock the phone while I'm still under contract?
    I tried to unlock my Bold last week and can't get it to work. Still trying to determine the cause...in any case, hubby gave me his bold. He got the new 9900. Summary, our phones are with bell under contract. I want to switch SIM card in the Bold to Virgin and unlock. Can this be done?
    Thanks a TON.
    Laura
    Last edited by schmoozer; 09-02-11 at 01:54 AM.
    09-02-11 12:38 AM
    Yup, it can be unlocked without worrying about it affecting your existing bell service and contract. Mine is with telus and it's been unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 04:14 AM
    I also have a contract with Bell and will be in another country for the next six months and have suspended my contract with Bell and have a pre-paid sim in a cheap phone here...

I really miss my BB and would like to use it for the next 6 months, so my question is, if I unlock my BB, will it void the insurance that I'm still paying $7 a month to bell for? How will they ever know it has been unlocked?

And further, can it be locked back after? Would that help?
    09-05-11 02:24 PM
    please see your other thread you have started.
    melanietrini likes this.
    09-05-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD