Anyone else find the unlock button at the top relatively annoying to use?
    I loved my 9300 Curve because it was flat and you could reach it very easily from the side/top area to unlock the phone.

With the 9790, you have to use your thumb and and push hard to unlock it while the bottom of the phone rests on your pinky finger or while it's cupped in the palm of your hand.
    I think it's a terrible design and I just wonder how many times and how much pressure can the frame take of this kind of constant force.

What RIM should have done was design a mini version of the 9900, that would have been a MUCH better design.

Is there any other way to unlock the phone?
    08-16-12 07:16 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...button-722531/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-710478/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...button-685629/

You could set a password
    08-16-12 07:32 PM
    You could try to use a different finger
    08-17-12 12:22 AM
    Anyone else find the unlock button at the top relatively annoying to use?
    I loved my 9300 Curve because it was flat and you could reach it very easily from the side/top area to unlock the phone.

With the 9790, you have to use your thumb and and push hard to unlock it while the bottom of the phone rests on your pinky finger or while it's cupped in the palm of your hand.
    I think it's a terrible design and I just wonder how many times and how much pressure can the frame take of this kind of constant force.

What RIM should have done was design a mini version of the 9900, that would have been a MUCH better design.

You could also use the software called slide2open from jared co to lock and unlock, it has a free version which has advertisements and a pro version and to avoid accidently pressing of buttons it locks the phone while you are on a call.
    It is available on Appworld !
    08-17-12 01:58 AM
    Kinda sad that RIM really screwed this design up.

Then people wonder why RIM is doing so poorly.
    Really too bad, since I'm Canadian and it'd be nice to see them do well.

They need to really think about the end user. But thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe they could do a patch to unlock by pressing a keyboard button?
    Like you do with the A key to lock it, why not a key to unlock it...???
    08-17-12 06:18 AM
    On my 9900, I lock it by long-pressing "A" key. To unlock, long-press "end" key until you see the screen asking if you want to turn it off. Instead of pressing trackpad, press "escape" key and it's unlocked. It takes a second or so but no big deal.
    I do not know if this works on 9790. Lock button is always a PITA (even on 9900) and hope there is a shortcut key for unlock.
    08-17-12 01:49 PM
    You could use the convenience key for password lock, and use that key. Its more comfortable. That's what I do, and no complains.
    maxx71 likes this.
    08-17-12 02:01 PM
    I like the button as it is.
    It gives you that "click", that you know that you pushed the button.

On my 9900 I also used a skincase and it was a pain to push that little button on the top.
    Had to press it really hard.
    Now with that - no problem.

But it's a thing of personal preference.

But I have to say, that I miss the mutebutton on top.

I loved that on my trusty, old 8900.
    Now, I have to take it out of my pocket, when I want to bring it to silence.
    08-18-12 03:43 PM
    On my 9900, I lock it by long-pressing "A" key. To unlock, long-press "end" key until you see the screen asking if you want to turn it off. Instead of pressing trackpad, press "escape" key and it's unlocked. It takes a second or so but no big deal.
    I do not know if this works on 9790. Lock button is always a PITA (even on 9900) and hope there is a shortcut key for unlock.

This works on the 9790 too & thanks for the tip. Highly useful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    08-20-12 10:21 PM
    I just got my 9790, and I was kinda disappointed with the unlock button too!! Thanks for the suggestion! It did work well.. I did download a screen lock app, but sometimes I forget and use the 'long press A' way, and my app wont work then unless I use the top button first.. Now, its way easier!..
    08-23-12 10:57 AM
    So its 20 days since I bought my 9790 and the lock button got a crack. So I was fiddling around for a good solution to avoid using that button.
    Here's what I found out & am using currently..

Enable password lock for the phone. Go to Home Screen Preferences and set Launch by typing to "Application Shortcuts".

Next time you wanna lock your phone, just click the "K" on your keyboard while on home screen.
    To unlock, simply start typing your password

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790
    08-30-12 03:13 PM
    ...ORRR you could press the "A" button and don't have to program anything at all.

The issue for me is UNLOCKING, not locking.

I returned my phone, may get it again since it's free without contract now, but for now anyways, I'm using my Curve 3G for daytime (it's light and small) and use my Galaxy S2 during my leisure time (home, walks with my dog), since it has a MUCH better camera and video recorder on it.
    09-02-12 11:41 AM
    Hey all,
    I just found an even better option download "myTimes" app from app world & in options, set it to screensaver at 20secs or desired timeout & check mark the lock keys in screensaver. the phone will automatically be locked and to unlock you have to type "alt" & "space"

09-12-12 02:37 PM
    I always password my phones anyway. to protect my data and also to stop me turning gay on Facebook every time I leave my phone near my "mates" for more than 10 seconds...

I just use the convenience key as a password lock, doesn't really solve the issue but it gets around it at least, the button on top is pretty useless, especially with a case over it
    09-12-12 04:43 PM
    The lock button on this device gets cracked. I have a couple of friends using it with a crack and me too. The device would have been an amazing one if it didn't had a few issues like battery, lock button crack etc.
    09-20-12 02:54 AM
    Hey all,
    I just found an even better option download "myTimes" app from app world & in options, set it to screensaver at 20secs or desired timeout & check mark the lock keys in screensaver. the phone will automatically be locked and to unlock you have to type "alt" & "space"

Works well. Can even unlock by pressing BBM button twice.
    10-07-12 11:14 PM
    Thank you so much, this really helped me after i previously dropped my phone and the unlock button became dodgy!
    04-02-13 07:13 PM
    i love the unlock button on this. I've had the pearl 3g, curve 3g and the wife has torch 9810, and i prefer this one over all of them. I got no complaints with this phone at all.
    04-10-13 09:58 PM

This works on the 9790 too & thanks for the tip. Highly useful.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    End key u mean the power ON/OFF button right ... ?
    that dose not wrk with me, it shut downs the device.
    Please help me out, Mine got a crack on the unlock button.
    08-08-13 04:47 AM
    a solution to this is get an iphone
    11-12-13 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD