whats the point of unbranding a phone? and is it hard to do? and if done can i load another companies software on it ?
    for example if i send the phone to colombia and they use movistar over there can they load all the movistar sh!t on it?
    06-15-09 12:27 AM
    06-15-09 12:33 AM
    yea umm that didnt help!
    06-15-09 12:40 AM
    if you just unlock a BB phone, you can use it on another network without the need to unbrand. startup logos will still be in place however. considering you asked this, the way you did, i wouldnt even recommend you even try unbranding. just unlock the device, and feel free to use it on Movistar. any unwanted icons/folders/leftover carrier related things, you can just put into a folder and hide on your phones homescreen.

but to answer the question, unbranding or re-branding with the proper VSM file, will allow the phone to be re-branded as if it were a Movistar phone to begin with. once the phone is powered up on the Movistar network and registered, all necessary service books will be pushed to the phone needed to make it work without the need for unbranding. as Chris posted, please search and read the unbranding thread for more details.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 06-15-09 at 12:47 AM.
    06-15-09 12:44 AM
    yea umm that didnt help!
    How on earth did the thread that Tronyx posted not help. it has all the info you could possibly need.
    06-15-09 12:48 AM
    yea umm that didnt help!
    What? Are you serious? Well then you didn't read the article because your first question was:

whats the point of unbranding a phone?
    And my article covers that in depth.

Then you asked:

and if done can i load another companies software on it?
    Any bit of just opening your eyes would have answered your question. Especially since there is not just one, but TWO sticky topics at the top of this particular forum section that talks about the latest OSes for the Bold and how to install them.

Next thing was:

for example if i send the phone to colombia and they use movistar over there can they load all the movistar sh!t on it?
    Why in the world would you be wanting to ship your phone to some random person in another country, especially one like Columbia and let them do something to your nice, expensive Blackberry? I don't even let my own Mother touch my Bold, let alone some stranger in a foreign country.

Chris
    06-15-09 12:55 AM
    why do you have to be so hard on him and waste your own time?
    06-15-09 01:04 AM
    why do you have to be so hard on him and waste your own time?
    It wasn't a waste of my time. I linked him to a topic that would answer all of his questions and he came back with:

yea umm that didnt help!
    And then in the actual topic that I linked him, he felt it was necessary to post this:

this did not help me in any way shape or form!
    That was unnecessary and made it seem like the time that I put into writing the article was a waste and that the post was completely unhelpful.

Chris
    06-15-09 01:12 AM
    why do we bother chris?
    06-15-09 01:26 AM
    Question asked, definitive answers provided.
    The back and forth isn't necessary.
    06-15-09 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD