Hi guys, just got my 9790 few hours ago and ever since I took it out of the box, the lock button on top has never worked ... am I doing something wrong or is it a defective unit ?
    01-05-12 08:48 PM
    I think it's a defective unit, the lock button work by default, AFAIK no setting to enable/disable this button
    01-05-12 09:21 PM
    Just be aware that the lock button only locks and unlocks the keypad. It does not envoke the password lock.
    01-05-12 09:25 PM
    my buttons dont lock and my screen dosnt go black when i press it
    01-05-12 09:40 PM
    Get a replacement device, then.
    01-05-12 10:00 PM
    well this device is only 5 hours old and this sucks !
    01-05-12 10:15 PM
    when ever you buy a new device check it there and then at the store for build quality issues, loose trackpad etc.
    Get your phone replaced and when you get a new one check it carefully for the things i have stated above.
    Blackberries are an excellent piece of technology only problem is that they do have build quality issues
    01-06-12 05:41 AM
    I would have checked it but the lady told me they check the phones before selling them at the store. Apparently mine was all in order but I am guessing she didnt try the lock function.
    01-06-12 08:47 AM
    Hi guys, just got my 9790 few hours ago and ever since I took it out of the box, the lock button on top has never worked ... am I doing something wrong or is it a defective unit ?
    Unlike 9900, that button for 9790 is hidden beneath the plastic body and very hard to press.
    I am only assuming that you are hearing clicking sound whenever you pressed it.
    9790asad likes this.
    01-06-12 11:15 AM
    Unlike 9900, that button for 9790 is hidden beneath the plastic body and very hard to press.
    I am only assuming that you are hearing clicking sound whenever you pressed it.
    haha no way man ! I did press harder and its working ... didnt think you had to press that hard on it ! Thanks !
    01-06-12 03:59 PM
    haha no way man ! I did press harder and its working ... didnt think you had to press that hard on it ! Thanks !
    LOL Thought so of course :-).
    But mine is rather hard to press. So hard that I am also squeezing the body from both sides to steady it before I could click it with thumb or pointing finger (when doing so in one-hand).
    I usually press "k" to lock it and use the lock button only for unlocking.
    But I understand your situation is totally different. Could be some kind of software problem.
    I wish this lock button is a bit softer.
    01-06-12 04:26 PM
    I dont know man yours seems kindda odd, .. my friend just got the 9790 today, .. and its very easy to press the upper lock / unlock button with one hand, ... (not very hard to click, .. just normal pressure does the job) and the lock function works when the click is heard

FWIW, the unit is made in Taiwan, and the manufacturing date is 12-2011 (cant remember the exact day though)
    01-08-12 01:30 PM
    Hmm, you should replace it probably. Its a defectove unit. I dont think a software update will save that
    01-09-12 12:29 AM
    Was facing the same issue ! pressed it harder and its working !
    04-30-13 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD