They say BB development is on a two-year cycle. So these features they omitted, according to you, may have not been available until late in the development cycle. They can't keep changing parts or else it will never make it to market. Some people are complaining it doesn't have Wireless N, but that chipset was only released around the end of last year. Do you want them to quickly rush things to get it out? That's what some people blame the Tour's problems on...
    Well then that's a problem in their planning process. It's funny because this exact issue was discussed in the CB podcast released yesterday. RIM plans these devices so far in advance that they are unable to predict what the smartphone market is going to be like at release. Unfortunately for them, everyone else is ahead in both hardware and software. I guess RIM expects us all to stick around and wait for them...
    04-29-10 11:40 AM
    not to mention that having wireless n on a BB is like sticking a hyundai engine in a ferrari

They say BB development is on a two-year cycle. So these features they omitted, according to you, may have not been available until late in the development cycle. They can't keep changing parts or else it will never make it to market. Some people are complaining it doesn't have Wireless N, but that chipset was only released around the end of last year. Do you want them to quickly rush things to get it out? That's what some people blame the Tour's problems on...
    04-29-10 01:15 PM
    *snip* There is no need to have people here crying about this phone not having this or that. It isn't going to change anything and all it is going to do is cause fighting. Do you think people that are interested in this phone want to come to this forum for this phone to read about your opinion on why you don't like this phone or why you are disappointed?
    *snip*
    As a general rule I don't participate in forum feces throwing contests like this but in this case I will because you mentioned something that I find interesting.

Back in early Jan I found myself in the position of needing a smartphone for work. I was looking at the Blackberry line because I was connecting to Exchange and liked BES. I saw that the Tour 2 was looking like it was going to be released soon and so I started to monitor the forum for information about it. Having never owned a smartphone or Blackberry before I was VERY interested in dissenting points of view assuming they had some basis in reality. Having a forum only full of fanboys that just shout "me too" at everything or parrot "facts" they heard from other people over and over is pointless in my opinion.

BTW, after it became evident that the Tour 2 wasn't coming out in Feb I bought a Curve 8530 and have been very satisfied with it.

Also, a few other things that are directed specifically at the fanboys in here... I keep hearing a bunch of people in here yap on and on about how the 9650 doesn't have a leather battery door...you do realize that other than the BB fanboys, nobody cares -- if I had to guess I'd say 8 out of 10 phones will be in a holster or case of some sort - so who is going to see it? 9650 is a world phone...oh yay - again, you do realize that probably 50% of the total units sold will never even leave the state they are purchased in let alone the country right? If you are looking for bragging rights fine, but stop acting like the majority of the "general public" gives crap about stuff like this.

Anyway, I'm done, I doubt I will come back to read any responses since I don't frequent this forum - so respond/don't respond I've said all I have to say.
    04-29-10 01:15 PM
    Also, a few other things that are directed specifically at the fanboys in here... I keep hearing a bunch of people in here yap on and on about how the 9650 doesn't have a leather battery door...you do realize that other than the BB fanboys, nobody cares -- if I had to guess I'd say 8 out of 10 phones will be in a holster or case of some sort - so who is going to see it?
    I think that most people that complain about the battery don't care about the faux leather, but instead would have preferred the design of the 9700 cover, which is much sturdier. The battery cover of the Tour was poorly designed and the cover itself is flimsy as ****, and not suited for a high-end device.
    04-29-10 01:23 PM
    As a general rule I don't participate in forum feces throwing contests like this but in this case I will because you mentioned something that I find interesting.

Back in early Jan I found myself in the position of needing a smartphone for work. I was looking at the Blackberry line because I was connecting to Exchange and liked BES. I saw that the Tour 2 was looking like it was going to be released soon and so I started to monitor the forum for information about it. Having never owned a smartphone or Blackberry before I was VERY interested in dissenting points of view assuming they had some basis in reality. Having a forum only full of fanboys that just shout "me too" at everything or parrot "facts" they heard from other people over and over is pointless in my opinion.

BTW, after it became evident that the Tour 2 wasn't coming out in Feb I bought a Curve 8530 and have been very satisfied with it.

Also, a few other things that are directed specifically at the fanboys in here... I keep hearing a bunch of people in here yap on and on about how the 9650 doesn't have a leather battery door...you do realize that other than the BB fanboys, nobody cares -- if I had to guess I'd say 8 out of 10 phones will be in a holster or case of some sort - so who is going to see it? 9650 is a world phone...oh yay - again, you do realize that probably 50% of the total units sold will never even leave the state they are purchased in let alone the country right? If you are looking for bragging rights fine, but stop acting like the majority of the "general public" gives crap about stuff like this.

Anyway, I'm done, I doubt I will come back to read any responses since I don't frequent this forum - so respond/don't respond I've said all I have to say.
    i like this guy.
    04-29-10 01:28 PM
    I think that most people that complain about the battery don't care about the faux leather, but instead would have preferred the design of the 9700 cover, which is much sturdier. The battery cover of the Tour was poorly designed and the cover itself is flimsy as ****, and not suited for a high-end device.
    Excellent point, and I can appreciate that and consider it useful discussion. In my post I was referring to the people in a few of the other threads here at various times who were simply complaining that the cover wasn't faux leather like the other Bold models and thus evidently not as good somehow or perhaps didn't feel as soft and supple when they cradled it with them in bed every night. Quality and fit are very important however whether it is made from faux leather or space aged polymers is not something I consider a big deal as long as it works well.
    04-29-10 01:36 PM
    Excellent point, and I can appreciate that and consider it useful discussion. In my post I was referring to the people in a few of the other threads here at various times who were simply complaining that the cover wasn't faux leather like the other Bold models and thus evidently not as good somehow or perhaps didn't feel as soft and supple when they cradled it with them in bed every night. Quality and fit are very important however whether it is made from faux leather or space aged polymers is not something I consider a big deal as long as it works well.

I see your point and now that your have clarified it I agree with you completely. Interestingly enough battery door design has long been an issue with Blackberry devices. You would think that after 10+ years RIM would be able to develop a battery door that was reliable and didn't pop off when you drop the phone. I'm sure people here will comment "you shouldn't be dropping your phone in the first place" but those people are out of touch with reality. 9700/85XX owners can comment on the new battery door design as to whether or not it is sturdy and secure. But myself having had a varying degree of experience with 8 or so Blackberry models I can confidently say they haven't gotten it right up to this point (9630).
    04-29-10 01:43 PM

i like this guy.
    Yeah, too bad he ain't comin' back, it was a good post.
    04-29-10 01:43 PM
    Yeah, too bad he ain't comin' back, it was a good post.
    but he likable man did return... check 3-4 posts up... have no fear the guy u like is here
    04-29-10 01:48 PM
    Wow, this thread really went to sh!t...didn't it?
    04-29-10 01:59 PM
    it sure did.. i think it started with some dude liking some other dude.. then it just turned into one big orgy fest
    04-29-10 02:08 PM
    it sure did.. i think it started with some dude liking some other dude.. then it just turned into one big orgy fest
    Hahahahaha!
    04-29-10 02:19 PM
    but he likable man did return... check 3-4 posts up... have no fear the guy u like is here
    just said I liked his comments (esp for a n00b), not necessarily the guy

And with a thread title like "...why are so many so angry?" you expected something else?
    04-29-10 02:26 PM
    I see your point and now that your have clarified it I agree with you completely. Interestingly enough battery door design has long been an issue with Blackberry devices. You would think that after 10+ years RIM would be able to develop a battery door that was reliable and didn't pop off when you drop the phone. I'm sure people here will comment "you shouldn't be dropping your phone in the first place" but those people are out of touch with reality. 9700/85XX owners can comment on the new battery door design as to whether or not it is sturdy and secure. But myself having had a varying degree of experience with 8 or so Blackberry models I can confidently say they haven't gotten it right up to this point (9630).
    Actually, the question I have is whether the battery door popping off when dropped is something they specifically engineered it to do or not. As stupid as it sounds, I know some things (not necessarily phones) are manufactured to specifically break away under certain circumstances so as to not break or cause more damage to other components. While that may or may not be whats happening here - and whether its misguided or not - I find it hard to believe that if this was an unintended engineering flaw in so many models over such a long period of time that RIM wouldn't have invented a better mousetrap by now. Now a loose battery door like the Tour 1 had was obviously a quality control issue, but this sounds to me like it is almost an intended behavior.

And yeah, I know, another post, but hey, at least its productive...
    04-29-10 02:30 PM
    Actually, the question I have is whether the battery door popping off when dropped is something they specifically engineered it to do or not. As stupid as it sounds, I know some things (not necessarily phones) are manufactured to specifically break away under certain circumstances so as to not break or cause more damage to other components. While that may or may not be whats happening here - and whether its misguided or not - I find it hard to believe that if this was an unintended engineering flaw in so many models over such a long period of time that RIM wouldn't have invented a better mousetrap by now. Now a loose battery door like the Tour 1 had was obviously a quality control issue, but this sounds to me like it is almost an intended behavior.

And yeah, I know, another post, but hey, at least its productive...
    OK, now you are losing all credibility and you came back when you said that you would not.
    04-29-10 02:36 PM
    The door is supposed to come loose so it can deploy the parachute, but it never seems to open in time... They need to replace it with an airbag model...
    04-29-10 02:46 PM
    OK, now you are losing all credibility and you came back when you said that you would not.
    Sorry. I expected to be labeled as flamebait/troll after the first post and because that didn't happen I will have to keep posting until it does dammit!
    04-29-10 02:54 PM
    Sorry. I expected to be labeled as flamebait/troll after the first post and because that didn't happen I will have to keep posting until it does dammit!
    LOL, okay, understood, but you will have to quit being funny to get me to flame you that easily.

Whoops, hit the reply button before I ended with, NOW get out of here you low-life piece of @#$%^&* flambait troll.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 04-29-10 at 03:00 PM.
    04-29-10 02:58 PM
    LOL, okay, understood, but you will have to quit being funny to get me to flame you that easily.

Whoops, hit the reply button before I ended with, NOW get out of here you low-life piece of @#$%^&* flambait troll.
    Look dude, if your flirting with me in hopes of getting invited to the rumored big orgy fest mentioned above, it ain't gonna work. Just saying...
    04-29-10 03:02 PM
    Waited so long for this bb that is nothing more then a tour with trackpad, wifi and more memory and we still don't know when verizon is going to release it. I think RIM is way behind on everything. Verizon is no better.
    04-29-10 03:05 PM
    Waited so long for this bb that is nothing more then a tour with trackpad, wifi and more memory and we still don't know when verizon is going to release it. I think RIM is way behind on everything. Verizon is no better.
    man way to kill the orgy love fest... thx for the news flash and a truly orginal negative nancy comment... way to kill teh fun bobby buzzkill
    04-29-10 03:10 PM
    Waited so long for this bb

You mean like an entire several months? You've got some serious intestinal fortitude to be able to hold out for so long...
    04-29-10 03:24 PM
    man way to kill the orgy love fest... thx for the news flash and a truly orginal negative nancy comment... way to kill teh fun bobby buzzkill
    Just making my comment on why I' am mad. Sorry I interupted your little games, I thought this was a blackberry forum
    04-29-10 03:35 PM
    And with a thread title like "...why are so many so angry?" you expected something else?
    Yeah...I expected to see some people's point of view. I didn't expect the sensitive fanboys take it so personally.
    04-29-10 04:27 PM
    Hey I think it's gone pretty well. Some people just don't want to hear the other side...
    04-29-10 04:33 PM
160 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD