I am still fairly new to the tech side of blackberry's so please be kind.

I have a BB Bold 9700 on T-Mobile. OS 5.0.0.330

The issue, as the title says is that the UMA keeps dropping, when it drops it disconnects then when it reconnects it gives error W004, something about not being able to contact the DNS server.

Steps I have tired to fix the issue. Upgraded incrementally and out right though all the official T-Mobile OS versions .330 .568 .714 (might be a little off on ver numbers). Tried 2 different router/modem setups, tried enabling and disabling wireless security measures, set router settings to open all ports/traffic it it first (port forwarding ect) rebooted all equipment several times. Connected to the internet at remote locations (local coffee shop ect)...

I have tried all the things I could fine on fixing this issue with no luck. Any pointers?
    07-04-10 06:15 PM
    so you have upgraded the OS to the latest version?

so even with all security settings off of the router, it wasnt keeping a solid connection?

by chance are there any firewalls on the router or modems you can edit? like the software? if there is a firewall installed on the modem/router, try to de-activate it and try again... firewalls play havoc on BBs and UMA
    07-04-10 06:18 PM
    Router settings have been checked and set to allow the phone unrestricted access to the net. This includes disabling all firewalls and ect...
    07-05-10 12:50 PM
    Might be a T-Mobile issue....I know sometimes when I lose wifi/UMA that it at times is a T-Mobile connection issue...might be something to check into.

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 02:42 PM
    I was having UMA issues until I upgraded to .714 (T-mobile) and now the UMA is strong and the call quality (which was terrible) is crystal clear. You post said you had tried .714 so you may want to return it.
    07-05-10 04:49 PM
    I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and a new phone is on the way.

The following steps where taken before they agreed to replace the phone since the only conclusion was its a hardware issue with the handset.

1st assure all settings on the phone and router
    2nd re-register with the network
    3rd reboot
    4th resend config settings from there side
    5th try multi access points
    6th reinstall the OS

I did all 6 steps about 3 times and always with the same result. The phone will connect via UMA then drop off in about 2 to 5 min. Once it drops I would have to either delete the wireless profiles/reset all of the wifi settings and re-add or do a battery pull. Once I did one of those two things I could get UMA/Wifi to connect for 2 to 5min and then repeat. It would always end up back with error W004 - Which is a DNS issue when there really is none.

From the reading I did while trying to trouble shoot the issue it seems there has been issues with BB's doing this same thing with no real solution other then new hardware.
    07-05-10 06:31 PM
    I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and a new phone is on the way.

The following steps where taken before they agreed to replace the phone since the only conclusion was its a hardware issue with the handset.

1st assure all settings on the phone and router
    2nd re-register with the network
    3rd reboot
    4th resend config settings from there side
    5th try multi access points
    6th reinstall the OS

I did all 6 steps about 3 times and always with the same result. The phone will connect via UMA then drop off in about 2 to 5 min. Once it drops I would have to either delete the wireless profiles/reset all of the wifi settings and re-add or do a battery pull. Once I did one of those two things I could get UMA/Wifi to connect for 2 to 5min and then repeat. It would always end up back with error W004 - Which is a DNS issue when there really is none.

From the reading I did while trying to trouble shoot the issue it seems there has been issues with BB's doing this same thing with no real solution other then new hardware.
    That whole last paragraph is nonsense. It's not the phone or RIM, it's the end user. I have had three [3] Blackberries with Wi-Fi (8320, 8900 and 9700), not to mention an iPhone, and iPod touch and 2 Android phones, and all worked flawlessly on 3 different Linksys routers. It's the router settings and not the Berry. People are just lazy and don't wanna search for answers.

Check out the UMA setup guide in my sig for all the help.
    07-05-10 10:24 PM
    I never have UMA issues on routers that my BB is properly logged into. When I connect to open wireless connections I don't always get UMA even if I get white wifi.
    07-06-10 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD