I read that the 8900 has UMA, but the Bold doesn't? I quickly scanned online to find out what UMA is, but figured I asked the pro's here In layman's terms, what is it, and what does it give me? Why wouldn't the Bold, the flagship device, not have this?

Thanks in advance!
    05-24-09 03:02 AM
    UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access and it basically allows you to make free calls over WiFi.

UMA is offered by T-Mobile and not AT&T and IIRC the 8900 came out after the Bold so those two things could have something to do with the Bold not having it.
    05-24-09 03:16 AM
    Not free, but unlimited.

It's not offered on the Bold as the device was requested/demanded by AT&T who doesn't offer this. T-mobile offers it and hence why it was given to them for the 8900.
    05-24-09 03:21 AM
    Does the BOLD have the inner workings to support UMA?
    05-28-09 07:17 PM
    I don't think so. I'm pretty sure its in the hardware if I'm not mistaken.
    05-28-09 08:27 PM
    It's not offered on the Bold as the device was requested/demanded by AT&T who doesn't offer this.
    I don't quite think that this statement is 100% accurate, it is made to sound like AT&T was the deciding factor behind the Bold's making/specifications.

Back to the discussion: IMO, it's like asking "Why doesn't the 8900 have 3G?"

It's a fact, the Bold has 3G, the Javelin has UMA. Pick which you like best. I still choose the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 08:47 PM
    any recent developments on this?

wouldn't mind getting UMA working on rogers or fido bold!!
    06-04-09 11:07 AM
    I don't think so. I'm pretty sure its in the hardware if I'm not mistaken.
    UMA is not a hardware option, its a connectivity setting via wifi and rogers bold supports UMA if I'm not mistaken.

06-04-09 11:20 AM
    has anyone got this to work on a BOLD though?
    06-04-09 12:00 PM
    Is there any way that the bold can be reconfigured to have UMA?
    06-04-09 01:08 PM
    I read somewhere on here that UMA is carrier specific. O2, Rogers, and I think Vodafone have UMA for the Bold, I'm not sure tho if it can be configured for ATT. I wonder If anyone that unlocked a bold for T-mo got it to work at all or if the bold even has the sprites for the UMA icon.

06-04-09 02:13 PM
    From what I know of, the Rogers Bold is UMA capable, just needs the software update to unlock the features to access the UMA codes
    06-04-09 02:25 PM
    unfortunately the BOLD is not officially recongnized by ROGERS to be UMA compliant;

has anyone been able to unlock their non-rogers UMA phone and got it working on rogers?

OR been able alter and use a BOLD on rogers?

??
    06-04-09 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD