Hi all, (hopefully this is in the right section)

Im new to the site (although ive visited a few times before) and also new to Blackberry.
    Earlier this year I had a go with a friends BB Curve and started having a look at devices, saw the Bold and decided to wait for it to be released on T-mobile (UK). Finally a release came but not for T-mobile.

As you all know its still not been released and everytime I phone up they say its still 'coming soon'. Today I phoned up and the operator said its probably going to be released at the beginning of November.

Ive decided to go with O2 instead as my t-mobile contract is ending soon and my mum still owes me a 21st birthday present (she was going to get the bold on her upgrade for me). Im going to get an upgrade on her phone, sell it and use the money to pay for the phone as O2 arent doing it for free on contracts lower than �75.

So... I wanted some advice on what I need to get, tarriff wise so I can get emails, browse the net etc.
    O2 do bolt ons etc but ive read in other posts that you need blacberry email and im a bit confused now

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for going on for so long!

Thanks!
    10-01-08 01:08 PM
    Hi all, (hopefully this is in the right section)

So... I wanted some advice on what I need to get, tarriff wise so I can get emails, browse the net etc.
    O2 do bolt ons etc but ive read in other posts that you need blacberry email and im a bit confused now

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for going on for so long!

Thanks!
    Well I am sure you will get lots of feedback.

I have been on Blackberry Unlimited with O2 for a while. I picked O2 because of the where I live with the reception.

I personally think that �10 a month for the Blackberry Unlimted is ok.

This will do all your email, browsing, and plenty of apps use the BIS connection ... Viigo, Yweather, Google Maps etc so that wont run up any mobile connection charges.

You will need to pick your own voice plan tariff and I suggest you look at the O2 online shop for that.

BlackBerry from O2 - Home

hope that helps

mark
    10-01-08 01:34 PM
    Thanks Mark.

Thats what I was wondering about because I chose the Online 35 plan and I could either get a free normal bolt-on (200 mins or unlimted texts etc) or free blackberry unlimited. So this includes the blackberry email or is that just email like hotmail or whatever? Does that mean I wont be charged to browse the net etc?

Sorry for going on but I just want to make sure Ive got all the facts before rushing into it and ending up running a huge bill lol.
    10-01-08 01:48 PM
    Hi Lucy, welcome to CB

The Online 35 Tariff consists of 600 mins and 1000 texts. You could pick a free bolt on but if you bypass that step and go to step 3 you can add the free Blackberry Bolt on and there is a promotional offer of free o2 to o2 calls (this may be cancelled out if you select the Blackberry bolt on but I don't think so as it is listed as an offer)

The Blackbery Bolt on includes unlimited email and also unlimited yahoo messenger plus data use, browsing, using applications etc.
    10-01-08 02:42 PM
    Hi Lucy, and welcome to CB!

If you are a new prospective Bold user you have definately come to the right place!

I actually faced the same decision as you recently and have been waiting for O2 to release the Bold for quite some time now!

As you say with the �35 per month tariff you then get the Blackberry Unlimited Bolt-On for free, and in my case they included the unlimited O2 to O2 calls as well!

The call allowance is for 600 minutes plus 1000 texts, and the Bold itself will then cost you �99.99 with free next day courier (DHL) delivery.

The advantage of the BlackBerry Unlimited bolt-on is that it include all data access, such as web browsing, GPS navigation, wi-fi access, and of course email. Although they give you a [email protected] email address you can also add in any other ones you choose... up to 10 I believe, which are sent straight to your device.

So as you say, there is then no chance of you running up a huge bill as virtually everything is included in your �35 per month payment... unless of course you try and use it abroad, which I wouldn't recommend without looking into the roaming charges very carefully first.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask about anything you are not too sure of... you will find everyone on here very helpful... it is a really great site!
    Last edited by Montala; 10-01-08 at 02:47 PM.
    10-01-08 02:42 PM
    I've got a Bold on Vodafone Business and I reckon i got a great deal.
    600 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited internet, and insurance, all for �35.00 a month! That's on Vodafone Business which means your business needs to be VAT registered so you are not charged VAT.
    �35 a month seems like a pretty good deal for me!

Oh....and the Bold was also free
    10-01-08 02:43 PM
    Great minds Hazy!!
    10-01-08 02:44 PM
    The �35 tariff also includes the free international travel service which gives better rates when abroad Data use in the EU under this is �3 per mb and �6 outside the EU. Call are cheaper too and texting uses 4 texts for every 1 text you send receiving texts is free but you will be charged if you go over your text limit, in your case 1000.

Forgot to mention the �99 charge, thanks Montala.
    10-01-08 02:46 PM
    I'd say Vodafone UK do the best deal:

for �34 a month the phone is free, plus:

700 anytime mins
    250 inclusive texts
    Includes unlimited Mobile Internet and Email
    Unlimited Landline Calls

I got mine free on my upgrade.

Great service provider.

http://www.vodafonebusinessshop.co.u...ntractType=183
    10-01-08 02:47 PM
    Got mine on Orange....

I'm on Dolphin 40, 750 mins, unlimited texts, + unlimited email + net for �2.50 extra a month

Best of all phone was free.
    10-01-08 02:54 PM
    It is all going to boil down to who your preferred network is and whether or not you would be happy to pay �99 or would rather get the device free.
    10-01-08 03:01 PM
    I paid a fat amount for my phone because I couldnt wait for t mobile to release the Bold. I did get it on Orange but Orange network didnt work at work or at home for me. My t mobile contract was ready for upgrade, so for my loyalty, t-mobile reduced my monthly rental from �35 to �15 and with that I get 100 texts, 100 mins and unlimited internet/email. Texts and calls are small yes, but that is honestly enough for me. Anyhow, I mostly send PIN messages so am covered! Good luck with your choice and welcome to the CrackBerry house!
    10-01-08 03:18 PM
    Thanks for the welcome and info!

I dont actually mind the �99 charge, mainly because as I said, my mum is giving me her free upgrade which im going to sell so that'll cover the cost of the phone.

As far as the 600 mins and 1000 texts thats more than enough for me as I mostly email anyway. Also, I dont have any friends on o2 and the only people I know with a landline is me and my grandparents lol.

I will still have my t-mobile line. I've just checked when I can cancel it and it wont be until March 2009 so Im not very happy as i'll have to pay two line rentals but I may just try and get someone else to take over the line for me lol.

Can I also ask what PIN messages are? Is that the free blackberry msging thing I saw my friend using? I must sound like such a newbie

Another embarrassing question, can you access facebook?
    10-02-08 03:55 AM
    I was with orange but went with vodafone, i got a free bold, 1500 minutes, unlimited text, data and insurance for �40 a month. My friend also went with vodafone and he got 600 minutes, unlimited data and text and free insurance for �35.

Good Luck
    10-02-08 04:01 AM
    Each device has its own unique PIN number. With this number you can either send pin messages (similar to texts) to other blackberry users or use bb nessenger. Both methods use data from your alowance so no additional costs.

Yes, you can use facebook too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 04:07 AM
    PIN messages is a unique messaging system just for Blackberry's. Each Blackberry has a unique number consisting of numbers and letters. Once you find out your friends PIN number you set it as a contact, and send messages as usual. These messages use your DATA plan, so if you dont have a data plan you wont be able to do it. Because its data, to me its free! You can make the message as long as you want unlike text messaging which uses pages, and it looks just just like other emails and with the PIN you can also do blackberry messenger which is just like MSN but using your PIN number instead. I find it more useful as it doesnt show up on your phone bill! Yes you can get Facebook and there is a facebook application which comes with the Bold. If its not there, it can be easily downloaded when you access the Facebook website.

I hope that info helped. I'm not very good at explaining things but I try! Pin messages rock!
    10-02-08 04:12 AM
    No you've explained it perfectly!

Thank you all so much, as I said i'm a little new to all of this and I think sometimes its better hearing it from actual people rather than what the retailers tell you.

Ive put my order in with O2 on the 35 tarriff with free Unlimited Blackberry.
    A few months ago I ordered a phone with them which when it arrived, I didnt like so I sent it back. I was a little worried that because I did this they might not give me another phone. Im still waiting to hear back about the credit check (which did not take this long last time). Fingers crossed I get it though!
    10-02-08 08:50 AM
    Hope you get your Bold Lucy. O2 would have been my choice too, but i'm an impatient person!
    10-02-08 09:26 AM
    Me too! Thats why I went to O2 instead of waiting for T-mobile.

The waiting is killing me!!
    10-02-08 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD