The suspension is a result of the failure of ongoing attempts to bring BlackBerry services in the UAE in line with UAE telecommunications regulations

Abu Dhabi: The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) confirmed on Sunday that BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry E-mail and BlackBerry web-browsing services in the UAE will be suspended from October 11.
    The suspension is a result of the failure of ongoing attempts, dating back to 2007, to bring BlackBerry services in the UAE in line with UAE telecommunications regulations.

oth telecommunications operators – Etisalat and du – were informed of the decision earlier on Sunday. The notification was delivered with an instruction to ensure minimal consumer disruption in the provision of alternative services.
    All BlackBerry services fall within the UAE regulatory framework developed by the TRA since 2007, however because of BlackBerry's technical configuration, some BlackBerry services operate beyond the enforcement these regulations.
    BlackBerry data is immediately exported off-shore, where it is managed by a foreign, commercial organisation. BlackBerry data services are currently the only data services operating in the UAE where this is the case.
    Sunday's decision is based on the fact that, in their current form, certain BlackBerry services allow users to act without any legal accountability, causing judicial, social and national security concerns for the UAE.
    Commenting on the announcement TRA Director General Mohammad Al Ganem said: "With no solution available and in the public interest, in order to affect resolution of this issue, as of October 11, 2010, Blackberry Messenger, Blackberry Email and Blackberry Web-browsing services will be suspended until an acceptable solution can be developed and applied."
    "We informed both Etisalat and du that providing the option of alternative services to ensure the continuity of service from October 11 to its subscribers – both individuals and organisations - is the most important priority," Al Ganem added.
    "The TRA notes that BlackBerry appears to be compliant in similar regulatory environments of other countries, which makes non-compliance in the UAE both disappointing and of great concern," he added.

Courtesy Gulf News
    08-01-10 02:39 AM
    What a joke. The rest of the planet functions just fine. I don't see any exceptions being made for them. They can stick with WM6.5 for all I care.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 03:23 AM
    08-01-10 03:29 AM
    This is not FAIR! I just bought a BB Bold 9700

They should focus on real crimes not BlackBerries!

I called ETISALAT and DU and they were like we don't know what's the alternative going to be....

anyone have any ideas? Will my BB beautiful functions like GPS and BOLT Browser collect dust?
    08-01-10 03:56 AM
    This is rubbish, I was waiting so desperately for the 9800 slider and then this happens...
    08-01-10 04:05 AM
    anyone have any ideas?
    Hmmm. . .can you bring your heartfelt protest before those who are imposing these restrictions? Is this permitted in UAE?
    08-01-10 05:07 AM
    OhmEye.. there is no such word as "protest" known to the UAE residents. Let's hope that RIM and the TRA here work out something before Oct 11...
    Besides the social aspect of Blackberry, all companies here heavily rely on Blackberry for work. I have daily 1-2 hour trips between client sites, and Blackberry is a must to follow up.
    08-01-10 05:15 AM
    there is no such word as "protest" known to the UAE residents.
    Well enough then, a bit of education is in order. The word "protest" exists in english, and your english seems to be quite good. You can find the definition here, and perhaps someone close by can help translate this concept into something that makes sense locally.
    Last edited by Shao128; 08-02-10 at 09:09 AM. Reason: OT and innapropriate
    08-01-10 05:35 AM
    Well enough then, a bit of education is in order. The word "protest" exists in english, and your english seems to be quite good. You can find the definition here, and perhaps someone close by can help translate this concept into something that makes sense locally.

[...]
    OhmEye, I'm quite sute jayjahed fully understands what "protest" means... However, protests/demonstration may not be accepted/tolerated...
    e.g.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/uae...m-users-505221
    08-01-10 06:27 AM
    I share similar sentiments with the people who are calling this baseless and as a matter of fact I spoke to a representative from Etisalat and he said that there will be other services (for which we will have to pay large amounts of money for data ) which will help users to "work" with Ease in other words we will be able to go about our daily lives knowing they are freaking reading our mails which for me working in a MNC the very reason our company choose BES, is to uphold topmost security measures on large business deals and the fact that a lifeline (BES) is gonna be blocked sounds kind off concerning, lets wait and wathc we have till october 11th i hope there is a change of heart.
    08-01-10 08:40 AM
    Saudi Arabia is to prevent the use of the Blackberry-to-Blackberry instant messaging service.
    08-02-10 06:29 AM
    Lord help us all, whose protests against tyranny are insufficient and inneffective.
    08-02-10 06:49 AM
    So let me get this straight-- those POS don't wanna allow BB cause it's too secure and they can't spy on their citizens???????!!!!

08-02-10 06:56 AM
    Huh, makes a person wonder if we'll ever hear from bbmaniac again.
    08-02-10 09:03 AM
    Why is this in a device specific forum? And who cares anyways?
    08-02-10 09:07 AM
    Somebody move this thread to off-topic. now.

08-02-10 09:49 AM
    Why is this in a device specific forum? And who cares anyways?
    You read my mind.

And yes, who cares?
    08-02-10 09:54 AM
    the people that live there probably care

and imho this is complete BS

i mean come on, the the US allows them and doesnt need access to them to ensure national security then no one else does... no one is trying to bomb the UAE they are coming after the US (no offense) so i dont see what the issue they are having.. they need to come out of the stone age and get with the times
    08-02-10 11:19 AM
    then they should get a website and post this nonsense there.....in the mean time, back to far more important stuff that really matters...
    08-02-10 11:24 AM
    Yeah and who cares about that?
    08-02-10 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD